Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price Change While Ticket is On Hold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Price Change While Ticket is On Hold

I put a flight on hold last night. Today, the flight is $60 less. When I go through the final purchase today of the flight on hold, will it automatically reduce the price by $60/ticket? Or do I need to cancel the hold and re-purchase (or re-hold) the ticket for the lower price?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I put a flight on hold last night. Today, the flight is $60 less. When I go through the final purchase today of the flight on hold, will it automatically reduce the price by $60/ticket? Or do I need to cancel the hold and re-purchase (or re-hold) the ticket for the lower price?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
You need to cancel and repurchase. The hold is for that specific fare, no different than if the price had gone up your hold would still honor the original lower fare.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
It seems to me that it used to reprice it in that scenario. It has been a few years since I have had it happen though. Might as well cancel and put on hold & see if it drops tomorrow if you have that luxury.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You need to cancel and repurchase. The hold is for that specific fare, no different than if the price had gone up your hold would still honor the original lower fare.
If I cancel, do I need to wait a certain amount of time before I could re-purchase the exact same itinerary?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
If I cancel, do I need to wait a certain amount of time before I could re-purchase the exact same itinerary?
You shouldn't have to wait more than a few seconds at most--I've done it successfully several times--it should be almost instantaneous. At most, you could wait for the cancellation email confirmation.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
As mentioned you don't have to wait anything more than 1 second after you cancel.

And honestly, lately aa.com has let me hold myself on the exact same flight under more than one reservation (this used to not be possible, you'd get a warning that it appeared to be a duplicate reservation). So you could always try to put another reservation on hold under the new price, then go back and cancel your old reservation.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That hasn't been the case in my experience. The system automatically adjusted to the lower fare in the payment screen. Cancelling creates a HUGE risk of the expected lower fare be gone in less than a second. Fares are quoted dynamically. YMMV
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I just cancelled and put the new cost on hold, so things worked out! When I did try to "buy" the original hold, I can confirm it wanted to charge me the amount I put it on hold for yesterday, which is why I went the cancel/re-hold route.

Thank you all for your inputs on this!
Auto Enthusiast and apeortdz like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
You can log in simultaneously with two different browsers, bring up the existing reservation one one and try to make a duplicate reservation on the other, cancel the original reservation in the first browser when the duplicate reservation message comes up in the second browser, and then book the new reservation in the second browser. Easy peasy.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
What vasantn does is precisely what I do: use two browsers and have the old res visible while pricing out the new res. As soon as you select flights on the new res, cancel the old one.

As others have noted, I have seen that AA no longer "dings" you immediately for having a duplicate res. I've been able to book the same passenger on the same itinerary on the same dates without aa.com saying this was a duplicate of an existing reservation.
ryanbriar and lamphs like this.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jul 8, 2022 at 6:59 pm
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:54 am

Similar story, I'll share my experience for future searchers.

Booked flight on Friday for $380. Noticed it went down to $330 today. Placed a hold, then canceled the original reservation. Went to purchase ticket again using the hold, turns out you can't add a flight credit to a held reservation on the website. Went through the new reservation process again, price was the same, completed reservation using flight credit. Then I canceled the held reservation.

Long story short, follow the previous advice of queuing up a new reservation, cancel the old one, then complete the new booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.