Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Adventures in MIA: removed from flight due to smell

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!

The scratch-n-sniff version of this article has been banned due to community standards!

Last night I flew AA340 MIA-PHL, Flagship J, arriving 7:20AM. I was originally booked to connect to AA375 leaving around 9AM but they moved me to a different flight (AA1681?) leaving at 10AM.

I originated in Las Vegas where, as is my wont, I changed into sweats before boarding my flight. Actually I changed around 4PM, then flew AS530 to LAX, then to MIA. When I sat down in my seat on the MIA-PHL flight, they asked me to step off, and basically told me that I smelled too bad to fly. Well I'm not sure I could argue with them, as it was pretty damn hot in Vegas and the airports and planes weren't especially cool.

Other than being tired, I'm in no particular hurry to get home, so no biggie, I went back to the FL and took a shower, and I did have an extra day's change of clothes. They waitlisted me for F on a 1:44 departure to PHL and confirmed me at 7:33.

But then I - checked EF. And guess what, flight 375, which is a B787, is still operating today, just at a different time, 4:45PM. So I went out to the podium in the FL and lo and behold, they confirmed me on AA375 at 4:45PM. Lie-flat and all.

Now for the even funkier part. My air conditioning at home broke about two weeks ago. I jumped on it ASAP but the earliest I could get it replaced was July 5. The first few days were coolish, and then I left for Vegas, but it's gonna be pretty hot today and tomorrow. Until it cools down a bit in the evening, my choice was going to be to chill out in the car (pun intended) or hang out at my brother's house, an hour away, even though he's away on a trip with his son (but his wife is probably home). So while right now I'd rather be napping, I'd still rather be in the air-conditioned FL in MIA, than sweltering at home.

I'm not sure why they put me on the 7:44 flight except that maybe when they looked, it was full and a seat opened up later.

Maybe next time I make this trip I'll take a shower when I get to MIA without being asked!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
You seem to be confused about AA's products. Domestically, Flagship is only offered MIA LAX (772 or 77W flights), JFK LAX/SFO, BOS/LAX, and DFW HNL/OGG.

AA regularly flies widebody aircraft on routes such MIA CLT/DFW/ORD/PHL but on these flights everything gets treated as regular F with the only difference being the flat beds you get.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Bit confused. AA340 is the daily overnight LAX-MIA flight....
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redtop43
The scratch-n-sniff version of this article has been banned due to community standards!

Last night I flew AA340 LAX-MIA, Flagship J, arriving 7:20AM. I was originally booked to connect to AA375 to PHL leaving around 9AM but they moved me to a different flight (AA1681?) leaving at 10AM.

I originated in Las Vegas where, as is my wont, I changed into sweats before boarding my flight. Actually I changed around 4PM, then flew AS530 to LAX, then to MIA. When I sat down in my seat on the MIA-PHL flight, they asked me to step off, and basically told me that I smelled too bad to fly. Well I'm not sure I could argue with them, as it was pretty damn hot in Vegas and the airports and planes weren't especially cool.

Other than being tired, I'm in no particular hurry to get home, so no biggie, I went back to the FL and took a shower, and I did have an extra day's change of clothes. They waitlisted me for F on a 1:44 departure to PHL and confirmed me at 7:33.

But then I - checked EF. And guess what, flight 375, which is a B787, is still operating today, just at a different time, 4:45PM. So I went out to the podium in the FL and lo and behold, they confirmed me on AA375 at 4:45PM. Lie-flat and all.

Now for the even funkier part. My air conditioning at home broke about two weeks ago. I jumped on it ASAP but the earliest I could get it replaced was July 5. The first few days were coolish, and then I left for Vegas, but it's gonna be pretty hot today and tomorrow. Until it cools down a bit in the evening, my choice was going to be to chill out in the car (pun intended) or hang out at my brother's house, an hour away, even though he's away on a trip with his son (but his wife is probably home). So while right now I'd rather be napping, I'd still rather be in the air-conditioned FL in MIA, than sweltering at home.

I'm not sure why they put me on the 7:44 flight except that maybe when they looked, it was full and a seat opened up later.

Maybe next time I make this trip I'll take a shower when I get to MIA without being asked!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
You seem to be confused about AA's products. Domestically, Flagship is only offered MIA LAX (772 or 77W flights), JFK LAX/SFO, BOS/LAX, and DFW HNL/OGG.

AA regularly flies widebody aircraft on routes such MIA CLT/DFW/ORD/PHL but on these flights everything gets treated as regular F with the only difference being the flat beds you get.
I was not confused, I just plain-out misstated my routing. Corrected now.

I flew LAX-MIA in Flagship J, and am now flying MIA-PHL in F on a B787, with lie-flat seats. This was my originally booked connection but when they moved the flight times around they moved me to F on an A321 MIA-PHL, but I've now been rebooked on a later flight with lie-flats.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, National Executive, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I would be mortified if I was removed from a flight due to my smell. However, I’m glad(?) you’re comfortable enough to share this with all of us. Perhaps, this is another reason the two extra stops and extra hours traveling aren’t worth the lie-flat for a few hours.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBBflyer
I would be mortified if I was removed from a flight due to my smell. However, I’m glad(?) you’re comfortable enough to share this with all of us. Perhaps, this is another reason the two extra stops and extra hours traveling aren’t worth the lie-flat for a few hours.
I'm starting to think you're right. I\m sure this wouldn't have happened if it weren't so hot (although in practice Vegas is pretty hot from May through late September) but I feel like this was an experiment that didn't work. I have two more trips booked like this and I probably won't change them since airfares have generally gone up a lot, but I won't book any more.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:56 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I know you like your lie flats, but it seems crazy to essentially do mileage-run routings when earning is revenue-based now, And when AA’s flight ops are melting down daily…
alggag, wrp96, LovePrunes and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I know you like your lie flats, but it seems crazy to essentially do mileage-run routings when earning is revenue-based now, And when AA’s flight ops are melting down daily…
Maybe he needs the segments...I know I might need a segment run to get 30.
MasterPlanner and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
As we all know too well, the AA FFP has moved from mileage runs, to then EQD/EQM runs, and now to imaginary hotel stays and gift card shopping....
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I've never heard of body ordour being enforced other than in combination with dress
aren't body ordours subjective ? Why were you singled out. Did you set off any alarms
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I've never heard of body ordour being enforced other than in combination with dress
aren't body ordours subjective ? Why were you singled out. Did you set off any alarms
I recall this episode from Airline TV show on A&E.

N830MH, CLT and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:36 pm

Did another passenger get a chance to report you or did the FAs notice you right away and decide themselves?

Were your sweats from a previois workout or clean when you had them on in vegas? (No worries if you don't answer... just my curiousity.)

Thank you for being so chill. Many people would come here to rant and rave.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Susie rocked that one....I have forgotten about this show, almost 20 years ago...
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

I don't know who made an issue of it. The person who took me off the flight seemed to be a manager, not flight crew. I imagine he was expecting, or at least cautious about, a more adverse reaction than what I gave, which was "OK, let's just make sure I get rebooked before I go back to the lounge to take a shower."

The clothes were clean when I put them on Friday afternoon. I never pack dirty clothes.

As I said, I'm not booking any more trips like this. I'm also going to travel a lot less; it's time. As long as I can manipulate the GC's I can make PPRO with a relatively small number of paid trips per year, especially if I buy F.
Synapseturquoise and becks1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.