FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Confused about what counts as Flagship. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2090191-confused-about-what-counts-flagship.html)

Eurynom0s Aug 9, 2022 6:52 pm

Confused about what counts as Flagship.

2 Attachment(s)
I'm looking at an AA LAX-BOS flight in J on their three-cabin aircraft and do I have this right that the same seat on the same flight can be Flagship if I pay cash and not Flagship if I pay in miles? I'm trying to figure this out for whether or not I have Flagship lounge access, I'd get to AA early if I have Flagship lounge access but I'd rather just go later if I'm only going to have Admirals Club access.

This is the cash vs miles for what I'm looking at.

NickP 1K Aug 9, 2022 7:09 pm

Award tool doesn't break out flagship last I looked a Business sold LAX-BOS in Business is a Flagship Transcon flight and you would get Flagship amenities and service

JJeffrey Aug 9, 2022 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 34501453)
I'm looking at an AA LAX-BOS flight in J on their three-cabin aircraft and do I have this right that the same seat on the same flight can be Flagship if I pay cash and not Flagship if I pay in miles?

No, it is considered Flagship Business regardless of whether you book with cash or miles. AA marketing is just very sloppy and inconsistent with when they use the term 'Flagship' or not.

Eurynom0s Aug 9, 2022 7:23 pm

2 Attachment(s)
<nvm on this followup question, I didn't notice operated by B6 instead of AA>

Uzzar Aug 9, 2022 7:29 pm

"Operated by JetBlue" = not flagship

Eurynom0s Aug 9, 2022 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Uzzar (Post 34501544)
"Operated by JetBlue" = not flagship

🤦‍♂️ Didn't notice it was B6 metal before posting it.

Okay thanks guys, this was very helpful. I honestly didn't even care that much whether or not I get Flagship Lounge access nearly as much as I just didn't want to show up early and then find out I don't.

Antarius Aug 9, 2022 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 34501524)
Ah okay. So now knowing that AA is sloppy with showing you that it's Flagship Business, is it also the case for example that all three of these LAX-BOS flights are Flagship Business, even though only the 10:30 PM is explicitly marked as Flagship?

Only the middle one is operated by AA. The others are JetBlue mint.

PES_B1 Aug 9, 2022 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 34501552)
🤦‍♂️ Didn't notice it was B6 metal before posting it.

Okay thanks guys, this was very helpful. I honestly didn't even care that much whether or not I get Flagship Lounge access nearly as much as I just didn't want to show up early and then find out I don't.

B6 offer a way superior product to AA, keep in mind!

Eurynom0s Aug 10, 2022 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by rt23456p (Post 34501874)
B6 offer a way superior product to AA, keep in mind!

How big of a difference would you say it is if the plan is to just get on the plane and go to sleep?

PES_B1 Aug 10, 2022 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 34504961)
How big of a difference would you say it is if the plan is to just get on the plane and go to sleep?

If it's the neo version on B6, even seat have a door, and direct aisle access, while on AA, you are cramping your foot in the small holes.

ryanbriar Aug 11, 2022 3:59 am

Originally Posted by rt23456p (Post 34505017)
If it's the neo version on B6, even seat have a door, and direct aisle access, while on AA, you are cramping your foot in the small holes.

I haven’t flown Mint in a few years, but I’ve heard that some of the Mint seats are having issues where the air cushion won’t inflate, making the seat feel like a park bench. I’ll be flying SFO-BOS next week (in a throne seat) so I’ll see how it stacks up with Flagship J / F. Also, how many neos are in the fleet?

B6 also doesn’t have any lounge etc. at LAX as far as I know. Especially with the red eye, being able to grab a bite at the FL, get on the plane and immediately go to sleep is critical.

Fraser Aug 11, 2022 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ryanbriar (Post 34505421)
I haven’t flown Mint in a few years, but I’ve heard that some of the Mint seats are having issues where the air cushion won’t inflate, making the seat feel like a park bench.

Yes, I was on the wrong end of this earlier in the year and have heard it happen numerous times, certainly not a rare phenomenon. I got notified at OLCI that my seat was broken and reassigned from one of the throne seats to one of the paired seats. Luckily I had the seat next to me free but if I didn't that would have felt a significant downgrade. IMO, the throne seats are better than AA transcon F and the paired seats are worse than AA transcon J.

PES_B1 Aug 12, 2022 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 34505882)
Yes, I was on the wrong end of this earlier in the year and have heard it happen numerous times, certainly not a rare phenomenon. I got notified at OLCI that my seat was broken and reassigned from one of the throne seats to one of the paired seats. Luckily I had the seat next to me free but if I didn't that would have felt a significant downgrade. IMO, the throne seats are better than AA transcon F and the paired seats are worse than AA transcon J.

That's why on the neo, they started charging people for the first row studio seats. :)

Dr Jabadski Aug 12, 2022 6:04 am

Originally Posted by rt23456p (Post 34501874)
B6 offer a way superior product to AA …

Disagree.

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 34504961)

Not big at all.

Only some seats, the so called “throne” seats (and actual aisle seats) have direct aisle access. AA A321T biz bulkhead seats have (different) large footwells. Small footwells for most AA A321T seats aren’t an issue for this 5’10” person, might be an issue for taller people.

I’ve flown both in biz recently, B6 once, AA 3 times. AA is superior. B6 more unpleasant than UA or AA transcon Biz

Antarius Aug 12, 2022 9:31 am

I don't find the 321T seats to have footwell issues. I'm 6'2" with large feet and haven't encountered the usual issues that I face with the foot jails.

The AA 789/some 777 seats (BE Aerospace Super Diamond) and the Qatar Q Suites are much much worse.