Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
OK so FA's are not the best when it comes to new info...but this week I was in SEA at an airport bar chatting up 3 AS FA's, and they said that they'd be adding a crew base in SFO as they're moving more routes to SFO. I didn't ask when or mention the AA crew base, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by rkaradi
OK so FA's are not the best when it comes to new info...but this week I was in SEA at an airport bar chatting up 3 AS FA's, and they said that they'd be adding a crew base in SFO as they're moving more routes to SFO. I didn't ask when or mention the AA crew base, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Thought AS already had a crew base in SFO given it was Virgin America's largest base and hub. Unless they shut down down since the acquisition.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by A321T
Thought AS already had a crew base in SFO given it was Virgin America's largest base and hub. Unless they shut down down since the acquisition.
SFO went from 100% mainline to nearly all regional flying during the pandemic. A320s will be gone in the next few months from the AS fleet. A321s will be gone next year.

After losing the court case VX flight attendants brought against them in California- AS has been threatening to close or reduce their California bases. It remains to be seen if/when AS will grow again in the Bay Area but I wouldnt count on it any time soon. I could see the new B6/NK growing faster in the Bay Area than AS if that merger goes through.

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...s-meal-breaks/
Old Oct 25, 2022, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Just tried to booking a flight from DFW to SFO/SJC for 31Oct22. Only 2 flights to SJC, 10am and noon. Latest dep DFW to SFO is at 5pm. Sheesh. Why does AA even bother serving the Bay Area?
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
SFO went from 100% mainline to nearly all regional flying during the pandemic. A320s will be gone in the next few months from the AS fleet. A321s will be gone next year.
SFO was never 100% mainline. The idea behind fixing the VX dartboard was to add frequency on VX routes that airline couldn't by using E175s. As a result, AS now has 50%+ of the seat capacity on routes like SFO-SNA and SFO-PSP, with almost all the intra-CA flying done by OO. AS also has 5x to JFK, 2x to EWR and I doubt they'd give up the precious perimeter slot they're using DCA-SFO, especially when they're already using two other slots for DCA-SEA and fares on that route are $.

The A320s are being replaced by MAXes, and has to do with fleet simplicity and expiring leases, not this FA meal thing. The CA airport AS is backing away from isn't SFO, but LAX, where they've cut JFK, AUS, SLC, BOS, and TPA due to competition.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Yikes. AA back to only 2 daily flights. 6am and 1145pm departure ex-SFO.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Yikes. AA back to only 2 daily flights. 6am and 1145pm departure ex-SFO.
To where?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
SFO-CLT looks pretty consistent nowadays with early morning, early afternoon, and then two redeyes
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
To where?
To ORD. It's so bad. Either I have to take the red-eye now or leave my home at 4:00 to the airport. Screw both.

I'm taking AS flight at 10:55 a.m., will make my life a lot easier.

AA should offer at least one other flight in the morning. They used to have 4-5 daily flights a few years ago. Back in the day, they used to have 5 SFO-ORD and IIRC 4-5 SJC-ORD flights. Those were the good ole' days. Its getting suckier to be a loyal AA flyer out of the Bay Area.

Once I hit 2MM LT then I'll very much rethink my loyalty.
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by SFflyer20
SFO-CLT looks pretty consistent nowadays with early morning, early afternoon, and then two redeyes
I had a non-stop early morning SFO-PHL for April booked and they recently just routed it through CLT instead.

They kept the 11:45 non stop to PHL that arrives at 8 pm. Weird thing or maybe not as part of selling, the 6 am departure was filled up pretty good and now routing all of us while the less desirable11:45 departure was pretty empty in comparison.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:05 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by archstenton
I had a non-stop early morning SFO-PHL for April booked and they recently just routed it through CLT instead.

They kept the 11:45 non stop to PHL that arrives at 8 pm. Weird thing or maybe not as part of selling, the 6 am departure was filled up pretty good and now routing all of us while the less desirable11:45 departure was pretty empty in comparison.
Did you call to ask to be put onto the nonstop? I would think that simply telling them you paid for a nonstop and expect a nonstop would be enough to get them to move you for no fare change.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by archstenton

Last few times Ive taken the 11:45 its had a 20+ standby list and pretty long list for upgrade requests. Weird.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:08 am

What is AAs hub strategy overall?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
DFW and CLT. There are other hubs, yes, but they are a very distant second to those two.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Originally Posted by GeckoSnipp
DFW and CLT.
And just kind of give up everywhere else.
daviator likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.