Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does AA still offer paid-for upgrades at the gate for international?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold

Hi all. We fly ex DFW to
LHR in Biz Cl
soon. Looking to u/g to F if we can. It is a BA codeshare ticket … can we u/g at the gate if there is availability? Recall it doesn’t cost too much?

TIA!

Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Typically its offered in the app anytime before the flight from time of booking or at the Kiosk upon check in. I think you can use your BA record locator on the AA website now... Someone feel free to correct me if that isn't the case. I would take a look at the booking on the AA website and see if there is an offer.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Seat 1K
Hi all. We fly ex DFW to
LHR in Biz Cl
soon. Looking to u/g to F if we can. It is a BA codeshare ticket … can we u/g at the gate if there is availability? Recall it doesn’t cost too much?

TIA!

The AA website usually has offers like this available if you manage your booking there. I'm not sure if it's available with BA codeshares, but you would either see it on the site now or at an AA kiosk when you check in at the airport. "Doesn't cost too much" may depend on your definition of too much!
bgasser likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MorganB
Typically its offered in the app anytime before the flight from time of booking or at the Kiosk upon check in. I think you can use your BA record locator on the AA website now... Someone feel free to correct me if that isn't the case. I would take a look at the booking on the AA website and see if there is an offer.
if it shows up as an TOD buy up make sure you hurry before all the non revs take ‘em.

Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:30 pm

First. The non revs would get their seats on a premium cabin after everyone has checked in.

And given how full the premium cabins are these days, I doubt there are the day of upgrade signs even at the International airports

Originally Posted by enviroian
if it shows up as an TOD buy up make sure you hurry before all the non revs take ‘em.

Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

I think BA offers TOD (they call it POUG over at Ba forum) only if booked directly with BA. And they may offer it if you booked with OTA (or AA for this matter) 48 hours before departure. I’ve only seen it once in the last couple of years, never booked with BA directly. Usually you can always ask at the kiosk, check in desk if they can cash upgrade you. If space is available they won’t care how did you book it.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BAs one the day upgrades are called AUP. Anyone can ask if they are available and as they are for a fixed sum it doesn’t matter how you booked.

a POUG is offered in advance and can come and go.

As a regular booker of AA flights via BA I’ve never been offered any sort of upgrade opportunity via the AA app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.