Wiki Posts
Search

SWU Showing available on AA.COM, But

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:29 am
Original Poster

SWU Showing available on AA.COM, But

Trying to use my SWU's WAS- MUC for late August

When I call Platinum desk, they advise wait list only. Agent would not believe I was seeing upgrade available on AA.com
AA agent advised to take up with Customer Relations, I have sent them an e mail but 7-10 days for response and my SWU's expire July 31.
Was hoping to add screen shot from AA.Com showing upgrade available but I do not have enough posts.

Do you think it is just a glitch in the system or should I HUCA?

Any advice, wisdom greatly appreciated
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MtnTraveler
Trying to use my SWU's WAS- MUC. for late August

When I call Platinum desk, they advise wait list only. Agent would not believe I was seeing upgrade available on AA.com
AA agent advised to take up with Customer Relations, I have sent them an e mail but 7-10 days for response and my SWU's expire July 31.
Was hoping to add screen shot from AA.Com showing upgrade available but I do not have enough posts.

I've seen this before, though it's also possible that the agent is wrong. EF is a necessary tool.

Did you click through to see which flights have availability? It may be only the domestic leg; agents sometimes assume without asking that you only want to use the SWU if it's available on the long haul. If this is the case you can apply to both legs if you want; the domestic leg will clear, SWU will be pulled and it won't expire; you will be waitlisted for the long leg right up to the gate. If it clears, great. If not you have just spent a SWU on your domestic connection.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jul 19, 2022 at 8:39 am
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
The AA.com "systemwide upgrades" screen is often a bit misleading. When you click on the systemwide upgrade link, what does it actually show? For example, is DCA-CLT available but CLT-MUC is not? Try to cut and paste the text if you can't attach a screen shot or let us know the specific flights and days so we can take a look.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Trying to use my SWU's WAS- MUC for late August

Look closer chances are it’s mixed cabin. The long haul segment is economy the short segments first or business.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Look closer chances are it’s mixed cabin. The long haul segment is economy the short segments first or business.
If this is the case, it still might be in the OP's interest to confirm the upgrade on the domestic segment, and keep the international segment waitlisted. Especially if the upgrades expire on 7/31. This will allow the upgrades to avoid expiring on 7/31. Issue is, of course, that if the international upgrade doesn't clear, the OP loses the systemwide. But, if they're going to lose it anyway, then maybe it's their best bet.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Yep. Very common and misleading at best. It's almost insulting to see the 1 hour hop in F available and of course not the long one.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

In addition to the comments above, if you can provide the date of the flights I can cross check ExpertFlyer to see if upgrade space really is or isn't there.

Also emailing customer relations will be a complete waste of time for something like this, they will not be able to tell you anything helpful if they even respond at all.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yep. Very common and misleading at best. It's almost insulting to see the 1 hour hop in F available and of course not the long one.
Fully agree, but the (small) silver lining is that this allows the OP to have the SWUs pulled before they expire. Without the ability to confirm at least one sector, the SWUs would expire on 7/31 even if the OP is waitlisted for an upgrade.

I just did this yesterday. I had 6 SWUs set to expire on 7/31, so I decided to take my wife and son to London over Thanksgiving. Ideal routing for us would be ORD-LHR-ORD. I was able to confirm upgrades for the three of us on the ORD-LHR segment for the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, but no such luck on the LHR-ORD segment (or any other AA flight ex-Europe on the Sunday after Thanksgiving). Our house is nearly equidistant from ORD and Grand Rapids, MI (GRR). There was upgrade space on a ORD-GRR flight, so I booked us on the early ORD-LHR flight, connecting to a ORD-GRR flight. With the upgrade confirmed on the ORD-GRR flight, the SWUs are considered used and won't expire on 7/31, even if the LHR-ORD segment hasn't confirmed by then. I am willing to do this because: 1) the SWUs would have expired unused anyway, so even if LHR-ORD never clears, I am still better off having upgraded ORD-GRR than letting them expire; and 2) I am very confident that the upgrades will clear on LHR-ORD. We'll Uber to ORD and home from GRR.

Obviously a YMMV decision based one's own circumstances, but it works for me.

Last edited by PresRDC; Jul 19, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
In addition to the comments above, if you can provide the date of the flights I can cross check ExpertFlyer to see if upgrade space really is or isn't there.
Answering my own post here but looking at EF I don't see any C space on CLT-MUC for all of August save for 3 days mid month, Aug. 9, 13, &14.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Answering my own post here but looking at EF I don't see any C space on CLT-MUC for all of August 2022
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
The availability on AA.com isn't working right - I booked a trip to London next April a few weeks back that earlier in the day was showing upgrade C on the flights I wanted on EF, later it was gone, but AA showed availability main to business on the website so I pulled the trigger. Called in to apply SWUs and nothing there per the agent. I kept the flight waitlisted as I am sure it will clear (we're the only seats on the plane reserved) and they won't expire until next year July, but the functionality on AA's website is definitely FUBAR.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:20 am

I was able to use 2 SWU for JFK-HND via LAX. SWU cleared for both legs (assuming travel to japan is possible at that time). I did look in may for a return to japan. The AA app would show the SWU option, however when you click it both legs are X’d out/unavailable. Typically the app doesn’t show the system wide upgrade button if neither leg is available. Thought it was some sort of glitch. Is that what happened to you?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by Amon_Ra_
(assuming travel to japan is possible at that time).
That is quite a big assumption, no? I've been hoping for this literally three years running and obviously still not the case...
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:42 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
That is quite a big assumption, no? I've been hoping for this literally three years running and obviously still not the case...
Also hoping….

Cleared 4 SWUs a couple weeks ago on LAX-HND-LAX for March 2023 travel….
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I've seen this before, though it's also possible that the agent is wrong. EF is a necessary tool..
EF is a great tool but Ive found that even that hasn’t been accurate in the last few weeks, giving false numbers on whats available for upgrades even going as far as sending alerts for upgrade space thats not there.
asnovici likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.