Checking firearms, SJU-ORD

Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Checking firearms, SJU-ORD

Hello, I'm looking for info from flyers that have checked firearms in domestic flight, in particular with AA or UA. I'm planning on bringing my dad's firearms from Puerto Rico to ORD. From what I've read in TSA, they must be checked in a TSA approved case, I've read up the checking in firearms section from AA/UA and I can check up to 5 guns per case, and I can have multiple cases. They don't require registration info. From my part I have my valid IL FOID card.
Am I missing something, any other additional suggestions, recommendations on travel gun case (there are 6 guns in total) should I insure the case, thoughts?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:18 pm

Just a thought, you may get more info by asking on gun-oriented sites (even if not specifically travel-focused). I suspect the fraction of gun owners who fly with guns is greater than the fraction of FTers who fly with guns.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Not sure about any possible hoops there might be since you're originating in Puerto Rico. I noted that there were lots of signs in the Virgin Islands airports, regarding declaring your guns, enough that you could read between the lines regarding local firearm possession.

The issue might not be the flying part; it might be the traveling to the airport (and entering the airport) part.

I mean, it's not Texas:

It has been years since Mrs. Fdog and I flew with pistols to competitions. Some things that were issues:
  • Make sure your name and mobile number are in at least 2 places on your Pelican case(s)
  • Your mobile is actually turned on, so if they want to inspect the case, you will get the call. Otherwise the case stays at that airport
  • Carry a spare key for the lock
  • Empty your mags! This happened to us. Even though there were no rounds in the pistol proper, someone at the xray interpreted "inside the magazine" as being "inside the firearm"

All the best, James
Kawliga, 355F1 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Pelican cases are hands down the best, although I did just pick up an Apache from Harbor Freight which is of similar quality but less expensive.

On the insurance question, my husband’s suggestion is to talk to an FFL, since shipping the firearms might be a better option. Also, if you’re familiar with ARFCOM, they have “Hometown” forums where you can cross post to both IL and PR members, to check for any local specific regs.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
You will go to the check in counter and declare that you are traveling with legal firearms. You will check in like normal and then be directed to TSA for further clearance of cases the rifles are in.
Expect that the cases will be charged both an oversized and over weight luggage fee. Last time I took 3 rifles on AA it was $200 for that 3 rifle case.

In addition to TSA approved cases you need TSA approved locks for each case which you will put one in the presence of TSA after they have inspected the case and rifle(s).
If bringing ammunition, it must be in a separate piece of luggage from rifle(s) and in original box or plastic box which contains place for individual rounds.

When you arrive at the destination, the case will either be at the oversized luggage area or a TSA luggage area depending on the airline and size of airport.

It's not hard but just have to follow the steps in order.

Alll the best.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Originally Posted by mnhusker
You will go to the check in counter and declare that you are traveling with legal firearms. You will check in like normal and then be directed to TSA for further clearance of cases the rifles are in.
Expect that the cases will be charged both an oversized and over weight luggage fee. Last time I took 3 rifles on AA it was $200 for that 3 rifle case.

In addition to TSA approved cases you need TSA approved locks for each case which you will put one in the presence of TSA after they have inspected the case and rifle(s).
If bringing ammunition, it must be in a separate piece of luggage from rifle(s) and in original box or plastic box which contains place for individual rounds.

When you arrive at the destination, the case will either be at the oversized luggage area or a TSA luggage area depending on the airline and size of airport.

Alll the best.
Unless there are additional TSA or airline reqs specifically for rifles that arent described here, thats not quite accurate.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

Most calibers of small arms ammunition are allowed to be in the case if in the proper packaging and within quantity limits. Any lock is suitable as long as it completely secures the case and the passenger is the only person who can open the lock in the presence of TSA (if requested). There also isnt a list of TSA-approved cases, its up to the passenger to research and verify. TSA only says it has to be a locked, hard-sided container.

Im not sure how AA handles it, but I was surprised at how minimal the process is with AS. Although, maybe its just been luck of the draw and/or due to checking in gun-friendly states. Ive read that some TSA agents are a lot more strict than others, so its a good idea to prep for the worst.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by Kawliga
Unless there are additional TSA or airline reqs specifically for rifles that arent described here, thats not quite accurate.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

Most calibers of small arms ammunition are allowed to be in the case if in the proper packaging and within quantity limits. Any lock is suitable as long as it completely secures the case and the passenger is the only person who can open the lock in the presence of TSA (if requested). There also isnt a list of TSA-approved cases, its up to the passenger to research and verify. TSA only says it has to be a locked, hard-sided container.

Im not sure how AA handles it, but I was surprised at how minimal the process is with AS. Although, maybe its just been luck of the draw and/or due to checking in gun-friendly states. Ive read that some TSA agents are a lot more strict than others, so its a good idea to prep for the worst.
You said it better regarding "TSA approved cases". What I was trying to verbalize and didnt do every well was that the case makers will tell you whether or not their cases are "airline approved, TSA approved" in their marketing and this will then allow you to know that you can use their product.
https://planomolding.com/products/fi...40468133970080

In my defense, I am posting under the influence of oxycodone, 9 days after 4 vessel bypass surgery, so I am " doing the best I can"

Although AA's policy does not mention it specifically, they have always made me keep my ammunition and rifles separate when i have flown with them.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ammunition.jsp

All the best.
DiamondMile and Kawliga like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Others have stated the TSA requirements but make sure that the firearms are actually legal in Chicago.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Just a thought, you may get more info by asking on gun-oriented sites (even if not specifically travel-focused). I suspect the fraction of gun owners who fly with guns is greater than the fraction of FTers who fly with guns.
TSA website is pretty informative and comprehensive actually. However, I agree with FlyingEgghead. If you want to read up on lots of real world, recent experiences, then hunting forums are a good place to get lots of information and questions and answers e.g. texashuntingforum, nchuntandfish, etc., etc. I'm not so sure about gun owners in general traveling with firearms, but hunters deal with this all the time. BTW, similar process for checking crossbow or compound bow, but somewhat simpler overall. Likewise for traveling with a speargun.

Leave plenty of extra time for check in.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 1:48 am
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by mnhusker

Alll the best.
Don't use TSA locks.

You are the ONLY one allowed to open a gun box or case. TSA locks have publicly available keys.

Any lockable box is fine, key or combo.

Ammo in ammo box, not free and not in mags.

Both can be locked in the same luggage.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Don't use TSA locks.

You are the ONLY one allowed to open a gun box or case. TSA locks have publicly available keys.

Any lockable box is fine, key or combo.

Ammo in ammo box, not free and not in mags.

Both can be locked in the same luggage.
Good info..,,BUT whether you can check ammo and guns in the SAME bag is airline dependent.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 5:32 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by trooper
Good info..,,BUT whether you can check ammo and guns in the SAME bag is airline dependent.

Ive never had an airline (AA, HA, WN, UA) say a word about the ammo in the same bag.

But yes, there are differing rules on different airlines, and also the rules made up on the spot by employees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.