Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How do you Miscater F on a 319? (CMH-PHX 8/2)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald

I'm going CMH-PHX and then to SEA this morning on an A319, and I'm bummed that these will be the first two flights in months where I'm in PE rather than F. Saw it was a 319 and felt a bit better looking at only 8 F seats instead of 20.

I'm in 8C and the FA is quite apologetic to the second row of F; apparently CMH miscatered the flight and there are only 4 meals on board? One would think it would be more likely to be zero. Awkward.

So I'm feeling much better about not getting upgraded. GA comes on and hands out what I assumed were flight vouchers to row 2 of F. Damn, feeling a bit jelly again until he tells them they are meal vouchers for PHX to replace the miscatering. Crimeny! 2D and F vehemently refuse them and propose playing Rock-paper-scissors for the meals LOL.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
One thing I've always wondered...do AA (and other airlines) put penalties in their contracts with the caterers for mis-catering? I would think that they'd want that in there to try to minimize the amount of times this happens.
Spiff, donotblink and ezefllying like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:45 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I'm going CMH-PHX and then to SEA this morning on an A319, and I'm bummed that these will be the first two flights in months where I'm in PE rather than F. Saw it was a 319 and felt a bit better looking at only 8 F seats instead of 20.
Clearly you meant MCE rather than PE. Imagine if an A319 had true PE seats!

I don't know how the process works when a plane is catered, but I'm guessing the FAs don't check the loaded carts to confirm the right number of meals before the caterer dashes off. Or, are they supposed to and this crew did not?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Yes, MCE of course. So what ended up happening is that the FA split up the meals so that everyone got half a meal. Some got a fruit plate and some got whatever the other half was. Also, they got offered their choice of ANY of the snacks for sale "from the back." I know the first thing I want to eat in the morning is salami and gummy bears.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: Costco Club
Those PHX to outstation turn flights often get double catered in PHX so there’s a few ways that could’ve happened.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Hilarious. AA's cheapo management probably pays out more in compensation than it would cost to actually provide good service in the first place. Nice going Isom!
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Those PHX to outstation turn flights often get double catered in PHX so there’s a few ways that could’ve happened.
The plane came in from CLT (miraculously) and then sat overnight in CMH, so I would think this is squarely on CMH catering.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHL
Clearly you meant MCE rather than PE. Imagine if an A319 had true PE seats!
It does! Domestic F is the same seat as PE
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage
If catering screwed up, which they do on occasion, what do you expect AA to do? Magically come up with food? Usually if the issue can't be resolved by departure time the flight will need to leave the gate. You have paxs that need to make a connection in PHX and a late arriving flight then cascades during the day.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, MCE of course. So what ended up happening is that the FA split up the meals so that everyone got half a meal. Some got a fruit plate and some got whatever the other half was. Also, they got offered their choice of ANY of the snacks for sale "from the back." I know the first thing I want to eat in the morning is salami and gummy bears.
That's awesome. Thumbs up to the FAs for making a less than ideal situation work out as best they could.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by EXP100
If catering screwed up, which they do on occasion, what do you expect AA to do? Magically come up with food? Usually if the issue can't be resolved by departure time the flight will need to leave the gate. You have paxs that need to make a connection in PHX and a late arriving flight then cascades during the day.
Simple, I expect AA to proceed with the flight as scheduled. However, I think some reasonable compensation being proactively given to passengers is warranted. AA should also have it written into their contract with the caterer, that when the catering company mis-caters a flight, that they need to pay AA a penalty, which is what eventually gets passed on to the customer.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
The availability or unavailability of a $5 TV dinner (or breakfast in this case) has no bearing of my desire to be upgraded. I always would prefer to sit in F.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
The availability or unavailability of a $5 TV dinner (or breakfast in this case) has no bearing of my desire to be upgraded. I always would prefer to sit in F.
I don't think anyone here disagrees. But I also don't see how this has any bearing on the post by the OP.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Also, they got offered their choice of ANY of the snacks for sale "from the back." I know the first thing I want to eat in the morning is salami and gummy bears.
Sounds kind of like some European hotel breakfasts I’ve seen.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Blumie
Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't think anyone here disagrees. But I also don't see how this has any bearing on the post by the OP.
I've seen countless people on this board who would disagree, including apparently the OP:

So I'm feeling much better about not getting upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.