Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / VIP Expiring 2022 giveaway thread (NO ASK; terms & conditions)

Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

As we approach the end of the status year (31 Jan 2022, but now including interim extended use dates after 31 Jan 2020), AAdvantage members on FT with no opportunity or plans to use expiring SWU (31 Jan 2022) often gift them to other FlyerTalk members. This traditionally has begun in September, but with new interim expiry dates the thread is current now.

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily deleted (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."
  • Asking for SWU here is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.
  • To comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airlines instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.
  • Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.
  • Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).
  • Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty or French taxe de solidarit sur les billets d'avion).
  • This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage terms and conditions.)
  • If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. FT members have been sanctioned by AA in the past for these kinds of actions. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

For recent obsolete posts, 31 Jan 2021 thread has been archived here. (link).

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum Moderator team

Quote:
Using expiring SWU beyond their expiration date.

It has been reported as possible here that some may be able to use an SWU beyond its programmed expiration date:

Those few very high value flyers with high Eagle (Helix score) ratings may receive extensions for unused SWU, but that is not an option for most AAdvantage members. Requests to do so will be met with a firm no from AA.

The system will, however, pull the SWU with the earliest expiration date. At least it has recently, and no reports on this being fixed have been reported. There are certain conditions that must be met for this to occur:

The AAdvantage member must have requalified as Concierge Key or Executive Platinum for the 2020 status year, and have SWU expiring 31 Jan 2021 in their account.

The SWU pull by the system must be prior to the SWU expiration date, even if the flight is past it - e.g. sometimes a SWU will pull long before the formal upgrade window, or if you can confirm a flight occurring 1 Feb or later with an SWU upgrade prior to 31 January the system is programmed to pull your SWU with the earliest expiration date.

You cant call and request this, it occurs naturally because (at least recently) the system is programmed that way. An agent will merely tell you this cant be done (potentially, unless youve got Eagles galore.

You cant upgrade using miles and copay, then switch to a SWU.

CAVEAT: Its always possible the system has been altered to end this possibility, but it was extant early 2020.
NOTE: The 31 Jan 2021 thread has been archived here.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

Thanks to @JDiver for putting together the original template for this

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

Please familiarize yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to these rules will be summarily deleted (without notice to the poster).

AA: "Upgrades are void if sold or advertised for sale for cash or other considerations. Members may designate another passenger to use their upgrades."
  • Asking for SWU here is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.
  • To comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWU must given freely, with no strings attached. Requests for money, trading for SWU with different expiry or another airlines instruments, or any other consideration, whether in the clear or via PM, are not allowed.
  • Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.
  • Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itineraries, international vs. domestic, etc.).
  • Recipients are solely and entirely responsible for the payment of any fees or taxes associated with the use of a gifted SWU (e.g. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty or French taxe de solidarit sur les billets d'avion).
  • This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients. (Donating instruments for use in charity auctions or as prizes is prohibited by AAdvantage T&C.)
  • If anybody offers to sell, buy, barter or trade SWU by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

For recent obsolete posts, please see ARCHIVE: Expiring SWU / VIP giveaway (strictly freely given): Jan 2022 Edition (link).

Thanks everyone!

~AAdvantage forum Moderator team
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I have 3 expiring at the end of this month - not much time, but let me know if you can use them. Send me a PM with your full details and reservation information. I am in the UK, so time zones may make it tricky to do anything quickly and I am in the middle of moving house!

If there are multiple requests I will find a way to prioritise them. If you have offered your expiring SWUs to others here in the past send me a link to that posting as I would prefer to arrange things so that good deeds might get rewarded.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:18 am

I have had a number of responses - fewer than half have actually followed instructions (provided reservation details) so I can't use my SWUs on those without extended exchanges. Most of the remainder are, in fact, C0 and so I can't use them there either. So I still have some left - but please follow instructions and provide concrete and complete details about your reservation.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I have 2 expiring July 31st. PM me with flight details. Those with +C space availability gets priority (lesser chance of it getting wasted)
mosfet, FLL88 and js1993 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:34 pm

Mine are all gone - to folks flying HND-LAX or LAX-HND - so good value has been had from SWUs that would otherwise have expired.

Apologies to those who asked but had shorter, or unconfirmable flights.
vasantn, wrp96, voweffekt and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Mine are all gone - to folks flying HND-LAX or LAX-HND - so good value has been had from SWUs that would otherwise have expired.

Apologies to those who asked but had shorter, or unconfirmable flights.
That's great. Thanks for doing that.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by ws8n
I have 2 expiring July 31st. PM me with flight details. Those with +C space availability gets priority (lesser chance of it getting wasted)
Does it need to be flown before then or would flights in December work?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
I know it's late but I have 3 expiring either July 31 or August 1.
aztimm, mosfet and js1993 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Does it need to be flown before then or would flights in December work?
Flights in the next 12 months will work as long as the upgrades can be confirmed before July 31.

HND-LAX seems to have plenty of confirmable space and that is why mine went there. There seems to be very little confirmable space on flights to Europe, for example.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Check JFK to BCN

Roundtrip under $500 (in BE - works for exec plat, unsure about people with no status) with confirmable space especially in April.

JFK to Madrid also has a decent amount of confirmable space.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:57 am

How do SWU work? Do they have to be used on flights before the expiry in this case 31 July, or can it be applied before then for a flight later on?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Jzlerner
How do SWU work? Do they have to be used on flights before the expiry in this case 31 July, or can it be applied before then for a flight later on?
They can be used for flights after July 31.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by olouie
They can be used for flights after July 31.
Ok. Not 100% sure how they work but I have a flight booked as part of a BA multi city booking, LHR-MIA operated by AA and I would love an upgrade. That kind of flight would work?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Ok. Not 100% sure how they work but I have a flight booked as part of a BA multi city booking, LHR-MIA operated by AA and I would love an upgrade. That kind of flight would work?
Not sure if AA will take control of a 125 ticket for purposes of SWU, but they may!

The bigger issue is that you'll need to ensure that there is C space available now. The SWU can be applied and confirmed by 31 July for flights departing after if there is confirmed space. I don't think you can waitlist SWUs expiring 31 July for itineraries after that date.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:52 am

3 SWUs expiring July 31st

Originally Posted by arabiamark
I know it's late but I have 3 expiring either July 31 or August 1.
I also have 3 SWUs expiring on July 31st.

If anyone can find confirmed C availiabilites, please PM me with flight details.. better than having the 3 SWUs going wasted... priority will be given to international itin.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.