Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
I can AA completely giving up on SFO, have Jet Blue take over the JFK and South Florida premium traffic on their metal, AS take inner west coast traffic.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Not happy about AA's move, but I understand it from a business stand point.
Being a long time EXP, I think I must evaluate which airlines to switch to, perhaps AS, as I want to stay with oneworld.
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Not happy about AA's move, but I understand it from a business stand point.
Being a long time EXP, I think I must evaluate which airlines to switch to, perhaps AS, as I want to stay with oneworld.
I agree with the general sentiment, but don't understand how this specific action has changed the calculus in any way.
WanderingGent likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:33 pm

The FA base is slated to close in Jan '23, adding to the further erosion at SFO:
https://www.kron4.com/news/american-...ht-attendants/
The Flight Attendant base at SFO will be closing on January 21, 2023. The base currently serves as a home base for flight attendants from Sacramento, San Jose and the San Francisco area. This closure will displace around 403 locally-based flight attendants, forcing them to choose a new home base or retire. The SFO APFA Base President Tim Schwartz says that the flight attendants will be able to bid for nearby bases except LAX, which the company says is already overstaffed.
"As we look at the future of our network, we expect that San Francisco will maintain the same level of flying it does today, but there are no plans to grow San Francisco and no future flying prospects based on our current network strategy." -American Airlines
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
another frustration of the emaciated transcon schedule i've experienced in the last few weeks having done three SFO-JFK roundtrips...near impossible to get confirmed first standby/same-day flight change as all six flights were completely full in F and J and Y for the most part.
olouie likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by VSLover
another frustration of the emaciated transcon schedule i've experienced in the last few weeks having done three SFO-JFK roundtrips...near impossible to get confirmed first standby/same-day flight change as all six flights were completely full in F and J and Y for the most part.
Yeah, I miss when they ran a half-dozen a day. There are so few flights now that the prices aren't even competitive for Y.
VSLover and ryanbriar like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by VSLover
This happened to me a few weeks ago. Flight was cancelled due to IROPS (the mid-morning) and the only direct alternative was the 6 am, and there was only one seat left in F with J/Y zero’d out. The other day flight was already booked solid. The computer auto-rebooked me through Chicago, but I was able to call and get it sorted out (app wasn’t showing F as an option for some reason).
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
This happened to me a few weeks ago. Flight was cancelled due to IROPS (the mid-morning) and the only direct alternative was the 6 am, and there was only one seat left in F with J/Y zero’d out. The other day flight was already booked solid. The computer auto-rebooked me through Chicago, but I was able to call and get it sorted out (app wasn’t showing F as an option for some reason).
The FL agents have readily offered B6 transcon alternatives (J->Mint) in IROPS as another option. Was that available? Obviously no F though and not sure if phone agents can do it too.

I just took B6 and AS most recently for SFO to JFK/LAX because the AA schedule was too weak. At least both are partners. But if I cant take AA from SFO for trips touching LAX or JFK, where *can* I use AA (DFW? lol)
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
The FL agents have readily offered B6 transcon alternatives (J->Mint) in IROPS as another option. Was that available? Obviously no F though and not sure if phone agents can do it too.

I just took B6 and AS most recently for SFO to JFK/LAX because the AA schedule was too weak. At least both are partners. But if I cant take AA from SFO for trips touching LAX or JFK, where *can* I use AA (DFW? lol)
This was a night-before cancellation so unfortunately it was a last minute call to the EP line to grab what I could. The agent was having computer issues so I was just happy to have a direct locked in.

Agree though that B6 is being offered as an alternative. Was given the Mint option a couple of months ago by the gate agent when BOS-LAX was delayed. This was just before the connector opened so I passed as I didn’t want to walk to C and re-clear TSA at T-45.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey
As an SFO flyer, AA suits most of my needs.
  • Most places I can still go nonstop on AA/OW.
    • Domestically, I'm either flying to an AA hub (DFW, JFK) or Alaska has nonstops (eg, AUS, SEA). For most AS flights, I buy the AA codeshare, so earning the same LPs. I've flown JetBlue to LAX, but I don't really fly them often. I've noticed AA's lower frequencies on some routes, but it hasn't impacted me too much.
    • Internationally, my travel is a bit all over the place (eg, LHR, MAD, BER, EZE, HND, SYD, BKK, BLR), and I usually don't mind the routings. Post-pandemic, my travel has largely been to Europe, which means flying British Airways through/to Heathrow, which is meh. I wish there was better OW partners in Europe (AY and IB are only seasonal and rarely have good connections). Thankfully Qatar now flies to SFO, JAL has flights to NRT and HND, and Qantas is relaunching their SFO-SYD flights in October. Not sure what will happen to CX, but hopefully there's a comeback. A big pain point is getting to MEX, but I usually just end up flying Aeromexico. South America is a pain for every alliance, but connecting through DFW is about as good as IAH on United.
  • Upgrades clear very frequently. My upgrades clear ~95% on American and ~100% on Alaska (when traveling without a companion). Also, AA does upgrades on award flights for EP.
  • Admirals Club is never crowded.

My biggest gripe is with the move to the new Harvey Milk Terminal, you have to traverse the full length of the long terminal for every flight. I much preferred having AA and AS both in terminal 2.
after the remodel was complete I’m pretty sure the distance to baggage claim 3x’d
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryanbriar

earlier in the summer the 5pm was cancelled and there was nothing left in the 8pm in F or J and was auto-booked in coach. had to sweat it out waiting until boarding time to get my F seat. didnt seek jetblue alternatives as i needed my BA tier points which perhaps i could have fought for due to cancellation but was quite the annoying situation compounded by the fact the lounge aangels couldnt do anything...they were on the phone trying to sort it out for me as well. not the normal experience overall but perhaps was a sign of things to come.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by askyamaz
after the remodel was complete I’m pretty sure the distance to baggage claim 3x’d
Probably closer to 2x after they first opened the new T1.

But less than a year later they closed the exit near the now (temporarily) closed T1 AirTrain station so yeah, around 3x now.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
I am perfectly fine with AA giving up on SFO based flyers, as long as strong partnerships with JetBlue and Alaska remain, with the addition of Spirit into the JetBlue Network, we'll have almost have the perfect OW domestic network for any major area dare I say. I am selfishly speaking from a personal view as I mostly buy domestic F now, if that was not the case, the loss of upgrades would obviously be a huge disadvantage. Asp the the very long walk away in terminal A really really sucks though.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
I am perfectly fine with AA giving up on SFO based flyers, as long as strong partnerships with JetBlue and Alaska remain, with the addition of Spirit into the JetBlue Network, we'll have almost have the perfect OW domestic network for any major area dare I say. I am selfishly speaking from a personal view as I mostly buy domestic F now, if that was not the case, the loss of upgrades would obviously be a huge disadvantage. Asp the the very long walk away in terminal A really really sucks though.
The addition of Spirit is going to result in less JetBlue options, not more. There's no way that AA, AS and B6+NK are going to be allowed to partner up.
​​​​​
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Also find it inconvenient there are no AA options mid-week on DFW-SFO in the mid-evening. There's one at 4:40pm and one at 9:10pm but nothing in between. Realize it's mid-week but the timing is very lacking for those that have meetings into late afternoons. Trekking to Love Field for a 7:15pm Alaska and got upgraded immediately after booking, so I guess that's fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.