Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Beware: One person per PNR for elite upgrades on AS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Alaska Purchased on AA.com as Emerald "Not Eligible for Online Upgrade"

So over a month ago, I purchased on AA.com an AUS-SFO round trip which leaves tomorrow. It's an N-fare and was quite expensive honestly. I just checked in and it doesn't show us (me and companion) on the list (or anyone for that matter). When I click MVP Upgrade, it says:

MVP® Gold Guest upgrade

This reservation is not eligible for online MVP® Gold Guest upgrade. About upgrades

The link to About upgrades seems to indicate it's eligible as is my companion on an N-fare. We did get Premium seats. What am I doing wrong here?

Last edited by BrianV; Aug 3, 2022 at 4:11 pm
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I called Alaska, the lady didn't seem to know how things worked and contradicted herself on multiple occasions. Reading some on the web site and some of what she said is that companions aren't eligible for auto-upgrades, I guess Alaska gives MVP 75k Members "Guest Codes". She said OneWorld people with companions are only eligible for gate waitlisting for upgrades, which honestly is pretty lame as it's hard to have multiple upgrades on the battlefield on day of travel.

She couldn't answer why I'm not on the waitlist on the web-site post-check-in and just said, "It's probably because there's only one seat left." which also makes no sense; we should still be on the list. She has me on hold while she "researches".

Lessons learned...
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
And even getting waitlisted for a battlefield upgrade is hit-or-miss. Some gate agents won't do it for you if you have a companion.

ETA: one tip is to try to get the agent at the check in counter to do it, and if they won't then ask the gate agent. That way you get two bites at the apple.

I've had an agent refuse because "AS elites don't get to upgrade a companion on AA, so we don't allow it either." In fact, AS elites do indeed get to upgrade a companion: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...elite-benefits
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:24 pm

I was transferred to the OneWorld alliance team as they can't figure out why we're not on the list despite everything else looking correct.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Related thread here:

BrianV and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
And even getting waitlisted for a battlefield upgrade is hit-or-miss. Some gate agents won't do it for you if you have a companion.

ETA: one tip is to try to get the agent at the check in counter to do it, and if they won't then ask the gate agent. That way you get two bites at the apple.

I've had an agent refuse because "AS elites don't get to upgrade a companion on AA, so we don't allow it either." In fact, AS elites do indeed get to upgrade a companion: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...elite-benefits
Thanks, I guess I just inappropriately assumed one companion would be linked to me. Based on your response, it seems you don't even get waitlisted, but instead you need a human at the airport to gracefully do it for you. I'm still on with this agent and OneWorld desk, we'll see what they say the rules are. I guess I'm just resolved with Premium Seats for this trip. It's a bummer as I opted to fly AS for the non-stop and just had 4 SWUs expire, would've flown AA metal and used the SWUs had I known I'd have no shot at an upgrade. Oh well, it's a short trip.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:30 pm

Well they came back and couldn't figure out why we're not on the list and then stated, "We had a supervisor manually put you on it, you should see it in 15 minutes." I'm not holding my breath...
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
Brutal, they should definitely do a better job on the various web sites of highlighting that shortcoming. In my case, my wife/companion is only AA Gold, so without being tied to me, it's worthless anyways. However, if you're CK and EXP, that's a definite raw deal. I usually travel alone or with 3, AS also doesn't permit Premium seats if traveling with more than 1. Looks like I'll only fly AS in the future if going solo.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by BrianV
Thanks, I guess I just inappropriately assumed one companion would be linked to me. Based on your response, it seems you don't even get waitlisted, but instead you need a human at the airport to gracefully do it for you. I'm still on with this agent and OneWorld desk, we'll see what they say the rules are. I guess I'm just resolved with Premium Seats for this trip. It's a bummer as I opted to fly AS for the non-stop and just had 4 SWUs expire, would've flown AA metal and used the SWUs had I known I'd have no shot at an upgrade. Oh well, it's a short trip.
That has been my experience on probably about half a dozen AS flights this year, but I saw someone in another thread say that an AAgent told them they've finally updated the policy to accommodate the companion as well, as of a few days ago. I can't vouch for that, though. It's supposed to happen "later" according to AA; not very specific. https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...a-airlines.jsp
^Initially this benefit only applies to the AAdvantage® status member. Later, AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro® and AAdvantage Platinum® members will be able to extend this benefit to 1 companion traveling on the same flight and in the same reservation.
BrianV likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:39 pm

Thanks to all for the help and clarification. I'm still not on the waitlist. Will report back tomorrow from the airport and see what the agents say.
Zacnlinc, LowValueCustomer and DC9 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Same is happening to me on a flight tomorrow. Was promised by multiple agents myself and companion were on the waitlist at T-5 days when there were several J seats left. Now I see the waitlist and we’re not even on it at all and of course all seats are gone. Frustrating. I can’t split PNR because I’m using a companion certificate. No agent can figure out why we cannot be added to the upgrade waitlist as Emerald. I could try at the airport but by then what’s the point, seats are gone.
DC9 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I flew SAN-SMF round trip in early Sept. upon check in, I saw that my companion (AA FF but no current status) and I were 3 and 4 on the list for 2 seats. We ended up 1 and 2 when the two passengers ahead of us cleared. On the return, we were both upgraded about 48hrs out as the cabin was pretty much empty.

I'm going to miss those upgrades when I drop to AA Gold next year. BAEC gold doesn’t qualify for upgrades.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flew SAN-SMF with a companion last week (Me as AA PP/Emerald, her with no status) and we were both upgraded 72 hours out on both flights.
dciolli likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.