Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What should I do if first flight of LAS-LAX-MIA-PHL is delayed or cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should I do if first flight of LAS-LAX-MIA-PHL is delayed or cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
While that provides some hope -- and I know that Jon NYC had posted similar information a while ago -- here's an account from another FTer who had a bad experience:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33664713-post337.html
That poster seems to have been doing it backwards. It's not the same as someone who missed his AA flight because of a late AS flight.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by guv1976
You might have better luck with a brick-and-mortar travel agency. I would call first, and ask if they can accomplish this.
Amex has outstanding fares sometimes. The best fare I got on this trip, LAX-MIA (Flagship J)-PHL was cheaper than just the LAX-MIA standalone fare. AA would have wanted about $1100, I paid about $670 for the cheapest trip. The others have been between the low 700's and high 800's.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
LAS-LAX - buy a WN ticket now for a flight a short bit later as a placeholder to protect yourself and cancel it and request credit for future use - you have up to 10 min before departure to cancel with Southwest.
Or book it with points and only the $5.50 in taxes is a credit, the points come right back, you don't even have to cancel it.
NickP 1K likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Or book it with points and only the $5.50 in taxes is a credit, the points come right back, you don't even have to cancel it.
I have a similar strategy,
RULE FOR ME when booking on SPIRIT AIRLINES,
I will book a AA Award ticket and spend the $5.50 as a back up to the Spirit flight.

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 10, 2022 at 6:27 am Reason: Removed manual signature - please see FlyerTalk Rules regarding signatures
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:02 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Have you tried building a fare/itinerary in matrix.itasoftware.com? I just did a mock booking for 9/18 LAS-LAX-MIA-PHL and it came back all AA metal for $252 (one way). I built it as multi leg LAS-LAX and then LAX-PHL with a connection in MIA. You could then pass the Fare construction (at bottom of itinerary) to your agent to see if they can book it all one PNR. My date had no AS flights, however. I even tried booking days that AS operates LAS-LAX and matrix still wouldn't show them. Odd.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.