Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why don't Admirals Club staff enforce Admirals Club house rules

Why don't Admirals Club staff enforce Admirals Club house rules

Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
Sadly, airline lounges have been invaded by Gen Pop due to credit card offers, free passes, etc. They are no longer special. Often, an empty, quiet gate can be a refuge.
IME, the worst behaved are the ones that aren't what you call "gen pop". The self important businessman bragging about his sale loudly has been an annoyance as long as travel has existed.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
IME, the worst behaved are the ones that aren't what you call "gen pop". The self important businessman bragging about his sale loudly has been an annoyance as long as travel has existed.
Yes. These types of people are in Webster's Dictionary. If you turn to page 345 on the right side find "TOOL".

At any rate I have encountered these specimens in the lounge before. I do not do anything subtle. I would just simply look at them and say "really?".
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Them, and people who call friends/family just to talk, and not for anything urgent, while in the Admirals Club. It makes sense to want to use some downtime to connect with loved ones, and it's great to want to check in with people, but while you're in the middle of the Admirals Club, or at the departure gate? Some things are best left to when you're in your own home or other private area.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Below are Admirals Club house rules, available at Admirals Club terms and conditions − Travel information − American Airlines (aa.com)

The ones that I have bolded below are commonly violated and AA staff does nothing, even when a dog is running around the Admirals Club, barking, and people are yelling on their cellphones, in speaker mode.

Today there was a lady at the LGA Admirals Club who was using her laptop to have a video call, with the sound on full blast. I had it and walked over to her and said, "Speaker use isn't allowed", and she looked at me, and I showed her the house rules on my phone and said, "Speaker use isn't allowed" and pointed to the text, and she turned the volume down. It wasn't difficult. I could have been nicer, and AA staff could surely be trained to tactfully get rulebreakers to stop (as staff at private clubs often does).

Then another passenger walked over to her and apparently recognized her from a TV show (I think Good Morning America).

If I can get a celebrity to be quiet, anyone can.

House rules

• During your visit to an Admirals Club lounge, American requires that your attire and conduct are consistent with a professional environment
1) Did you ask an AA agent to address the speaker issue before deciding to solve the problem yourself?

2) I don't know you. You might be a fantastically hip young person in their twenties who has a great sense of attire and conduct. I would strongly suspect that your idea of what "professional" attire and conduct looks like might differ from other guests and/or AA. This isn't your private club.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by tennessetom
One rude person makes you recognize how considerate most people are. Think if everyone thought they could blare calls

Calls on speaker is a pet peeve of mine there was one I could hear the other day which was chock filled with MNPI, Material non public information, part of me wanted to call his firms ethics office to report him. I have no idea where common sense was, I guess he thought all those near him were too dumb to understand the call he had blaring but it really only takes one person that understands the call for there to be an issue. I think the club staff is just worn out
A few years back I bought a stock based on something overheard in an AC in a similar environment. Made >20% in two weeks. Should have bought more .
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
1) Did you ask an AA agent to address the speaker issue before deciding to solve the problem yourself?

2) I don't know you. You might be a fantastically hip young person in their twenties who has a great sense of attire and conduct. I would strongly suspect that your idea of what "professional" attire and conduct looks like might differ from other guests and/or AA. This isn't your private club.
1: Another guest did, and the staff member said, "Let me see what we can do" and then walked off. Nothing happened.

2: Where did I complain about attire?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
1: Another guest did, and the staff member said, "Let me see what we can do" and then walked off. Nothing happened.

2: Where did I complain about attire?
The bolded statement addresses attire and conduct?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
The bolded statement addresses attire and conduct?
Yes, and my posts have focused on noise. These days, "professional" means gym clothes and athletic shoes or anything else that mostly covers up things. I usually wear a dress or polo shirt and khakis when traveling but I have no grounds to call out anyone for wearing "unprofessional" clothing as long as most everything is covered up. Even the lady in first class who was wearing tight leggings that were skin color, and a tight top that was skin color, met that standard.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Jul 5, 2022 at 10:10 am
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
A few years back I bought a stock based on something overheard in an AC in a similar environment. Made >20% in two weeks. Should have bought more .
"I'm lgor Stravinsky. I'm calling about some ranch property I'd like to buy... I overheard some people talking at the club...and $3 million sounded like a good price." -Fletch

In all seriousness, I also once bought a biotech stock based on a conversation I overheard in the club... not about the stock exactly, but regarding some other information that was being spoken way too loudly into a cell phone. Turned out to be a good play.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by arollins
Here is my answer to those talking on phone loudly/speakerphone, etc. As long as I can, I will just phone bomb them, just pretend to have a conversation on my phone answering about the same conversation of the other party.
I told my wife that Im not the only one that gets tired and pulls stunts like that!

And then there was the day I was in the AC discussing with my business partner something he did that cost us a few bucks. Someone did the same thing to me. I couldnt crawl under the table fast enough!

But you certainly do get the sense of who is having a bad day and who is just air bragging.
arollins likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Option 2.... Be a part of the video call.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Snuggs
I told my wife that I’m not the only one that gets tired and pulls stunts like that!

And then there was the day I was in the AC “discussing “ with my business partner something he did that cost us a few bucks. Someone did the same thing to me. I couldn’t crawl under the table fast enough!

But you certainly do get the sense of who is having a bad day and who is just “air bragging”.
The girlfriend and I were in the AC (MIA D30 on what was an actually quiet morning) when this woman started up a Zoom/Webex/Teams call - no earbuds, no headset, no nothing. She apparently was the call leader. After about 5 minutes of corporate babble speak, the GF started getting really annoyed. So we decided to start talking about anal sex . That got the woman's attention.....She moved. I should have taken the GFs advice and had us go to the Centurion. But at the Centurion, substitute Zoom calls for 100 selfies of how important you are because you got into the Centurion Lounge.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The girlfriend and I were in the AC (MIA D30 on what was an actually quiet morning) when this woman started up a Zoom/Webex/Teams call - no earbuds, no headset, no nothing. She apparently was the call leader. After about 5 minutes of corporate babble speak, the GF started getting really annoyed. So we decided to start talking about anal sex . That got the woman's attention.....She moved. I should have taken the GFs advice and had us go to the Centurion. But at the Centurion, substitute Zoom calls for 100 selfies of how important you are because you got into the Centurion Lounge.
thats awesome.

I would have also video bombed her teams call.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In the private club where I'm a member, which has hourly, unionized staff, the hourly, unionized staff does politely enforce rules.
I'm a member of a private club too and rules are enforced.

But I'm also realistic, expecting an airline lounge which are just about the least exclusive place in the world now to be anything like a private club is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm a member of a private club too and rules are enforced.

But I'm also realistic, expecting an airline lounge which are just about the least exclusive place in the world now to be anything like a private club is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Today I was in the main lounge of my private club, enjoying an Old Fashioned as I got some work done (reading some documents, as laptops are banned) after a nice workout, while being gazed at by a portraits of several US presidents who were members, and club leaders, on the walls around me.

Of course, a guy came in with his phone and started talking.

I quickly looked up the club rules and noticed where phone calls are allowed, so I went over to him and said, as quietly as I could, "Sorry, I think cell phone calls are allowed in the lobby and the phone booths next to the lobby, thanks." He jumped up and ran out to one of those places.

It's not hard to politely enforce cell phone restrictions. It should not matter what level of (non)-exclusivity Admirals Clubs have. The 95% of us who follow the rules shoudn't be imposed on by the 5% who don't.
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.