Wiki Posts
Search

AA Policy Regarding Sick Passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
AA Policy Regarding Sick Passengers?

Does anyone know the AA policy regarding sick passengers? I recently flew business class from JFK-LAX. The woman in the seat next to me was extremely ill and spent most of the flight in the lie-flat position. She was wearing a mask but removed it occasionally to eat, drink, and speak on a couple of occasions. I'm not sure what her specific illness was, but she told me she'd been sick for two days. The FA was well-aware she was sick before takeoff and kindly doted her during the flight. When we landed, the FA asked if she had enough strength to walk or needed a wheelchair (the woman was so sick she accepted the wheelchair). I can certainly sympathize with a sick woman wanting to get home to her own bed, however, the fact that she'd only been sick for two days left me fearful she had COVID or some other contagious ailment and I fretted the entire flight. Does anyone know what AA policy is regarding obviously sick passengers? Are they supposed to be allowed on the plane? The experience was extremely upsetting.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Probably she shouldn't have flown but GAs don't always have the ability or time to do "medical checks" when someone is boarding. Also, you don't know why she was sick. It could have been a stomach bug-I flew one time with one and it wasn't fun. And to be frank, if catching germs upsets you so much the last place you should be is in a metal tube with over 150 people packed together. Not to mention airplanes by nature tend to be very dirty places.

And you were in J, it wasn't like she was nearly sitting on top of you, which would be the situation in Y.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:22 pm

If you were from Asia you would realize the custom of wearing a mask is to protect other people around you. For some bizarre reason this pandemic has people thinking it is for their own protection. I think the fact the women wore a mask is nice and we all accept risks when traveling.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
One of my last trips pre-COVID, I was very weak, pale, needed wheelchair assistance on and off the plane. No it wasn't for any contagious reason and my doctor had encouraged me to go ahead and make the trip. If you were concerned, the time to say something was before the door closed. Otherwise remember that you can't diagnose most illnesses just by looking at someone.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXP100
Probably she shouldn't have flown but GAs don't always have the ability or time to do "medical checks" when someone is boarding. Also, you don't know why she was sick. It could have been a stomach bug-I flew one time with one and it wasn't fun. And to be frank, if catching germs upsets you so much the last place you should be is in a metal tube with over 150 people packed together. Not to mention airplanes by nature tend to be very dirty places.

And you were in J, it wasn't like she was nearly sitting on top of you, which would be the situation in Y.
I certainly understand that flying involves some sort of risk. I also acknowledge that I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with her except that the illness started two days ago. I don't think it was a stomach bug because she only went to the bathroom once but that's neither here nor there. I'm not sure about the GA but the FA clearly knew she was sick before take off as I made clear in my post. My question, as stated in my OP, was does anyone know the AA policy on sick passengers? Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
If you were from Asia you would realize the custom of wearing a mask is to protect other people around you. For some bizarre reason this pandemic has people thinking it is for their own protection. I think the fact the women wore a mask is nice and we all accept risks when traveling.
First, please don't assume where I'm from or may have lived. Second, it was a cloth mask, which doesn't provide much protection, but yes, I realize that a good quality mask, fitted properly, should in theory protect the people around you. Again, my question is if anyone knows the AA policy on sick passengers.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
.... Again, my question is if anyone knows the AA policy on sick passengers.
There is no policy.
JBa, cmd320, funnyfarm299 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uzzar
There is no policy.
Ah, that explains why I couldn't find it online! Thank you so much for this response. It was exactly what I needed to know.
Klements likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, that explains why I couldn't find it online! Thank you so much for this response. It was exactly what I needed to know.
I think that the policy is that they decide on a case by case basis whether a passenger is fit to fly. I believe that they contract with a company that has doctors available to make these decisions in real time, although at the end of the day it's up to the captain (but, if challenged, I'm sure that the airline would rather say that a doctor decided that a passenger was not fit to fly, rather than that the captain decided, so I would not expect the captain be overruling the doctor)

It would be very very difficult to have a set policy as this decision clearly needs to be made on a case by case basis, preferably by someone with some medical expertise.
skylady and SeaLuggageLover like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that the policy is that they decide on a case by case basis whether a passenger is fit to fly. I believe that they contract with a company that has doctors available to make these decisions in real time, although at the end of the day it's up to the captain (but, if challenged, I'm sure that the airline would rather say that a doctor decided that a passenger was not fit to fly, rather than that the captain decided, so I would not expect the captain be overruling the doctor)

It would be very very difficult to have a set policy as this decision clearly needs to be made on a case by case basis, preferably by someone with some medical expertise.
All helpful context, thank you! And I can understand how difficult it could be to have a fast and firm, one-size-fits-all policy in place, especially given privacy laws.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
All helpful context, thank you! And I can understand how difficult it could be to have a fast and firm, one-size-fits-all policy in place, especially given privacy laws.
There are at least 3 different considerations at play (I'm sure there are more) in making decisions here, which is why there can't be a blanket policy:

1. Risk to the sick passenger, i.e., could things become worse for them during the flight?
2. Risk to OTHER passengers/crew, i.e, is it something contagious?
3. Risk to normal operation of the flight, i.e., will the crew need to spend an inordinate amount of time addressing needs of the sick passenger, and/or potential for medical diversion of the flight?

A given situation may involve just one, or multiple such considerations.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

I am not refuting this statement, but in actual reality just how often would a GA summon the "on-call" physician? It's not like they are hanging out by the gate...this could add significant time to boarding, which we already know AA wants to be on time as much as possible. Gate Agents are simply not equipped or educated enough to make these decisions.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
A given situation may involve just one, or multiple such considerations.
Right, it's like asking, what's a hospital's policy on deciding if an ER patient is admitted? The policy is that a doctor decides. Trying to list every possible scenario would be an impossible task. It's a judgement call, and we trust that doctors have sufficient expertise to make that call.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You ask an interesting question, but, at end of day, GA, FA, Pilots, are not trained to determine the degree of illness that a passenger has to prevent them from flying. Ultimately is up to the passenger to make that decision. Prior pandemic, to change a flight will incur a penalty, so most "sick" passengers, or anyone that was not feeling well that day often opted to fly unmasked, and no one batted an eye. Now is a completely different story.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
The "policy" is normally whatever the Captain determines, but he'll try at least to find a doctor first to assess the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.