Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ConciergeKey Status (challenge?) For Sale on eBay for $2,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:14 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

What the heck??

And this seller has a lot of history selling DL and UA's top-tier status, too....(along with tons of sports trading cards? LoL)

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/284931587180?

Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Rather odd

My first thought was that this is an attempt at scamming people out of $$$, or it is a honey pot by AA themselves.....
But with such a high seller rating, one would tend to think the seller actual can follow thru on his items/packages for sale. Or historically they have at least.

But I am 100% sure AA (or really any airline for that matter?) would not appreciate someone outside the organization selling status. After all, the airline wants their cut

How has this seller not got caught in the cross hairs of an airline yet, and been issued a rather decisive cease and desist?
boss315, wrp96, rt23456p and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I would guess the seller (or someone he is working with) is a corporate travel agent or otherwise has access to a large corporate account with the pre-negotiated ability to give out CK challenges to employees. Can't imagine he will be able to keep this up for too long before AA shuts it down.
boss315, wrp96, Antarius and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sounds .like a blatant violation of AA's T&C's. I would think this guy would be barred from Advantage (at best) and sued (at worst).

moron.
boss315, wrp96 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Sounds .like a blatant violation of AA's T&C's. I would think this guy would be barred from Advantage (at best) and sued (at worst).

moron.
based upon aa holding executive platinum members accounts hostage until the paid the difference for hidden city tickets this can't possibly end well.
enviroian, wrp96 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Apparently two have been sold. Man, I wish I could be concierge key…I actually legitimately dream about it (I know that’s weird)…but I wouldn’t touch this auction with a ten foot pole.

scoonee, wrp96 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Looks like the seller is primarily a memorabilia dealer, but has been selling various car/hotel/airline status (some challenges) since at least May.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:38 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by jtav559
My first thought was that this is an attempt at scamming people out of $$$, or it is a honey pot by AA themselves.....
Honeypot seems unlikely as it’d be against eBay’s terms of service. Not that AA is above hypocrisy…
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is it possible it’s a sting operation by AA?

I know it sounds ridiculous but who knows what hell is going on at AA these days.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I'm fascinated by this... I'm keeping an eye on this thread for developments. What on Earth is going on here!? Does not sound kosher...
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:37 am

This doesn't sound like a particularly good deal to me... you have to spend $15,000 in 3 months to extend your status. At that pace of spend, you might qualify for CK outright. I realize you could time it with a couple big J trips, but it's still a really high bar for most people to meet.
Spanish likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by rucksack
This doesn't sound like a particularly good deal to me... you have to spend $15,000 in 3 months to extend your status. At that pace of spend, you might qualify for CK outright. I realize you could time it with a couple big J trips, but it's still a really high bar for most people to meet.
Most definitely. But if one wants to fast-track to CK status and anticipates significant spending this year, the deal is great. How legitimate could this possibly be, though?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:16 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I think the best guess given in this thread is that it's someone affiliated with a corp travel agency (or similar) where the airlines allot these to them to give to their employees. Either way, it would still seem to be a violation of both the airline(s) T&C as well as the respective employer of the seller. I don't think it would take much for the airline to send a letter to ebay to cease and desist these listings. And if these chits handed out to agencies have any way of tracking, that would also be pretty easy to not only trace back to the seller but to revoke it from the buyer.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Most definitely a scam. They said the time it takes to process it is 3 weeks which gives them enough time for the money to be available reach their account and cash it out. After 3 weeks and you don’t get the status you will put in a chargeback and will be refunded however PayPal will lose out as they won’t be able to recover the funds from the seller.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by PHL
I think the best guess given in this thread is that it's someone affiliated with a corp travel agency (or similar) where the airlines allot these to them to give to their employees. Either way, it would still seem to be a violation of both the airline(s) T&C as well as the respective employer of the seller. I don't think it would take much for the airline to send a letter to ebay to cease and desist these listings. And if these chits handed out to agencies have any way of tracking, that would also be pretty easy to not only trace back to the seller but to revoke it from the buyer.
I know the business world is littered with stories of greed... but can you imagine the greed and lunacy if this is the case? Negotiate a few CK trial slots for committing $XXX,XXX spend for your company to AA, and then reselling those slots to a few random people for $2k? Unless you're already planning on quitting in a few weeks, this is a great exit strategy from your current company.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.