Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ConciergeKey Status (challenge?) For Sale on eBay for $2,000

ConciergeKey Status (challenge?) For Sale on eBay for $2,000

Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:22 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by djtriggz
Most definitely a scam. They said the time it takes to process it is 3 weeks which gives them enough time for the money to be available reach their account and cash it out. After 3 weeks and you dont get the status you will put in a chargeback and will be refunded however PayPal will lose out as they wont be able to recover the funds from the seller.
Unless the account was hacked, it's hard to believe it's a scam in the sense that they're out to steal your money and give you nothing because of the high number of feedbacks and long history (2010) of the account. I'm going with that the individual has access to these chits to give out and is doing it against just about every T&C out there.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:23 am

I do not think it is a scam.

Most definitely a scam. They said the time it takes to process it is 3 weeks which gives them enough time for the money to be available reach their account and cash it out. After 3 weeks and you dont get the status you will put in a chargeback and will be refunded however PayPal will lose out as they wont be able to recover the funds from the seller.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:27 am
Suspended

Nonsense. These sellers have a pretty long track record of successful sales to buyers with hundreds of positive feedback.

I've bought status on ebay before.

I swear there are some people who insist everything on ebay is a scam.

Try being a seller, it's brutal. Your money will be withheld for extended periods, and if there's any whiff of illegitimatacy they confiscate your funds with little recourse.
jhalapin likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
That's pretty ghoulish.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:38 am
Suspended

Nonsense. These sellers have a pretty long track record of successful sales to buyers with hundreds of positive feedback.

I swear there are some people who insist everything on ebay is a scam.

Try being a seller, it's brutal. Your money will be withheld for extended periods, and if there's any whiff of illegitimatacy they confiscate your funds with little recourse.
exactly, it is nearly impossible to scam people on ebay. However, as a buyer its incredibly easy to scam people saying you never received your item. This seller has only ever had one negative review with over a thousand positive. I highly doubt they are trying to scam people, that ebay account is worth a lot more than $2,000.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
That's pretty ghoulish.
Shh. Keep it between us ok?

Also, don't tell anyone foreign airline status allows access to international lounges on domestic flights

ebay polices these listings closely. When they say they need a certain amount of time, that becomes the delivery date in the listing.

So they can't collect the money from your payment, and all the consumer protection clocks don't begin until that distant delivery date.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dave_261
I know the business world is littered with stories of greed... but can you imagine the greed and lunacy if this is the case? Negotiate a few CK trial slots for committing $XXX,XXX spend for your company to AA, and then reselling those slots to a few random people for $2k? Unless you're already planning on quitting in a few weeks, this is a great exit strategy from your current company.
Who's to say the company can't do with them as they wish? Perhaps they have a ultra-high spend, but few employees. I'm sure the airlines are giving these in exchange for something that makes them a minor marketing expense.

Thai sells Oneworld Gold status, for $10k in flight credit that can be transferred to anyone.

You could buy that, sell the flight credits, and keep the status.

Others have as well in the past.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:24 am

Who's to say the company can't do with them as they wish? Perhaps they have a ultra-high spend, but few employees. I'm sure the airlines are giving these in exchange for something that makes them a minor marketing expense.

Thai sells Oneworld Gold status, for $10k in flight credit that can be transferred to anyone.

You could buy that, sell the flight credits, and keep the status.

Others have as well in the past.
Why would Thai (Star Alliance), be selling Oneworld status? That alone would cause me pause on the whole deal.....
EuropeanPete, wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JasYHZ
Why would Thai (Star Alliance), be selling Oneworld status? That alone would cause me pause on the whole deal.....
Revenue. The airlines pay a certain amount into the alliance "pot" for status holders. It's not as if anything's being stolen. I presume they're required to sell it with something airline related and not outright, to maintain program integrity. FinnAir did something like this before.

Franky, rather than encouraging loyalty by offering the incentive of status retroactively, getting guaranteed loyalty with a non refundable upfront spend of $xxxxx on their flights is smart, benefiting all involved.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Revenue. The airlines pay a certain amount into the alliance "pot" for status holders. It's not as if anything's being stolen. I presume they're required to sell it with something airline related and not outright, to maintain program integrity. FinnAir did something like this before.
They're offering Star Alliance Gold, not Oneworld status.

I think that's what tripped up the poster above (and me) for a minute.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I don't understand how the buyer of this CK can actually do this. Doesn't AA check to ensure one achieved such status by the book?

How does one "sell" status anyway? It's not like CK status is able to be gifted to someone else (right?).
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:48 am
Suspended

I don't understand how the buyer of this CK can actually do this. Doesn't AA check to ensure one achieved such status by the book?

How does one "sell" status anyway? It's not like CK status is able to be gifted to someone else (right?).
Nearly every Airline program offers the ability to gift status to anyone you choose.

The CK offered is a short term status challenge on top of a gifted status.

At least it's not the horrific dilution we see in the hotel loyalty program space with credit cards giving status to anyone.

"Buying" status really requires you to be a frequent flyer within that alliance or airline anyway to make it worth the high expense and trouble.
enviroian and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:13 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Apparently AA gifts CK to big spending companies who, in turn, can gift the status (in this case a challenge) to whomever they want - with the intent being a frequent flyer in the company who will continue to spend $$ on AA. I'm pretty sure, however, that outright selling it ala eBay is not permitted....
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHL
Apparently AA gifts CK to big spending companies who, in turn, can gift the status (in this case a challenge) to whomever they want - with the intent being a frequent flyer in the company who will continue to spend $$ on AA. I'm pretty sure, however, that outright selling it ala eBay is not permitted....
Perhaps a technical violation, but what's the worst the airline could suffer? There's a good chance someone's going to be motivated to maximize benefits by flying more than otherwise to maintain status they paid for.

Better than giving it to some employee's kid in college.

If airlines were really crafty, I could think of a host of reasons to allow a small quantity of status to slip out of "the back door".
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spanish
Most definitely. But if one wants to fast-track to CK status and anticipates significant spending this year, the deal is great. How legitimate could this possibly be, though?
The ebay listing is gone--was it $15k on flights only, or did it say $15k on credit cards counted? If the latter far from impossible if you're MSing AA status anyhow.
Spanish likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.