Exec Plat recognition

Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
management has not trained crew to say a few words of thanks
You answered your own question. AA training appears to be the worst. I'm sure they are legally up to snuff on the safety bits, but beyond that there is no consistency in service level or how they interact with the pax generally. And this is not limited to flight attendants.

My EXP status is recognized more often on the regionals than mainline. I did get at least one card on a mainline flight this year. And on one of my rare appearances in Y the FA serving drinks gets to me and exclaims "You're Executive Platinum!".
Uzzar and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by gosha83
I am always startled when I fly on non-US OneWorld airlines and a purser approaches me, usually gets down to my level, and says a few words of thanks for being a OW Emerald. And I am not even their Elite flyer. I think it's easy to tell us, AA elites, because we don't know what to do in those situations, given that we rarely if ever get this kind of recognition. Agreed that I don't need it, but it seems like such a simple thing to do that costs them $0 and can offset some of the misses elsewhere in the offering.
Agreed. I usually reply, "thank you for having me today on Cathay Pacific (or whatever airline) and for the hospitality that you are providing." Always get great service after that.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:20 am

I get thanked by name almost every flight I would guess, at least 4 out of 5 flights — but I do have a very easy 4 letter last name so perhaps that’s it? This is only when flying up front. Had one flight this year where the FA brought back some snacks to thank me in coach (8C).

I have had at least 3 handwritten thank you notes, always when up front.

I am also a very very low revenue EXP flyer. I book cheap and hope for the upgrade.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
A bit off-topic, but related and positive. On a recent flight MIA-HAV, after we were seated (I was second row F, aisle) the captain came out from the cockpit, walked over to me, called me by my name, shook my hand, and told me he was glad I was on his flight. He then announced to the entire cabin that I was "one of our airline's most elite passengers" (I'm just EP), and he was honored to have me on his flight. A bit over the top, but hey.
robertablake and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catcher1
A bit off-topic, but related and positive. On a recent flight MIA-HAV, after we were seated (I was second row F, aisle) the captain came out from the cockpit, walked over to me, called me by my name, shook my hand, and told me he was glad I was on his flight. He then announced to the entire cabin that I was "one of our airline's most elite passengers" (I'm just EP), and he was honored to have me on his flight. A bit over the top, but hey.
A little over the top!? I'd say...

I'd be mortified if a captain or FA did something like that "for me". To the point that I'd probably complain about it. Thanking me is one thing, pointing me out to the entire cabin is a whole other thing...
enviroian and nineworldseries like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Woah. Perhaps the captain knows you and doesn't like you. That's highly embarrassing even if you are Ryan Bingham.
bse118 and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
A little over the top!? I'd say...

I'd be mortified if a captain or FA did something like that "for me". To the point that I'd probably complain about it. Thanking me is one thing, pointing me out to the entire cabin is a whole other thing...
Interesting take. I felt no insult or injury in his gesture, which was clearly well intended. Now if he had said I was a problem passenger....
AirP likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I too would be embarrassed and uncomfortable but would let it go, far more bothering things to worry about.

If I was super bothered and it was truly well intentioned, I would not file a complaint (I feel like risking punishment for enthusiastic employees is detrimental) but perhaps after the flight let the pilot know in a kind way I was embarrassed and like to keep a low profile. They will probably be gracious enough to receive the feedback.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
Been EXP for seven years. Gotten a note once, and verbal recognition maybe a dozen times. And I always made EXP by segments before LP’s. A lot of flights. I’m happy with just an upgrade and remaining incognito.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
I fly a few routes in 145s and I get it from those FAs fairly regularly. I've also gotten the thanks from an AS FA for being OW Emerald while sitting up front. I also tend to get it international J.

On domestic mainline AA, I got a card from an FA once this year, his cabin service (in J) was also incredible. I gave him like 10 certs and contacted twitter, which I've been told is a good way to acknowledge excellent service. Stuck in the back this year I had an FA who kept the drinks coming, so I'm counting that as tacit acknowledgement. That's it, twice, which is two more times than in all of 2019, 2020, and 2021 combined.

It's nice to get a thanks for flying or whatever, but if I'm in the back I want my beverage and processed mystery food to help take my mind off the experience.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:54 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Have never been thanked for my loyalty on an AA flight. Maybe once by an AAngel. UA club agents used to frequently thank me for being a 1K.
It's the little things that people remember. Sure maybe it's ego stroking, but every time you board an EK flight, the FA at the door greets elites with, "Mr. XXXX, welcome back. It's a pleasure to have you with us today." And that's just when you board! Later you'll often have the purser come by and offer a more personal welcome back, making small talk.
It just shows there is some appreciation, even if they are doing what is in their manual.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Since I made EXP (and am unlikely to keep it, thanks Loyalty Points), it's happened a couple of times, usually during drink service. I smile and order my drink.

Twice this year I've given out atta-boy/girl cards, the last to a newbie FA who was clearly doing his best to provide flawless service dealing with a full F cabin on a 321. He almost cried. The other was a regional FA. Other than those two I didn't think anyone was going above and beyond, even in J MIA/TLV and TLV/JFK last month where I felt they were phoning it in so they could get first dibs on the crew rest bunks.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't particularly like being thanked or recognized for any status. It's unnecessary and awkward. As long as I get the benefits I'm entitled to, I'm happy. If I get the occasional rule bent in my favor, I'm happier (eg I'm going to call and try to change a basic economy ticket in the next few days... wish me luck)
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Interesting take. I felt no insult or injury in his gesture, which was clearly well intended. Now if he had said I was a problem passenger....
It's no business of the other pax how much money I do or not spend with the airline. There's no need for the other pax to know I'm a 'high roller' (regardless of whether I am that in fact or not). There's no need to be explicitly called as better than than other passengers... etc...

It's basically the captain doing a DYKWIA for me...not appreciated.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If I get the occasional rule bent in my favor, I'm happier (eg I'm going to call and try to change a basic economy ticket in the next few days... wish me luck)
You are living up to your FT handle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.