Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American announces agreement to buy up to 20 Overture aircraft from Boom Supersonic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American announces agreement to buy up to 20 Overture aircraft from Boom Supersonic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I hope it works, but for now one of the stupidest things I’ve heard 🤦‍♂️
skylady likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Boeing has 56,000 full time engineering staff.

Boom has 150 total staff, including administration, accounting. HR, and Public Relations.

I think it's time to cash out my HyperLoop and Theranos profits, and go all in on this.
Don't forget Bed Bath and Beyond stock on the way.
AndyPatterson and Ghoulish like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
I guess that makes sense. It just seems like it would be easier/more cost-effective to use existing tech to push closer to .99 mach, and reap the benefit of noticeably faster transcons
Except that’s not the way physics works. Mach 0.99 takes a lot more than 16% (0.14/0.85) more energy than Mach 0.85, in part because if the speed of the airframe is Mach 0.99, there will be significant amounts of air passing the wing at more than Mach 1. For example, the airfoil effect relies on the air on top of the wing going faster than the air below the wing, creating lift. I’m a physicist, not an engineer (to say the least!), but my understanding is that a lot of the engineering in a supersonic plane is to minimize the amount of air that’s going much faster than other air to lessen this problem. But as long as you’re in the transonic regime, the energy requirements will be much higher than the marginal gain in speed. Just not cost effective unless you’re getting supersonic, where there are more than marginal gains in speed. (And, of course, if you’re using much more energy, the carbon footprint — a cost to the airline and therefore the consumer as well as the planet — is much higher; why bother for a marginal gain?)

Back to AA, they say in the press release that they only have to accept the planes if (paraphrasing) the design makes AA happy. We haven’t seen the contract, but that strongly suggests to me that AA’s commitment to this is pretty minimal. If the design comes through, AA’s got their order in and a place in line, but it doesn’t sound like it’s much skin off their back if, as expected, this isn’t flying in a commercially-viable way any time soon. And I’m sure Overture is more than happy to sell places in line for a pittance just for the press attention.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
Except that’s not the way physics works. Mach 0.99 takes a lot more than 16% (0.14/0.85) more energy than Mach 0.85, in part because if the speed of the airframe is Mach 0.99, there will be significant amounts of air passing the wing at more than Mach 1..
As they say, air is only thin when you're not moving.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:19 am
Suspended

deleted
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:07 pm

Should be interesting with 2 FAs!
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skylady
it would also be interesting with 10. Both are edge case hypotheticals that aren't going to be representative of reality. A premium/expensive service isn't going to be staffed like a CR7.

Last edited by Antarius; Aug 17, 2022 at 5:46 pm
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:27 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by ashill
Except that’s not the way physics works. Mach 0.99 takes a lot more than 16% (0.14/0.85) more energy than Mach 0.85, in part because if the speed of the airframe is Mach 0.99, there will be significant amounts of air passing the wing at more than Mach 1. For example, the airfoil effect relies on the air on top of the wing going faster than the air below the wing, creating lift. I’m a physicist, not an engineer (to say the least!), but my understanding is that a lot of the engineering in a supersonic plane is to minimize the amount of air that’s going much faster than other air to lessen this problem. But as long as you’re in the transonic regime, the energy requirements will be much higher than the marginal gain in speed. Just not cost effective unless you’re getting supersonic, where there are more than marginal gains in speed. (And, of course, if you’re using much more energy, the carbon footprint — a cost to the airline and therefore the consumer as well as the planet — is much higher; why bother for a marginal gain?)

Back to AA, they say in the press release that they only have to accept the planes if (paraphrasing) the design makes AA happy. We haven’t seen the contract, but that strongly suggests to me that AA’s commitment to this is pretty minimal. If the design comes through, AA’s got their order in and a place in line, but it doesn’t sound like it’s much skin off their back if, as expected, this isn’t flying in a commercially-viable way any time soon. And I’m sure Overture is more than happy to sell places in line for a pittance just for the press attention.
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Boeing has 56,000 full time engineering staff.

Boom has 150 total staff, including administration, accounting. HR, and Public Relations.

I think it's time to cash out my HyperLoop and Theranos profits, and go all in on this.
Comparing this two, it makes Baltia look like it is going to fly soon!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by skylady
Who are we kidding, it will be "Operated by Envoy- d.b.a. American Eagle"

I
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Who are we kidding, it will be "Operated by Envoy- d.b.a. American Eagle"I
The AA pilot's SCOPE clause requires that any aircraft with a max gross takeoff weight over 86,000 be flown by AA pilots. The Overture is nearly double that.
jerseytom likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:26 pm

This smells so bad it is beyond vaporware. I can only imagine non refundable deposits held in some type of escrow or hedged. I suggest anyone who thinks this aircraft is possible read about Concorde development
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:56 am

Rolls just pulled out of the engine development. Might signal the end of the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.