Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Due any compensation from reallocation downgrade because of missed connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Due any compensation from reallocation downgrade because of missed connection?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by salut0
Thanks. I’ve put in the claims and will report back when I find out what the refund is.
The refund they’ve calculated is $77 per passenger, which is clearly ridiculous as a measure of the difference between economy and business class! (Yes, I know they’ll probably justify it by comparing completely restrictive I-class to fully flex Y walk-up fare…)

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
No, in all of this mass of text, you and the OP have missed it.

The key thing is that there were available J seats on the flight OP took Y on.

OP should therefore have been rebooked onto those J seats.

OP, your complaint should revolve around the fact that:

1) you held a J ticket;
2) there were available J seats on LY at the time of rebooking at LHR
3) for some reason OP was not booked on those
4) OP only flew on that LY flight in Y on protest despite there being availability in J
5) OP is due difference between J and discount Y fare for LHR and TLV.

Everything else is superfluous.
So how do I argue that? Write to AA and suggest a calculation as something like:
{discount J fare as half of an advance purchase LHR-TLV-LHR ticket}
minus
{discount Y fare as half of advance purchase LHR-TLV-LHR ticket}
equals
{compensation I should be getting}?

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
As to why BA got clearance but AA didn't, who knows at this point. If AA didn't get ATC clearance, then AA didn't get ATC clearance. Nothing AA or you can do about that. I recommend dropping the 'BA left on time, AA didn't' argument when weather/ATC was at play as that won't get you anywhere.
But isn’t it weird that they cite both ATC and “security” as reasons AA100 left so much later than BA112? I don’t remember them mentioning anything about security in any announcement from the flight deck.

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
You can make your case, and certainly should try, but they probably marked it in your PNR that it was a voluntary downgrade to Y. They’ll say you could have waited for the other routing in J.

Message them and ask. I’ve gotten some miles as comp in similar scenarios. They way they calculate J to Y refunds is pretty weak anyway.
Weak indeed as I mentioned above. How many miles did you ask for? I’d argue that it should be at least the difference in value between redeeming LHR-TLV in J vs redeeming in Y per person.

edited to add: according to this, that’d be 22.5k/person so 67.5k total miles

Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by salut0
I traveled on an 001-stock ticket on AA100 JFK-LHR back in April intending to connect to BA165 LHR-TLV.

AA100 sat on the ground for a long time while it rained and surprisingly BA112 which was scheduled to leave half an hour later took off earlier from JFK and also landed earlier. I would have actually made the connection had I taken the BA flight with the shorter connecting time!
:
A lot of issues go into transatlantic routings. My guess is that AA100 and BA112 were on different tracks and there was an ATC issue with AA's track that did not affect BA112's track.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.