Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA-marketed, JL-operated basic economy fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Does JL have basic economy tpac fares? I don't remember seeing them before. I saw a fare on Google Flights that was cheaper if purchased through AA compared to JL. I clicked on the fare and AA is showing it as a basic economy fare. I've never seen it before. AA is asking for payment to upgrade to the main cabin, which will then bring the price closer to JL's price. I'm currently a BAEC Silver and I intend to credit the miles to BA. I forgot what the restrictions are on the basic economy fare, but I'm assuming no seat selection and no checked luggage? Can I override that with my OWS status? I'm assuming I'll earn the same amount of Avios and TPs with basic economy as the main cabin fare?

Thank you!
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA lets you cancel/refund within 24 hours of purchase provided it is more than 2 days prior to departure. Buy it, then go to JL site to see if you can select seats. If not, go back and cancel/refund on AA.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by seawolf
AA lets you cancel/refund within 24 hours of purchase provided it is more than 2 days prior to departure. Buy it, then go to JL site to see if you can select seats. If not, go back and cancel/refund on AA.
JAL is very particular about not allowing seat selection if you are traveling on a codeshare operated by JAL. They will ask you to contact the marketing carrier (AA), and AA will make the seat selection if possible.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Does JL have basic economy tpac fares? I don't remember seeing them before. I saw a fare on Google Flights that was cheaper if purchased through AA compared to JL. I clicked on the fare and AA is showing it as a basic economy fare. I've never seen it before. AA is asking for payment to upgrade to the main cabin, which will then bring the price closer to JL's price. I'm currently a BAEC Silver and I intend to credit the miles to BA. I forgot what the restrictions are on the basic economy fare, but I'm assuming no seat selection and no checked luggage? Can I override that with my OWS status? I'm assuming I'll earn the same amount of Avios and TPs with basic economy as the main cabin fare?

Thank you!
Seat Selection: Maybe (It's a hassle to get seat selection for AA*JL flights, as you have to call AA and ask them to request the seats. Historically for some booking classes, the request cannot be made)
Checked Luggage: Yes (should be 2pc, and should be printed on your receipt)
Avios and TP: AA*JL tpac flights book into regular booking classes, and should earn accordingly. Domestic segments book into B, check with BA if that earns miles

Biggest differentiator is BE fares might be non-changeable and non-refundable. Main Cabin fares generally allow changes
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by shd9
JAL is very particular about not allowing seat selection if you are traveling on a codeshare operated by JAL. They will ask you to contact the marketing carrier (AA), and AA will make the seat selection if possible.
Originally Posted by shd9
Seat Selection: Maybe (It's a hassle to get seat selection for AA*JL flights, as you have to call AA and ask them to request the seats. Historically for some booking classes, the request cannot be made)
Checked Luggage: Yes (should be 2pc, and should be printed on your receipt)
Avios and TP: AA*JL tpac flights book into regular booking classes, and should earn accordingly. Domestic segments book into B, check with BA if that earns miles

Biggest differentiator is BE fares might be non-changeable and non-refundable. Main Cabin fares generally allow changes
I'm glad I asked here first. It seems kind of odd that despite the supposedly close AA/JL relationship, I'll have to call AA to inquire about set selection and JL can't accommodate me on their operated flight. Judging from what you said, I'm guessing AA will ask for payment to select my seat. Does JL even have basic economy fares? If not, it seems odd for AA to sell a basic economy fare for a carrier that doesn't.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm glad I asked here first. It seems kind of odd that despite the supposedly close AA/JL relationship, I'll have to call AA to inquire about set selection and JL can't accommodate me on their operated flight. Judging from what you said, I'm guessing AA will ask for payment to select my seat. Does JL even have basic economy fares? If not, it seems odd for AA to sell a basic economy fare for a carrier that doesn't.
AA will most likely not ask you for payments for seat selection on JAL. So if they can select a seat, it will be free. After the AA agent selects a seat, please wait a few seconds and ask him/her to make sure JAL honored the request. Although some seats appear to be available on AA's system, JAL honors seating requests by elite status, fare purchased, and some other factors, so the request might bounce (lol, learnt this the hard way).

JAL does not have Basic Economy, but they have the equivalent of a non-refundable / non-changeable fare called Super Saver or something. AA's JBV partners all have the same thing with a different name (for example, BA calls them Hand-Baggage Only, HBO fares).

All these have nothing to do with the AA/JL partnership. JAL is just really really adamant about marketing carrier handling all services prior to check-in. For example, if your itinerary only has AA*JL codeshare and no JL prime flights, the reservation won't even show up on JAL.com. Like, it just says the reservation doesn't exist lol
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
I booked one of these AA marketed fares on JAL just a month ago, and be warned. JAL knows exactly the fare rules and baggage rules which AA mentions in their ticket. If you ticket says zero baggage allowance, then JAL will know it's zero baggage allowance. Not sure how your BA status will affect it though, because I didn't have any status after Covid halted travels anymore.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
By the way, the trap I fell into was that I actually did not book a Basic Economy Ticket. I bought a regular AA fare and looked up the Baggage allowance on the JAL website. JAL said 2 bags in Economy for all TPAC fares, so I brought two bags with me. Turns out that AA tickets only allow 1 bag in Economy, so JAL made me ponder up some cash at the check-in counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.