Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another AA Nightmare Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Another AA Nightmare Flight

Is it me, or do these "stuck on the tarmac for hours" seem to happen more to AA than the other majors?

And, it seems their 'apology' is usually lame when these incidents occur: "We know it can be frustrating when travel doesn't go as planned and apologize to our customers for the inconvenience." And, I pulled up the radar archive for Sunday and there was ZERO lightning over the airport during the period mentioned. It was yet another "airline lie."

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 29, 2022 at 9:23 am Reason: Removed external link that doesn't meet requirements in FlyerTalk's rules
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Story says the boarding door was open the whole time, so pax presumably could have walked off at any time. Strange.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by js1993
Story says the boarding door was open the whole time, so pax presumably could have walked off at any time. Strange.
Why didn't they just tell the passengers to get off the plane and re-board them when it was fixed? This has happened to me when I've been on planes with similar mechanical issues. It's not that big of a deal, they just checked everyone out and you had to re-check in before boarding again (which took a couple of seconds)

I can't imagine sitting at the gate with the door open for 6 hours. That's just stupid.
PDXPremier, becks1 and js1993 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Why didn't they just tell the passengers to get off the plane and re-board them when it was fixed? This has happened to me when I've been on planes with similar mechanical issues. It's not that big of a deal, they just checked everyone out and you had to re-check in before boarding again (which took a couple of seconds)
Probably someone thought the problem would be fixed in 15 minutes and then it just kept snowballing, with no one having the sense to make a decision.

I can't imagine sitting at the gate with the door open for 6 hours. That's just stupid.
I can't, either, but from Covid to assaults on subways with bystanders doing nothing to situations like this, this type of sheep-like behavior seems to be increasingly common. If one person walked off, probably everyone else would have followed. But few people want to be the first to act.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold

There was a thunderstorm and the ramp was closed.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
An extended mx delay at their biggest hub? No excuse for that unless there's an engine about to fall off, flat tire, something major, and the article isn't clear what it was. But if it was waiting for a tech to sign off, then yes, no excuse. That happened at SDF last Sunday, someone had to sign off on a thing that broke on our A319 and we sat for (only) one hour past departure time waiting for that, so only oh half the plane misconnected.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by dls25
There was a thunderstorm and the ramp was closed.
The story says the boarding door remained open the whole time.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
The weather issue was after the passengers were transferred to the second aircraft, but at any rate, the ramp being closed is different to the aircraft door being closed.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by petit_manchot
The weather issue was after the passengers were transferred to the second aircraft, but at any rate, the ramp being closed is different to the aircraft door being closed.
Right, but how would the ramp being closed prevent pax from walking out of an open boarding door?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Why didn't they just tell the passengers to get off the plane and re-board them when it was fixed?
AA: "Because covid."
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
story also says that someone tried to exit the aircraft and was told they couldn’t.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:58 pm

There are reports from people on the plane that they were told to stay in their seats and were not allowed to leave. Doesn't matter if the plane is attached if they wont let you off. AA PR staff definitely working overtime to try to minimize this disaster. It was lots of things that went wrong in a row. Pretty sure the person having a breakdown would have just gotten off it they were allowed to just walk off! It was attached so maintenance staff could walk on and off

@GennaContino
She also said passengers weren’t allowed to exit the plane. Passenger from the plane
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hbtr
story also says that someone tried to exit the aircraft and was told they couldn’t.
It sounds like they didn't try very hard....
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by hbtr
Originally Posted by lunchtime
There are reports from people on the plane that they were told to stay in their seats and were not allowed to leave. Doesn't matter if the plane is attached if they wont let you off. AA PR staff definitely working overtime to try to minimize this disaster. It was lots of things that went wrong in a row. Pretty sure the person having a breakdown would have just gotten off it they were allowed to just walk off! It was attached so maintenance staff could walk on and off

@GennaContino
She also said passengers weren’t allowed to exit the plane. Passenger from the plane
Told by whom? What would have been the penalty for disobeying? They couldn't have been kicked off a plane they just walked off of.
bchandler02 and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:58 am
Suspended

Told by whom? What would have been the penalty for disobeying? They couldn't have been kicked off a plane they just walked off of.
At least in the US, you can be banned from an airline for disobeying flight crew while aboard the aircraft. Deplaning when told not to would certainly qualify.
onanisland and Uzzar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.