Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU Protection - Making a tight connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU Protection - Making a tight connection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes AA told me that even though their flight I was upgraded on via SWU was out for mx they wouldn't be able to honor the SWU on BA so if I chose BA routing it would be in coach.
i don't think this is correct. I have been cancelled MX on AA on AA90 using an SWU (day flight ORD-LHR) and they asked me if I wanted to fly AA (in Biz) or BA - opted for biz.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
i don't think this is correct. I have been cancelled MX on AA on AA90 using an SWU (day flight ORD-LHR) and they asked me if I wanted to fly AA (in Biz) or BA - opted for biz.
I know--several others on here told me the same. If I didn't take another AA flight the next day I would have fought to go J on BA all the way.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:03 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
They’re supposed to protect in J on irregular ops, but they don’t always do it. The SWU thread here has the rules.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If a cancellation happens in advance, and they are rebooking on a partner, then it's definitely a YMMV/HUCA situation. I've had agents rebook me in BA F (AA codeshare flight #) when my AA flight (upgraded to F with a SWU) was removed from the schedule. I've also had them tell me before that they couldn't.

In an IRROPS situation at the airport, the agents will usually just treat you like another business class customer, and have more leeway to endorse your ticket into J on a partner.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DMPHL
If a cancellation happens in advance, and they are rebooking on a partner, then it's definitely a YMMV/HUCA situation. I've had agents rebook me in BA F (AA codeshare flight #) when my AA flight (upgraded to F with a SWU) was removed from the schedule. I've also had them tell me before that they couldn't.

In an IRROPS situation at the airport, the agents will usually just treat you like another business class customer, and have more leeway to endorse your ticket into J on a partner.
This. A schedule change/cancellation in advance and you can pretty much only ask for another AA flight. If it's IRROPS in the commonly understood sense (within 24 hours of departure/day of departure) then you're just another J passenger and should be rebooked as such.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
This. A schedule change/cancellation in advance and you can pretty much only ask for another AA flight. If it's IRROPS in the commonly understood sense (within 24 hours of departure/day of departure) then you're just another J passenger and should be rebooked as such.
I have a datapoint. Had a schedule change where AA removed the route from the schedule, tried to get moved to the BA prime option. First agent (who was EXP line I believe) said it's not possible due to the SWU's only working on AA. HUCA, but this time tried the regular customer service line, and they were able to get me on the BA flight. I gave them the AA codeshare number, they said it wasn't letting them but they can try something else, and it worked out. We'll see if it sticks. Thanks to everyone in the thread!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/CK
This happened to us on a Tokyo flight. It took 10 mins on the call but they switched us to business class on JAL.
Spiff and zdfld like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/CK
Small update to my original thread.

When we got to LAX and checked in, my husband's business class seat disappeared. Was in the app in the morning and LAX voom gone. Seat malfunction.

Ended up emailing as we were boarding and requested gate arrival at JFK to help us. Landed in JFK with no seat for him. They had us go to the lounge to figure it out. Full flight.

Agent was great, then disappeared as the flight was boarding. She ran up last minute and got him a seat up front. I had never booked CK gate meetup or whatever it is called but it proved invaluable.
FlyerBeek, Parkdesigner and zdfld like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.