Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Police Fishing at DFW?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Police Fishing at DFW?

I came into DFW on an evening American Airlines flight from LAX yesterday. Three very large DFW Airport police officers were standing directly in front of the boarding gate door as passengers disembarked. One of them was sporting tactical gear. I thought perhaps they were just picking up a passenger from our flight who had a warrant and shrugged it off. But then, the three came down to the baggage claim and milled about, striking up casual discussions with passengers (seemingly) at random. One officer asked to see the baggage claim check of a passenger who was then allowed to leave. Ultimately everyone appeared to claim their luggage and at the end I observed only the three officers standing at the luggage claim by themselves while awaiting my rideshare outside. No arrests had been made.

All of this led me to believe that the officers were merely on a fishing expedition. Are Texas police now targeting flights from California (where cannabis is legal)? Or was there some other reason for all of this?
FLL88 likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 18, 2022 at 2:21 am Reason: Removed OMNI/PR content
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I think you're over thinking this WAY too much.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by AADFW
I came into DFW on an evening American Airlines flight from LAX yesterday. Three very large DFW Airport police officers were standing directly in front of the boarding gate door as passengers disembarked. One of them was sporting tactical gear. I thought perhaps they were just picking up a passenger from our flight who had a warrant and shrugged it off. But then, the three came down to the baggage claim and milled about, striking up casual discussions with passengers (seemingly) at random. One officer asked to see the baggage claim check of a passenger who was then allowed to leave. Ultimately everyone appeared to claim their luggage and at the end I observed only the three officers standing at the luggage claim by themselves while awaiting my rideshare outside. No arrests had been made.
Very similar sight landing at T7 at JFK the other day. Three uniformed NYPD officers including one in heavy tac gear on the jet bridge. Another 4-5 CBP officers in the T7 immigration zone - one officer had a piece of paper in her hand that clearly had someone's photo on it.
355F1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Very similar sight landing at T7 at JFK the other day. Three uniformed NYPD officers including one in heavy tac gear on the jet bridge. Another 4-5 CBP officers in the T7 immigration zone - one officer had a piece of paper in her hand that clearly had someone's photo on it.
I kind of almost expect this sort of thing coming off an international flight, but not so much a domestic. Maybe the DFW police had a specific tip about someone or something on my flight, but I kind of doubt it given how things played out at the end.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Could be an attempt to stop or discourage baggage theft, perhaps that has been an issue at DFW recently and they were tasked with just confirming the bag is yours?
Also, TSA (in conjunction with local law enforcement) employs a variety of methods, measures, and means to "increase security and safety" (their line, not mine). Some of these programs are visible to the traveling public, and others not so much or at all. Could be that they were assisting in some sort of operation in that regard.

I wouldn't read too much into it, especially since there demeanor was pretty casual as you described and not aggressively cracking open checked bags looking for contraband of some variety.

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 18, 2022 at 2:25 am Reason: Removed response to deleted content and meta commentary
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:56 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by AADFW
Ultimately everyone appeared to claim their luggage and at the end I observed only the three officers standing at the luggage claim by themselves while awaiting my rideshare outside.
Me thinks they were watching you
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:02 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this topic is not germane to AA nor the AAdvantage program, we will close this thread. Thanks. /Moderator
KBMIFlyer, LETTERBOY and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.