Questions about travel to Barcelona

Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Question Questions about travel to Barcelona

I haven't traveled internationally since last August. Many Covid-19 restrictions and requirements have changed since then. I have a trip to Barcelona coming-up next month. Onward JFK-BCN in AA 66, and return BCN-LHR in BA 477 connecting to LHR-JFK in AA 107 ticketed in J except BA 477. My questions are:

(1) Are we still using VeriFLY app to submit Covid-19 vaccination record, other entry/exit forms, etc. for all legs (entry at BCN, transfer at LHR, entry at JFK)?
(2) Is AA still using T5 at LHR for departure/arrival of JFK flights?
(3) In case AA 107 to JFK departs from T3, what is the current procedure at LHR to transfer from (arrival at) T5 to (departure from) T3? In the pre-Covid-19 era, there was airside shuttles between T5 and T3. Are those shuttles operating now?
(4) Is there any arrival lounge in BCN in AA's arrival terminal T1 (One World Emerald or Priority Pass)?
(5) Is there any important information about international travel that I should know since I haven't traveled internationally since August last year?

Will appreciate any feedback. Many thanks.

Tintin
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:04 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Tintin
I haven't traveled internationally since last August. Many Covid-19 restrictions and requirements have changed since then. I have a trip to Barcelona coming-up next month. Onward JFK-BCN in AA 66, and return BCN-LHR in BA 477 connecting to LHR-JFK in AA 107 ticketed in J except BA 477. My questions are:

(1) Are we still using VeriFLY app to submit Covid-19 vaccination record, other entry/exit forms, etc. for all legs (entry at BCN, transfer at LHR, entry at JFK)?
(3) In case AA 107 to JFK departs from T3, what is the current procedure at LHR to transfer from (arrival at) T5 to (departure from) T3? In the pre-Covid-19 era, there was airside shuttles between T5 and T3. Are those shuttles operating now?
(4) Is there any arrival lounge in BCN in AA's arrival terminal T1 (One World Emerald or Priority Pass)?
(5) Is there any important information about international travel that I should know since I haven't traveled internationally since August last year?

Tintin
1.) It's best you continue to use it since requirements can change at any time given the continued case ups/downs of COVID
2.) AA is fully in T3
3.) Underground train is free. There used to be a bus, but that doesn't appear to be an option on Heathrow.com web now
4.) There are several OW lounges, but they are all airside. I'm not aware of any arrival lounges you'd have access after clearing customs.
5.) Nothing significant has changed except the lifting of the mask mandate, though this is dependent on your destination so you'll have to check Spain's requirements (or they'll tell you once on board).

One comment about LHR - if you can change your ticket to just route direct BCN back to JFK, I highly recommend it to avoid LHR. It's been a bit of a nightmare in recent weeks and will likely continue to be until the peak Summer travel season is over. Even if it means you go BCN-MAD-JFK, or BCN-PHL and DRIVE to JFK it's a better option than risking the nightmare that is LHR. If you can't change it for any reason, watch your reservation closely in case they make any big changes to your return itinerary. Then you would likely be able to be rerouted via alternate means for no additional charges.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
3. There is an airside transfer bus.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
4. It has been 8 years since I did an AA arrival at BCN, but I recall it was a pretty low-key experience. About a 3-4 min walk from plane to Immigration. Short walk from Immigration to Bag Claim and Customs. Well signed and easy to navigate, just follow the herd.

Bag claim is a large area with some big carousels, so just keep your head on a swivel.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For the T5-T3 connection at LHR, after exiting the BCN flight follow the purple flight connections sign. It will take you to the airside bus to T3. At T3 you will go back through security.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Will appreciate any feedback. Many thanks.Tintin
1. Since April I've travelled to Austria, UK, Italy, Switzerland, Japan and South Korea - mostly using AA and BA, including some mixed AA/BA itineraries. I haven't used VeriFLY once. Just turn up at the check-in counter with my documents. Up to you.
2. AA is back at T3. For future reference LHR has a useful "which terminal" tool here: https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airp...which-terminal
3. Transfer buses are running between T5 and T3, follow purple flight connections. Be aware you will need to go through security at T3.
4. I've never used BCN so I can't be certain, but pretty sure there's no oneworld arrivals lounge.

Edit to add: The AA lounge at LHR T3 is currently not open. As an EXP with a J ticket, go to the Cathay or Qantas lounges. (which would be the case even if the AA lounge was open).

Last edited by bse118; Jul 30, 2022 at 9:38 am
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold

Tintin
Good to see youre back in the air -
1) VeriFly is not required, but you may be asked to verify docs (vaccination status) at check-in in JFK. However, Spain still does require the SpTH app to generate a QR code unless you have an EU vaccination certificate.
2) All AA flights are now arriving and departing from T3 at LHR.
3) Exactly, take the shuttle from T5 flight connections onward to T3.
4) No arrivals lounge at BCN of any kind.
5) Just enjoy it!

I did the LHR T5>T3 transfer 11 days ago and it all went smoothly. Obviously, if you could swap for the direct BCN-JFK or via MAD, where there is no need to reclear security it makes for a better transfer experience.
What I would not do under any circumstances, should you stick to the LHR routing, would be to go landside between T5 and T3, since the worst issues being reported are at the security checkpoints into T3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.