Old Jun 30, 22, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
AA80. DFW to LHR 30th June Cancelled?

My son was scheduled on the above flight last night from Dallas back to London
It appears to have been cancelled

Does anyone have any info as to why it was cancelled
And what would have likely happened to all the passengers
Put up in hotels overnight or rerouted via alternative airport e.g. JFK?
​​​​​​
Is it just a case of waiting until he contacts us

​​​​​
Old Jun 30, 22, 11:46 pm

AA80 was canceled at 6:37pm. That would be too late to reroute to another airport the same day, but there was a BA flight at 9:30pm and another AA flight at 10:52pm to squeeze as many on as they can.

The rest would likely get hotel rooms and booked on one of many direct fights on Friday.
Fatdickie and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 11:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Looks mechanical. Passengers were probably rebooked on other flights either via Dfw (7/1 flights are basically all booked) or connecting through other hubs if seats werent available.

They also ended up cancelling flight 79 tomorrow from LHR to DFW because the plane never made it.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Aircraft swap from 773 to 772 due to maintenance. AA 79 LHR-DFW 1 July is now AA 9601, same time. Im on the flight. It was chaotic for a bit at 3 AM CET when 79 canxd and I called I to rebook. Everything was sold out. About 30 mins after 79 canxd they reinstated it as 9601 on a 772. Other than F pax being downgraded to business and some lost seats it worked out.

Edit: For the OP, AA80 went out as AA9603 last night. He should have been rebooked like we were on the replacement flight.
Fatdickie and aztimm like this.

Last edited by gmt4; Jul 1, 22 at 8:39 am
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
These replacement flights are irritating. This happened to me back in May where they cancelled AA 50 to LHR and an hour later it came back as AA 9XXX whatever. The line in the Flagship lounge was long, the phone agent had no idea what I was talking about coming back with "thats a cargo flight." Someone in the Flagship lounge/original gate must have been moving passengers once the replacement flight number came up as we were re-booked on it automatically without me intervening with an agent. I don't understand why they can't figure out if they have a spare aircraft waiting around prior to cancelling a flight. A change in aircraft doesn't warrent a cancellation and subsequent flight number change.
Fatdickie likes this.

Last edited by umaa83; Jul 1, 22 at 9:16 am
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post

Edit: For the OP, AA80 went out as AA9603 last night. He should have been rebooked like we were on the replacement flight.
Exactly right, thanks

And he got to LHR almost an hour before he was originally meant to 👍
aztimm and jamabam like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by umaa83 View Post
These replacement flights are irritating. This happened to me back in May where they cancelled AA 50 to LHR and an hour later it came back as AA 9XXX whatever. The line in the Flagship lounge was long, the phone agent had no idea what I was talking about coming back with "thats a cargo flight." Someone in the Flagship lounge/original gate must have been moving passengers once the replacement flight number came up as I we were re-booked on it automatically without me intervening with an agent. I don't understand why they can't figure out if they have a spare aircraft waiting around prior to cancelling a flight. A change in aircraft doesn't warrent a cancellation and subsequent flight number change.
Indeed. Phone agent was working my rebook and said there was zero availability on AA flights ex LHR today, and BA had on one or two seats to ORD or DFW. She was about to put me on BA to ORD when 9601 came up. She had to call a supervisor and check on it. It was a legit flight and I got rebooked. Very confusing at first.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Indeed. Phone agent was working my rebook and said there was zero availability on AA flights ex LHR today, and BA had on one or two seats to ORD or DFW. She was about to put me on BA to ORD when 9601 came up. She had to call a supervisor and check on it. It was a legit flight and I got rebooked. Very confusing at first.
Thank goodness this has not happened to me but now Im worried if it ever does. It sounds like you get punished by swinging into action immediately on the cancel notice and finding re-routes and alternatives (and maybe even having to accept downgrades) before they post the new replacement flight.

So would it generally be better to give a long haul canceled flight an hour or so to hope it gets replaced? It goes against our general SOP to act immediately before availability gets snatched up by other pax.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
As I reported last week these 77W's are not proving very reliable these days.
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jamabam View Post
Thank goodness this has not happened to me but now Im worried if it ever does. It sounds like you get punished by swinging into action immediately on the cancel notice and finding re-routes and alternatives (and maybe even having to accept downgrades) before they post the new replacement flight.

So would it generally be better to give a long haul canceled flight an hour or so to hope it gets replaced? It goes against our general SOP to act immediately before availability gets snatched up by other pax.
In my situation, I actually got re-booked on the BA flight later in the evening with the agent on the phone, however, the "replacement" flight had shown up and was just trying to get her to put me on that one to which she was having nothing of. Within 20 minutes of me getting off the phone I somehow got rebooked onto the replacement flight without talking to anyone. Have no idea if it was a gate agent, lounge agent, EP desk, but it happened.
jamabam likes this.

Search this Thread