Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American announces agreement to buy up to 20 Overture aircraft from Boom Supersonic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American announces agreement to buy up to 20 Overture aircraft from Boom Supersonic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Was the "non-refundable deposit" $1 per plane?
Centurion and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Great! Now we can find out our bags are lost hours sooner.
drgreg, TPJ, Parkdesigner and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:53 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
A little late to the party. UA made a similar commitment 15 months ago.
https://boom-press-assets.s3-us-west...Supersonic.pdf

The difference here being that AA waited until Boom revealed "final production design" last month and put down a non refundable deposit for 20. According to the press release, it will still only achieve supersonic overwater due to the noise regs that restricted the Concorde in the same way 50 years ago. Granted, all the technologies related to going supersonic have vastly improved since the initial SST design of the 60's, and having just a fleet of 14 between 2 airlines made it costly to maintain as it continued to age (despite flying for several years after the Paris crash). 65-80 seats for flights under 5 hours will likely premium economy style seating up front and some revamped main cabin style seatings. No need for lie flat seats (and the associated weight) on those medium length trips.

This won't likely make it into revenue service by 2029, if ever, though.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This is bound to fail, price is king, AA will go under, I'll be flying BFS on NK to Heathrow.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:44 am
Suspended

Boom?

If there's ever an accident, the dark jokes will, unfortunately, write themselves.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by EXP100
Interesting if this ever gets to built I'm assuming it would be attractive for very thin but long routes. Like a 175 to certain South American cities. But:

1. This thing would need to have proven economics
2. The acceptance of the a/c by the public. Would you want to be in a 175 for a six hour flight?
3. Cost of operation, including training costs
4. And of course the a/c actually needs to make it to market.
Long thin routes? If this plane flew as marketed by the manufacturer, this would only make sense on short intercontinental fat routes as a complement to normal widebody service.No long, thin route has demand for 75 business class fares every day no matter how fast the plane is. The market for this plane would have to be mid-length routes with a ton of demand that can be consolidated from a few widebody business class cabins to one or two of these planes, routes like east coast US to London (which AA mentions in their press release). They also mention west coast to Hawaii, but LOL at demand for 75 seats at $5000 fares to Hawaii: if there were demand for those fares to Hawaii, airlines would use widebodies with flat beds from the west coast where they don't have to use widebodies for the range. And the benefits of flying this from DFW-Hawaii won't be much if it can't fly supersonic over land.

But it also wouldn't be six hours in an E175-type cabin; it's only 3.5 hours NYC-LON. Its advertised range is roughly 4.5 hours of flying time, so no six-hour flights without a fuel stop.

With a quoted 4890 statute mile range, it can't even fly trans-Pacific (except maybe SEA-TYO, so maybe this would make AA's SEA hub real?).
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
No engines exist for it. You have a company with no experience, that has yet to even complete a research/test platform, but will still make the first flight in 6 years.

It's as patently ridiculous as the Jet Token "Series A" crowdsourcing on social media.
I do hope it gets built, but so far, all Boom has proven is that they are excellent at marketing. Lots of noise, no substance yet.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by marnold3
Hot Damn! If this comes to fruition, it is definitely an inaugural I plan to be flying.
Me, too! Count me in! I wanna flying!
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
For the engines, supercruise is possible, the F22 Raptor can maintain a speed of mach 1.8 without afterburners.

I for one hope it happens but, it will start off as a niche product that could end up being a springboard to newer planes with better range and fuel economy.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Some essential reading courtesy of Robert Boyle

i know it’s good form to include a short quotation from a linked article so I’ll leave you with Boyle’s conclusion. You should read the article in full though.

https://www.gridpoint.consulting/blog/has-the-time-come-for-a-return-to-supersonic-travel

Much as the aviation geek in me would love to see the age of supersonic travel return, I can’t see the economics working. Maybe it would work on a handful of routes, but there is no way Boom is going to have a viable programme on that basis. The smaller the global fleet, the higher the costs of supporting the aircraft, especially one as unique as Overture will be. Niche aircraft tend not to survive.As if that wasn’t enough, the environmental case seems to be a showstopper
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Boom?

If there's ever an accident, the dark jokes will, unfortunately, write themselves.
what a ghoulish way of thinking
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Less than 1% to fill order and this is the reason why:

A book by R.E.G. Davies, highly respected aviation author and former Director of the Smithsonian Air and Space museum.

His book is based on a detailed market study which showed that supersonic aircraft did not provide a benefit to the traveling public wether travel east or west due to the "time zone" impact. That is if on flies London to Tokyo supersonic, you get there faster alright but you arrive at times that do not synchs with business activity.

Same thing occurs if you are flying LAX to Sydney.

Link to book on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by prof
what a ghoulish way of thinking
"No, BOOM on the ticket wasn't referring to the equipment, it's one of the T&Cs"
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Less than 1% to fill order and this is the reason why:

A book by R.E.G. Davies, highly respected aviation author and former Director of the Smithsonian Air and Space museum.

His book is based on a detailed market study which showed that supersonic aircraft did not provide a benefit to the traveling public wether travel east or west due to the "time zone" impact. That is if on flies London to Tokyo supersonic, you get there faster alright but you arrive at times that do not synchs with business activity.

Same thing occurs if you are flying LAX to Sydney.

Link to book on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Supersonic-Ai...ks%2C98&sr=1-1
The Concorde was relatively successful demand wise. The issue was running a subfleet of 7 40 year old aircraft for each airline.

They don't fit every use case, but there's definitely value in speeding up travel. People flying west will benefit significantly. Also, the daytime TATL flights would be ideally replaced by this.

It's an interesting book and makes some valid points, but we also should remember that it was published in 1998. Technology has advanced significantly since then as have the number of passengers traveling.

My skepticism isn't about the market but the manufacturer. First flight in 3 years where engines aren't set? Good luck with that.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by marnold3
Hot Damn! If this comes to fruition, it is definitely an inaugural I plan to be flying.
Exactly!

If it makes it into the schedule, I'm on it.

One of my big regrets was not taking the Concorde, I was too cheap and always booked a 74.

All the best, James
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.