Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help! Three years trying to book a ticket with AA

Help! Three years trying to book a ticket with AA

Old Jul 19, 22, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lorkers View Post
Just to clarify, I very definitely don't want the money back.
I want the return half of my trip.
As per my original post, AA won't tell me if I'm given that option, or if I've been given some 'dollar value', but they won't tell me that either!
You can see my emails further up the chain, and I keep on asking a simple 'yes, or no, or what value' question, but AA keep on ducking the question.
They won't book the "return" flights for you as if this was a schedule change without any cash or equivalents changing hands. You need to book the flights you want and then call to apply the value of the voucher plus pay any difference, or try PHL's suggestion of pushing for a refund for the cancelled flights.
Old Jul 31, 22, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deeruck View Post
They won't book the "return" flights for you as if this was a schedule change without any cash or equivalents changing hands. You need to book the flights you want and then call to apply the value of the voucher plus pay any difference, or try PHL's suggestion of pushing for a refund for the cancelled flights.
Ah, but the problem is AA just will not tell me what the value is of the voucher I hold!

That's the information I've been trying to extract out of AA for months. I quite simply cannot fathom whey they won't tell me, and duck even this most simple of questions.

However, even though I don't want it, just to try and get this information out of AA, I did put in a formal request of what the refund value would be, and after some weeks thinking about it, AA have finally replied.

$11.

Yep, $11, even though the cost of the ticket was over $4000, and I was only able to fly half (the outbound) before AA cancelled the return.

Wow. Couldn't make it up.
Old Aug 1, 22, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
That's almost like they're just refunding the taxes and not refunding any of the fare.
Old Aug 1, 22, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
That's almost like they're just refunding the taxes and not refunding any of the fare.
Or the opposite. AA's fare breakdowns have been insane lately. A $900 LAX-HND a few days ago told me the trip was $99 and the rest carrier-imposed fees. A $600 JFK-LHR told me the trip was ... $11, with the rest carrier-imposed fees.
Old Aug 1, 22, 1:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
You should probably put in a US DoT complaint if you havenít done so already just to prod AA to produce a more detailed response in how they arrived at $11.

Was the return flights cancelled by you or the airline? If by airline, $11 seems unusual as a round trip fare would not be refare as a one way due to involuntary cancellation.
Old Aug 1, 22, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
Or the opposite. AA's fare breakdowns have been insane lately. A $900 LAX-HND a few days ago told me the trip was $99 and the rest carrier-imposed fees. A $600 JFK-LHR told me the trip was ... $11, with the rest carrier-imposed fees.
Carrier-imposed fees have nothing to do with taxes. The breakdown between base fare and carrier imposed fees is essentially irrelevant unless you are trying to do something "tricky" (or trying to look up a fare on EF)
Old Aug 1, 22, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Carrier-imposed fees have nothing to do with taxes. The breakdown between base fare and carrier imposed fees is essentially irrelevant unless you are trying to do something "tricky" (or trying to look up a fare on EF)
There was no tax line at all. Just “trip’ and “carrier-imposed fees.”

The entire itemizations clearly were nonsense.
Old Aug 4, 22, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

That's exactly what it is - I've at last finally extracted that information out of the notoriously opaque call centre. Although it took two calls, and rather a lot of badgering asking the question several times in different ways before, after a long time on hold, they told me that as it was cancelled, all they will refund is the taxes. Remember though, it was AA who cancelled my flight, not me, so it might be seen as 'a little bit unfair'.
However, that question is rather moot. I don't want a refund.
What I want to do it actually fly the flights AA cancelled. Although I'll have to personally stump up the cost of the flights from Australia to USA East Coast just to do that, if AA will ever tell me what the voucher actually is!
Old Aug 5, 22, 8:28 am
Original Member

That's exactly what it is - I've at last finally extracted that information out of the notoriously opaque call centre. Although it took two calls, and rather a lot of badgering asking the question several times in different ways before, after a long time on hold, they told me that as it was cancelled, all they will refund is the taxes. Remember though, it was AA who cancelled my flight, not me, so it might be seen as 'a little bit unfair'.
However, that question is rather moot. I don't want a refund.
What I want to do it actually fly the flights AA cancelled. Although I'll have to personally stump up the cost of the flights from Australia to USA East Coast just to do that, if AA will ever tell me what the voucher actually is!
Do you have written documentation that ticket is valid until Dec 31 2022 (as mentioned in post #1)? AA extended validity for tickets originally issued in 2020 to Dec 31 2022 but must be rebooked by Sep 30 2022. Your first post suggest ticket was purchased in 2019.
Old Aug 6, 22, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Do you have written documentation that ticket is valid until Dec 31 2022 (as mentioned in post #1)? AA extended validity for tickets originally issued in 2020 to Dec 31 2022 but must be rebooked by Sep 30 2022. Your first post suggest ticket was purchased in 2019.
That's right, it was purchased in 2019.

I have an email from 2021, saying:

> Based on the information you've provided, I've made an exception and put an authorization in your record to extend your ticket for travel to be completed by December 31, 2022.

Which is the only information I have regarding my ticket / voucher.

You alarm me though by saying there is a deadline of September - no-one has mentioned this to me, so I assume it doesn't apply. But then again AA won't tell me anything about my ticket.
Old Aug 6, 22, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Another update - sending through a very formal email with a warning this would be followed with a US DoT complaint got this response, which is the most I've ever got out of the oxymoronic so called 'Customer Service'.

> Thank you for writing back.> I will need to speak with you by phone to address your concerns and answer your questions.

> Please reply directly to this email with your best contact number.
Oddly, my phone number has been on all the emails I've sent through so far, but I'll ignore that.
Shame I can't actually make a US Dot complaint, but of course that option isn't open to me not residing in or being in the US.
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:54 am

[email protected]

title it ** Confidential Restricted **
Old Aug 7, 22, 7:38 am
Original Member

Shame I can't actually make a US Dot complaint, but of course that option isn't open to me not residing in or being in the US.
You can file a US DOT complaint if the itinerary involve a US airport and/or involving a US airline.
duchy and js1993 like this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Well, I finally got to talk to someone at AA who isn't in the call centre, and who knows what they are doing. Or so I thought.
I also now know the questions to ask.
Thank goodness seawolf you alerted me to
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
AA extended validity for tickets ... but must be rebooked by Sep 30 2022.
Which was my first question, and the answer I got was

"Oh yes, the clock is ticking - there is an element of urgency now. You have only a month or so to book."
I replied "Why has noone mentioned this before?"
Answer "Oh, I'm sorry if this wasn't communicated to you."
Sigh, I can only assume AA wanted the deadline to slip and I lost the ticket.

Second question
"How much is the voucher/ticket worth?"
Answer "Oh, it's rather like making a pizza. We can't give you a value until we know where you want to travel to and when.
I replied "????"
So, the best analogy AA can come up with for their ticketing system is that it is like making a Hawaiian? Wow.

Next solution - I suggest we make a dummy booking, ORD to LHR in Business, and I'll find some way to get from SYD to ORD next week.
"Errr, right... ORD to then LHR in Biz please?..." [pause of about 40 minutes, furious typing, on hold for 30 while ticketing in Paris of all places is consulted]
Call centre: "Right, can I have your card details for an extra cost of $4000 sir?"
I reply "I can see those flights are currently retailing at $5000. So extrapolating from what you are saying, the voucher is worth $1000?"
"I can't put a value on it sir, that's just what you have to pay."
"Oh, thank you, well cancel that booking, it was just to see the value."
"Errr, I've spent nearly an hour booking it for you?!"
"Well if you would just tell me the sum, it would be much easier."
"That is highly confidental sir. I can't tell you how much we owe you."
"???!!!"
"But of course if you book on the original route that was cancelled, your additional payment will be less."
"WHY did you not tell me this?!?! So it is kind of a voucher, for the original route? And it almost IS identical?"
"AA cannot tell you that."

Deeper. Deeper. Sigh. I guess my powers of telepathy are no match for AA call agents.
Old Aug 8, 22, 10:27 pm
Suspended

That’s insane.

Search this Thread