Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA flight attendants forgot to escort unaccompanied minor in MIA

AA flight attendants forgot to escort unaccompanied minor in MIA

Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City + Vail, CO
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 3,191
AA flight attendants forgot to escort unaccompanied minor in MIA

I just saw this video online of a story that AA forgot to accompany an unaccompanied minor off the plane in Miami today (coming off a flight from chattanooga) :

donotblink is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:29 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,147
How old was the kid?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:36 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City + Vail, CO
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 3,191
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How old was the kid?
twelve
donotblink is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:01 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Posts: 2,914
I loved the "Miami, one of the biggest human trafficking hubs in the country" part, as if that makes AA look bad rather than the parent who shipped her 12-year-old daughter there ... unaccompanied.

I know kids are sheltered today, but the idea that a 12-year-old is in grave danger in an airport is really comical.

In any event, I'd bet AA would be happy never to fly another unaccompanied minor, so parents like this should be careful what they wish for.
js1993 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:54 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,283
Originally Posted by js1993
I loved the "Miami, one of the biggest human trafficking hubs in the country" part, as if that makes AA look bad rather than the parent who shipped her 12-year-old daughter there ... unaccompanied.
.
The parent did what she should do with AA and booked the child to go as an unaccompanied minor. AA does look bad ( and imo did badly ) if it failed to handle the accompanying of the minor

Comments about risk in an airport or about Miami don't really make any sense. In other countries, 12 year olds can happily travel without a UM service - not sure why AA thinks kids in US are less capable
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:02 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 35,141
While this should never happen, wasn't the child given proper instructions? Twelve-year-olds are not 8-year-olds.

My instructions to my child would have been:

1. An American Airlines representative is supposed to escort you all the way from the plane to your dad.
2. If you find yourself lost or alone, stop where you are and call your mom or dad immediately.

It's not that difficult.
vasantn is online now  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:12 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,283
Originally Posted by vasantn
While this should never happen, wasn't the child given proper instructions? Twelve-year-olds are not 8-year-olds.

My instructions to my child would have been:

1. An American Airlines representative is supposed to escort you all the way from the plane to your dad.
2. If you find yourself lost or alone, stop where you are and call your mom or dad immediately.

It's not that difficult.
The child should never have been allowed to leave the aeroplane by the flight attendants and should have ensured that the child was handed over to the ground person responsible for meeting the child. The child shouldn't have needed insructions given that the airline had responsibility for the child

There shouldn't need to be instructions given on what to do if the airline who has taken responsibility, is negligent. It doesn't matter what age the UM is.

If the child had been on an itinerary where no UM service is provided, then indeed, the child should have a decent set of instructions on what to do for the whole journey

This seems purely an AA fault situation
BearX220, knit-in, Gerbs and 3 others like this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:49 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
There's no doubt that it's AA's fault but the idea that a 12 year old cannot find their way from the gate to the exit is comical.

When I was 12 I was given a bus pass and was taking the city bus to school and back every day. And so were my 12 year old friends.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:58 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,992
Originally Posted by vasantn
While this should never happen, wasn't the child given proper instructions? Twelve-year-olds are not 8-year-olds.

My instructions to my child would have been:

1. An American Airlines representative is supposed to escort you all the way from the plane to your dad.
2. If you find yourself lost or alone, stop where you are and call your mom or dad immediately.

It's not that difficult.
It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The parent was concerned (right, wrong and regardless, really not our business to judge) booked UM service and therefore should receive the service as promised.

Twelve or eight is casting a wide net - I know 8 year olds that I'd be fine with handing my wallet to and not being surprised at the end and 12 year olds that I wouldn't leave alone.

Point being, it's not our place to judge why a child was sent UM. Personally, I prefer that parents err on the side of caution vs expecting luck or some random stranger to deal with their kid.
Antarius is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:00 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,992
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There's no doubt that it's AA's fault but the idea that a 12 year old cannot find their way from the gate to the exit is comical.

When I was 12 I was given a bus pass and was taking the city bus to school and back every day. And so were my 12 year old friends.
I flew solo at 4 due to a disaster at Stapleton (right before it closed).

I don't think our personal experiences should matter here. What if this 12 year old was shy? Not comfortable being with strangers? Needed help for medical reasons? Or just simply needed UM for -none of our business?

It's not fair to apply our biases to a parent that made the effort to book their kid UM.

This is AA's fault. No one else.
roberto99, Gerbs, DMPHL and 9 others like this.
Antarius is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:07 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by Antarius
I flew solo at 4 due to a disaster at Stapleton (right before it closed).

I don't think our personal experiences should matter here. What if this 12 year old was shy? Not comfortable being with strangers? Needed help for medical reasons? Or just simply needed UM for -none of our business?

It's not fair to apply our biases to a parent that made the effort to book their kid UM.

This is AA's fault. No one else.
I agreed that it was AA's fault. It's the first thing I wrote.

However, posting to tik tok tells me that the parent is just after attention or an underserved payday. I have zero sympathy here.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jul 4, 2022 at 10:15 pm
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:25 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,283
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I agreed that it was AA's fault. It's the first thing I wrote.

However, posting to tik tok tells me that the parent is just after attention or an underserved payday. I have zero sympathy here.
If they posted it on Flyertalk it would have been ok though?
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:26 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City + Vail, CO
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 3,191
Originally Posted by js1993
I loved the "Miami, one of the biggest human trafficking hubs in the country" part, as if that makes AA look bad rather than the parent who shipped her 12-year-old daughter there ... unaccompanied.

I know kids are sheltered today, but the idea that a 12-year-old is in grave danger in an airport is really comical.

In any event, I'd bet AA would be happy never to fly another unaccompanied minor, so parents like this should be careful what they wish for.
The human trafficking bit was a bit much, but TBH, how many threads have we had about fights breaking out in Terminal D at MIA?!?

Originally Posted by Antarius
It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The parent was concerned (right, wrong and regardless, really not our business to judge) booked UM service and therefore should receive the service as promised.

Twelve or eight is casting a wide net - I know 8 year olds that I'd be fine with handing my wallet to and not being surprised at the end and 12 year olds that I wouldn't leave alone.

Point being, it's not our place to judge why a child was sent UM. Personally, I prefer that parents err on the side of caution vs expecting luck or some random stranger to deal with their kid.
From the AA website:

We want your child to have a safe and positive trip. For safety, we require children age 5 14 traveling alone to use our unaccompanied minor service. This service is optional for children age 15 17, but if requested, then the fee applies.

We charge a $150 unaccompanied service fee (plus tax, where applicable) each way, in addition to the ticket price. This fee covers additional siblings on the same flight.
Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ied-minors.jsp

They had no choice but to use the UM service for a 12 year old based on AA rules.
donotblink is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:45 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 510
Curious why AA allows UM. I know they make a few $$$, but when things go bad, the press is lousy. Seems it would just be easier to require parents/guardians to accompany minors.
bgasser is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:49 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,904
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If they posted it on Flyertalk it would have been ok though?
Asking for advice on what to do, sure. Calling Miami a human trafficking hub, not so much. That sort of melodrama is likely to get mocked, as it should
VegasGambler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.