Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium economy ticket, AA wants to seat me down the back

Premium economy ticket, AA wants to seat me down the back

Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by PHL
When you are ticketed for one class of service, you cannot see seats in other classes. In the case of an intl. trip with PE sold as a separate cabin I believe it won't show up. Because the OP is only seeing selections in main cabin, it def sounds like an IT glitch that should be resolved with a phone call or twitter DM.
I believe American still treats Premium Economy as an Economy class ticket as you can't "upgrade" to Premium Economy with miles (and aren't forced to by PE to upgrade to Business with miles, etc.) since there isn't a "class of service" below that.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
I believe American still treats Premium Economy as an Economy class ticket as you can't "upgrade" to Premium Economy with miles (and aren't forced to by PE to upgrade to Business with miles, etc.) since there isn't a "class of service" below that.
What? No. Premium Economy is a separate class of service.
wrp96 and LBBflyer like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not wvwn close to correct. Premium Economy is a separate class of service. It is just not possible for some unknowm reason to yet upgrade using miles to PE
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by no1cub17
What? No. Premium Economy is a separate class of service.
Source? Link?

How do you upgrade from main cabin to premium economy using miles or an upgrade instrument?

You cant. Its still just an economy class of service.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Source? Link?

How do you upgrade from main cabin to premium economy using miles or an upgrade instrument?

Why is that the defining characteristic of a separate class?

Basic Economy (non EXP/CK) can't upgrade to business. Business isn't the same class as economy as a result.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:22 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Source? Link?
While it may be "just an economy" class, in the sense that they use the word Economy in the title really makes no difference. Nor does the fact that you can't use an instrument or miles to upgrade into it (yet). The level of service offered in terms of the hard and soft product are a significantly elevated level above every single main cabin seat behind the PE cabin, and AA feels they can charge a premium for it.

To the OP's issue - I did a mock booking JFK-LHR and, after choosing Main Cabin fare, I was only able to see the main cabin seat map. I'm curious to hear the outcome of OP's issue.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Of course PE is a separate class of service: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-economy.jsp

All this is peripheral to the main point of this thread, and we'll have to hope OP reports back on the outcome.
wrp96, Antarius and HiAperture like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 5:33 pm

Technically it is not a separate cabin. I know this sounds strange but i was told they cant call it a separate cabin. If they did, per their FA contract they would have to staff it with a minimum of 2 FAs. Hence there are no upgrades to this cabin It is all economy. Just a special section of economy with special benefits.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Of course PE is a separate class of service: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-economy.jsp

All this is peripheral to the main point of this thread, and we'll have to hope OP reports back on the outcome.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 777lover
Technically it is not a separate cabin. I know this sounds strange but i was told they can’t call it a separate cabin. If they did, per their FA contract they would have to staff it with a minimum of 2 FAs. Hence there are no upgrades to this “cabin” It is all economy. Just a special section of economy with special benefits.
I don't even know what you mean by "separate cabin."

It is most definitely a separate class of service though, with separate fare classes, defined hard and soft product enhancements, even separate award categories and pricing. And, if you'd read the linked page, you would know that AA even tells us "AAdvantage upgrades into Premium Economy aren’t available now, but will be at a later date." I'm pretty sure the only reason they're not available right now is that AA's stone-age IT can't handle that without significant updates.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:13 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777lover
Technically it is not a separate cabin. I know this sounds strange but i was told they can’t call it a separate cabin. If they did, per their FA contract they would have to staff it with a minimum of 2 FAs. Hence there are no upgrades to this “cabin” It is all economy. Just a special section of economy with special benefits.
I'm not versed in the FA contract...maybe you are, or maybe you've heard through the grapevine. But how does the FA union define 'cabin'? PE is it's own physical cabin, in the sense that it is separated by bulkhead walls from Biz and Main Cabin. PE is also sold as a separate class of service, as Biz and Main Cabin are. So where does the FA contract delineate "cabin" for the purposes of staffing? I thought the airline could staff as they please, so long as they meet the minimum FA staffing per FAA reg 14 CFR 121.391, which is based on how many passenger seats are in the entire aircraft. Essentially it means 1 FA per 50 seats. For AA that would mean minimums on PE equipped aircraft:

788 - 5
789 - 6
772 - 6
773 - 7

Haven't flown recently to do an FA headcount. Does AA stick to those minimums or are they staffing those aircraft with more than the minimum FAs? Does the FA contract make a staffing exception for a domestic run of a widebody where AA doesn't sell PE, but just makes those seats MCE?

Last edited by PHL; Aug 13, 2022 at 6:19 am
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
I called AA and got a super helpful person after about a 2-minute wait. She said there was something "odd" about the PNR but didn't elaborate. She was able to see the Y+ cabin and assign me seats without any problem. Later I asked her to remove my IB number and add my BA number but this she was unable to do (though she tried a couple of times). This is pretty much par for the course when you buy tickets from IB.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I would keep a close eye on your itinerary going forward to make sure nothing else "odd" happens with it, or the seating reverts to main cabin instead of premium economy.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by alanw
I called AA and got a super helpful person after about a 2-minute wait. She said there was something "odd" about the PNR but didn't elaborate. She was able to see the Y+ cabin and assign me seats without any problem. Later I asked her to remove my IB number and add my BA number but this she was unable to do (though she tried a couple of times). This is pretty much par for the course when you buy tickets from IB.
If it's an IB-issued ticket, which it appears to be in this case, you'd want to change the FFN on their system, not on AA's. If you can't make the change on IB's terrible website, try looking up the IB PNR on the 'manage my booking' section of either AY's website or RJ's website; sometimes they work better for such things. Also, as an aside, the standard fare code for premium economy is W, not Y+.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:02 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanw
I believe the only two fare buckets for PE are W and P. Did you ask the agent which fare class you are confirmed in?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
I'm not versed in the FA contract...maybe you are, or maybe you've heard through the grapevine. But how does the FA union define 'cabin'? PE is it's own physical cabin, in the sense that it is separated by bulkhead walls from Biz and Main Cabin. PE is also sold as a separate class of service, as Biz and Main Cabin are. So where does the FA contract delineate "cabin" for the purposes of staffing? I thought the airline could staff as they please, so long as they meet the minimum FA staffing per FAA reg 14 CFR 121.391, which is based on how many passenger seats are in the entire aircraft. Essentially it means 1 FA per 50 seats. For AA that would mean minimums on PE equipped aircraft:

788 - 5
789 - 6
772 - 6
773 - 7

Haven't flown recently to do an FA headcount. Does AA stick to those minimums or are they staffing those aircraft with more than the minimum FAs? Does the FA contract make a staffing exception for a domestic run of a widebody where AA doesn't sell PE, but just makes those seats MCE?
AA has a contract with their FA's. That contract specifies staffing levels by aircraft, length of flight, international vs domestic, passenger load, etc. Obviously, FAA minimums must be met on all flights. Most non-transon domestic flights operate with FAA minimums. However, transcon and International may contractually require more than minimum staffing.

Back in the day, the FA contract requirements were quite complex (back when service levels were higher in coach domestically). When a full dinner service was served in both cabins on a medium length full flight, the contract required 5 FA's for the MD-80 and 72S, for example. But a Breakfast flight out of a non-hub city may only require 3. Even beverage server only flights were contractually complex: a full shorter flights may require 4, while a full longer flight may only require 3. Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.