Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dls25
SFO traffic is still down 25% vs. 2019 and is probably the capital of workers fleeing to work remotely so we should not be surprised by light schedules.
Are you speaking of generally? Or just AA? Most of the SFO decline is international, and particularly Asia travel.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Just hop down to LAX and go from there.
Not exactly convenient on AA either given the reduction on this route also.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by econ
Plus, adding three hours to a travel day that could be a 3.5 hour nonstop doesn't work for many.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:56 pm

Some nostalgia on SFO-ORD.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The 6/7 am flight times are getting really annoying.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Just hop down to LAX and go from there.
lol on one of AS's 10 daily nontops SFO-LAX, UA's 9 dailies, DL's 7 dailies, or AA's 3?
BlooJoo likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder what UA's schedule is like into DFW, MIA, PHL. Probably only a few too.
UA has 5 ORD-DFW flights on the October tuesday I looked at.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Plus, adding three hours to a travel day that could be a 3.5 hour nonstop doesn't work for many.
Exactly. I’ve done the SF to LA to east coast and it makes for a long trek. I didn’t mind it much, but will be going direct BOS-SFO on DL/B6 as the connections made no sense or were high priced via JFK on AA.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I’d broaden this to everything from the west coast to beyond Arizona that is non hub. LAX to IAH and ATL are 1x/day, LAX-DEN 2x/day right now.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:31 pm

AA loves to just give up when other airlines compete. See LAX. Pretty soon they will just give up on Sfo completely once the transcon contracts are over.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by econ
Dont overlook the pleasures of eagles nest to T4 transfer😀
SST, renila, ESpen36 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder what UA's schedule is like into DFW, MIA, PHL. Probably only a few too.
UA sucks from DFW
Rpg101 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
AA has been second fiddle to UA at ORD for awhile, but decent O&D yields and a desire to steal some of the ORD corporate accounts from UA is the reason that AA has, over the years, tried to build up the frequency of their services, esp in business heavy markets like SFO, LAX, LGA, BOS, and DCA. They’ll establish initiatives to add services to gain market share, and then reverse course after it doesn’t happen. If you’re an ORD travel manager, you’re going to have a hard time convincing your travelers to accept a ORD-SFO flight at 145p, with no nonstops afterwards. Or to choose between a 6am or red eye for the return. Even 3x per day for such a route doesn’t cut it, either for ORD or SFO based flyers.
SST likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:35 am

I find I'm using AS mostly on West Coast flights and DL or UA to places where AA's SFO schedules just don't work anymore for me.

Even for Europe, the BA/LHR connections are no longer something I want to do anymore. I still take AA to cities where they fly and involve only one US connection. The service is not always polished and the food not the best sometimes, but otherwise I like AA business cabins for transatlantic (or pacific).
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
Can speak to the years I frequented between Chicago and South Florida, UA indeed only runs two turns a day between ORD and MIA -- but there's also if memory serves three turns a day between ORD and FLL and where I was near downtown Miami, that was convenient enough. I would guess maybe similar for PHL given proximity to EWR and even BWI, not sure what the true O-and-D market is between Chicago and North Texas to speak to how much capacity UA would put on ORD<>DFW against AA (or even against WN between MDW<>DAL)
Currently AA has ZERO(0) ORD-FLL flights in the schedule. I suppose they want me to use Spirit or UA - UGH!
EJRofChicago likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.