Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

TPA Airport question, flying domestically in AA F

Old Jul 1, 22, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist

First, I searched but didn't find this answer so apologies if I missed it.

I am flying out next Saturday morning at 945 in AA F domestically and have my in laws traveling with me (same record locator) who do not have pre check
1. Will AA assign them pre check based on the other 3 passengers having it?
2. If not, is there a premium security line for the AA gates?

Finally, any suggestions on when to be at the airport for a 945 AM flight with checked bags?
Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
98.2% of the time (or close to it) when at least 1 passenger in a PNR has pre-check, any passengers without pre-check are grandfathered in.

Barring any behind the scenes TSA snafu / your in-laws are on some government watch list / etc - you should be fine with them receiving pre-check on their BP.
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by jtav559 View Post
98.2% of the time (or close to it) when at least 1 passenger in a PNR has pre-check, any passengers without pre-check are grandfathered in.

Barring any behind the scenes TSA snafu / your in-laws are on some government watch list / etc - you should be fine with them receiving pre-check on their BP.
I don't believe that to be true. I am precheck. I have flown 3 round trips with my family & 2 additional ones with my wife in the past 12 months. Zero times were any of them marked as precheck. I do remember a few years ago that they used to get precheck along with me, but that has been awhile.
Gerbs, cmn.jcs, LovePrunes and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I have precheck, my wife doesn't. Pre covid we would all get it if on the same booking, presumably due to me having it. In a recent trip the two children (<18) got it with me and she didn't. It was outbound and return so not an anomaly. She was not happy . I took all of her bags but she still had to wait for 30 minutes while we were through in 5.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I had precheck and my wife didn't. I think once out of 20 times we flew did she also get assigned precheck. It was a running joke everytime me saying "see ya inside" eventually she got precheck too.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum

Not at all correct. TSA stopped this a few years ago except for children 12 and under and then randomly for 13 to 17 year olds.
Old Jul 1, 22, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK

This is completely wrong in every way, and "grandfathered" is the wrong word here, even if it were true.
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:39 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by NDtraveler View Post
First, I searched but didn't find this answer so apologies if I missed it.

I am flying out next Saturday morning at 945 in AA F domestically and have my in laws traveling with me (same record locator) who do not have pre check
1. Will AA assign them pre check based on the other 3 passengers having it?
2. If not, is there a premium security line for the AA gates?

Finally, any suggestions on when to be at the airport for a 945 AM flight with checked bags?
Thanks!
Nope. My wife's Global Entry expired before she remembered to renew it, causing her PreCheck to lapse, and then she renewed her GE and had her interview but now it's been "pending" for like 7 months. So she's without PreCheck this whole time and we've flown 20 times and every time she hopes maybe she'll get PreCheck based on mine, but no dice. Our 1-year-old has Global Entry. But wifey is stuck waiting with the plebs! (at least where there's no CLEAR lane...)

As for what time to arrive, these days with non-PreCheck folks I would get there by 8 a.m. You can use the priority line to check bags but you never know when regular security will take an hour.
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:51 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The good thing about TPA is that the security checkpoints are in the individual concourses so if it's a quiet Saturday morning in TPA terminal F, it may not be all that bad for non-PreCheck folks. It's also the week after the busy holiday travel so there may be some relief.
Old Jul 2, 22, 9:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by ksucats View Post
I don't believe that to be true. I am precheck. I have flown 3 round trips with my family & 2 additional ones with my wife in the past 12 months. Zero times were any of them marked as precheck. I do remember a few years ago that they used to get precheck along with me, but that has been awhile.
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles View Post
Not at all correct. TSA stopped this a few years ago except for children 12 and under and then randomly for 13 to 17 year olds.
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
This is completely wrong in every way, and "grandfathered" is the wrong word here, even if it were true.

Wow, I guess your experiences are in stark contrast to mine.... I have had non-precheck folks traveling with me on the same PNR probably a dozen times in the last 4 years and they have always been granted pre-check - as recent as 4 months ago.
Old Jul 2, 22, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm with the majority. No one traveling with me has ever gotten my pre-check. Funnily enough my mom has randomly gotten it a few times, but only when not traveling with me.
Old Jul 2, 22, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
I have precheck, my wife doesn't. Pre covid we would all get it if on the same booking, presumably due to me having it. In a recent trip the two children (<18) got it with me and she didn't. It was outbound and return so not an anomaly. She was not happy . I took all of her bags but she still had to wait for 30 minutes while we were through in 5.
Likewise. Pre-covid, my wife would always get Precheck based on my membership. That ended abruptly maybe 1.5 years ago, and she never received it again until she registered for Precheck herself.
pauleeepaul and platbrownguy like this.
Old Jul 11, 22, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry for not responding earlier!

My in laws did NOT get precheck. Priority checkin was empty at 8 AM and security took them an extra 15 minutes compared to pre check. The Admirals club was actually pretty empty. Overall a great trip
Uzzar and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread