Another AA Nightmare Flight

Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by rjque
You think AA would handle anything differently if people were paying $1000 fares? That extra $901 goes to shareholders, not service.

In any event, there are very few $99 fares this summer. Most of my domestic flights that were once around $300 are closer to $1400 this year. Alas, the service has not improved.
$99 fares means airlines aren't going to make investments in customer service/facing whether it's people or better technology. Even an EXP I know I'm nothing more than another face in the crowd. And my experience this week proved it. Even though I was on a late arriving connection right at the next gate the GA was closing the door at T-20. I arrived at the boarding entrance at T-20 incredulous that the GA was closing the flight not checking that an EXP (and other passengers) was arriving late (partial AA's fault) on the next gate over. What I got from her was attitude.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
T-20. Yikes.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
This is also discounting the fact that AA crew say things that may or may not be true during these kind of events all the time. I've waited for hours on the tarmac before and the crew almost always says things like "should just be a couple of minutes here at the gate while we wait for the storms to clear up" or "just a quick routine maintenance issue, nothing to worry about and we should be on our way in a matter of minutes." I'm fairly certain no one waiting there knew it would be a six hour wait.
You're 100% correct.

Perhaps I should have a crying breakdown and get in the news over the fact that I was repeatedly downvoted over making a similar correct statement:

Chronic dishonesty about delays and flight times
lunchtime likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:06 pm

I have seen the same thing.

I honestly think part of it *may* be the staffing levels at corporate are so low the crew doesn’t really know why it’s delayed and they basically guess. i know they are forced to guess at times. You got to announce something so that people don’t all riot. I have talked with flight crew who complain they can’t get a hold of crew scheduling sometimes for hours. Many have spent time sitting on airports just waiting for their hotel assignments it’s or when there’s an issue like working too many hours. AA is so under staffed right now , i bet there are lots of times they have to guess the delay to announce as it’s impossible to get a hold of anyone when things domino out of control.

There’s so many issues with staffing levels that when things go bad, the employees are sadly just as clueless as we are.

Most of the issues we are seeing this summer are staffing. It’s just as hard or harder on the actual working staff as it it for us. I know several aa pilots and FAs and they tell me it’s insane how hard they work to get a hold of crew staffing at times or anyone. They are definitely fighting staffing issues. My personal opinion it’s Corporate execs desperate to get their own bonuses refuse to offer raises to get more corporate staff. They don’t want to be stuck with high salaries and no one wants to work for their uncompetitive unadjusted old rates.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
If I was allegedly having a nervous breakdown or on the verge of heat stroke because of the delay, as the story claims, I'd walk out the door and deal with the rebooking later.

People need to stop acting like sheep.
they were not allowed to leave the plane most of it. That’s the part that made so many upset , crew told them to stay seated most of it. I personally would have said I’m getting heat stroke and need to get off , but the crew seemed to constantly think it was about to leave, the prevented this .
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:26 pm

From what crews have told me lots of cancellation simply because crews are timing out with weather issues and there aren't enough reserves to staff flights. Last Tuesday I went through 2 cancellations from DCA to MIA as the time the planes landed and got turned the crews would have timed out. The hotel that night was on me. This entire summer is a fault of management scheduling too many flights, with of course near 100% load factors and expecting for ground personnel to "wing it."

Crews and GAs looking at the possibility of crews timing out don't want to take the risk of having the plane fixed and ready to go or the ATC hold released while paxs are scattered about the terminal. So they make statements to keep paxs on the plane. I can't blame them but being given how miserable Y- is it's understandable that paxs don't want to sit in 27E for hours on end with nothing but cups of semi cool water.

Sorry this is what the ULCC business model has given air travel.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by lunchtime
they were not allowed to leave the plane most of it. That’s the part that made so many upset , crew told them to stay seated most of it. I personally would have said I’m getting heat stroke and need to get off , but the crew seemed to constantly think it was about to leave, the prevented this .
It's not a kindergarten class. Anyone who wanted to leave could have walked off the plane.

It's bizarre how adults will endure this sort of nonsense for fear of some staffer or bureaucrat but then turn around and post it on the internet for the whole world to see. (We see the same here all the time with various airline and hotel complaints that should have been addressed at the time.) Take action in the moment or be quiet later.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
It's not a kindergarten class. Anyone who wanted to leave could have walked off the plane.

It's bizarre how adults will endure this sort of nonsense for fear of some staffer or bureaucrat but then turn around and post it on the internet for the whole world to see. (We see the same here all the time with various airline and hotel complaints that should have been addressed at the time.) Take action in the moment or be quiet later.
I agree with you. You shouldnt be held prisoner on an airplane, but many people who don’t fly often are very intimidated and think they will be arrested and have an air Marshall come. Probably a crew who wanted to get home and was overly aggressive to stay seated because we are leaving soon, and passengers who just keeps believing them. I agree with you, it’s just not how infrequent flyers feel on an airplane. We are the most seasoned travelers. 90% of people would assume they were leaving soon when crew keeps telling them and might not even know the cabin door was open if you were in 27e.

Last edited by lunchtime; Jul 29, 2022 at 2:30 pm
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by lunchtime
I agree with you. You should be held prisoner on an airplane, but many people who don’t fly often are very intimidated and think they will be arrested and have an air Marshall come. Probably a crew who wanted to get home and was overly aggressive to stay seated because we are leaving soon, and passengers who just keeps believing them. I agree with you, it’s just not how infrequent flyers feel on an airplane. We are the most seasoned travelers. 90% of people would assume they were leaving soon when crew keeps telling them and might not even know the cabin door was open if you were in 27e.
I understand all of that, but with upgrade lists typically 20+ pax long, not everyone is a novice traveler.

Of course, maybe the "elites" have been beaten down the most ...
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Standby list doesn’t matter if you are talking about a flight that is already been delayed that much as IRROP rebook will bypass the standby list.

Definitely not true you will see it available for sale as an elite when it is not available for sale.

In any case as indicated in prior post, if it turns out there is no availability, the gate agent is incentivize to not offload/find another flight to rebook on as that would involve extra work and let you work back down the jet bridge.
My point is that a GA will not rebook you on a flight with a long standby list in the first place. GAs have discretion based on the current situation, even if they can in theory bypass the standby list.

"Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin" is listed as a benefit of EXP so yes, you will see seats for sale on sold out flights on AA.com if you are EXP.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:49 pm

My point is that a GA will not rebook you on a flight with a long standby list in the first place. GAs have discretion based on the current situation, even if they can in theory bypass the standby list.

"Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin" is listed as a benefit of EXP so yes, you will see seats for sale on sold out flights on AA.com if you are EXP.
IDK about that last statement in reality. Can't tell you the number of times either at the AC or the EXP line when I inquire about an alternative flight I'm told that flight is fully booked.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Agent not rebooking an IRROPS passenger onto a flight showing availability because the standby list is too long is not doing their job and going against AA IRROPS policy.

Not sure why you are even including this because the news article made no reference to EXP. The guaranteed availability benefit you are referring to requires booking "at least 24 hours in advance." Not only is this benefit not applicable for majority of passengers, this benefit wouldn't even apply for for an EXP in this very scenario laid out by the news article.

As stated 2x before and I'll state again a 3rd time, you walk up the jet bridge, have GA check/confirm availability. If no better flight is available, it is in both the GA's personal and AA's best interest to let you walk back down the jet bridge to than have to process offloading/rebooking.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EXP100
$99 fares means airlines aren't going to make investments in customer service/facing whether it's people or better technology. Even an EXP I know I'm nothing more than another face in the crowd. And my experience this week proved it. Even though I was on a late arriving connection right at the next gate the GA was closing the door at T-20. I arrived at the boarding entrance at T-20 incredulous that the GA was closing the flight not checking that an EXP (and other passengers) was arriving late (partial AA's fault) on the next gate over. What I got from her was attitude.
Well, $99 fares are pretty much a thing of the past and fares are way up. I look forward to all of this investment in infrastructure and customer service.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
If the Lobby is Empty It is Going to Happen

T-20. Yikes.
I'm surprised you are surprised. The GA's are pressured (and graded) on getting the plane closed on time. (To an extent so are the pilots). The policy even predates the merger. There is signage in DFW saying they can and will close the door early. If the lobby is empty they can and are going to load standbys and close the door. Quite possibly to probably they had filled up the plane with whomever was there. Maybe if you have a George Clooney card they hold it for you, but only if there is no chance of the crew timing out.

The plane I was on yesterday was fully loaded at T-20. Except two mobility-impared passengers in the front who did not plan their airport arrival near early enough and were "having trouble" getting through security. Whatever that means. The GA's and onboard crew were fuming and upset to be waiting for them when there was still another flight later. (Except it was also packed).

We still pushed 10 minutes early. I have no idea if they got on or not.

Last edited by jayer; Jul 30, 2022 at 10:33 am
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
I'm surprised you are surprised. The GA's are pressured (and graded) on getting the plane closed on time. (To an extent so are the pilots). The policy even predates the merger. There is signage in DFW saying they can and will close the door early. If the lobby is empty they can and are going to load standbys and close the door. Quite possibly to probably they had filled up the plane with whomever was there. Maybe if you have a George Clooney card they hold it for you, but only if there is no chance of the crew timing out.

The plane I was on yesterday was fully loaded at T-20. Except two mobility-impared passengers in the front who did not plan their airport arrival near early enough and were "having trouble" getting through security. Whatever that means. The GA's and onboard crew were fuming and upset to be waiting for them when there was still another flight later. (Except it was also packed).

We still pushed 10 minutes early. I have no idea if they got on or not.
Not surprised, just noting that the trend seems to be getting worse and worse. The onboard experience is miserable. I don't like spending any extra time onboard (or even at the gate).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.