Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ZRH-PHL-PHX on AA or ZRH-SFO-PHX on UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Question ZRH-PHL-PHX on AA or ZRH-SFO-PHX on UA?

Hi all
wasn't sure which forum to post this so trying here - Mods, pls move where appropriate.

I am looking for recommendations from FTers which is the better route/airline to take. I don't have status on AA or UA so trying to determine which one to buy - price is almost exactly the same for the dates I'm looking at so not a factor. I've never flown AA transatlantic so don't know what to expect

Who has better:
- Hard product? both Boeing 787s. I'll be in Economy. Reading reviews it appears even the seats are the same?
- Service/food? although not having my hopes up (usually fly SWISS but SWISS prices are literally double)
- Which is easiest transfer in PHL or SFO from International to Domestic / less transit time / number of people / etc (example i know LAX transit is terrible having to exit airside so not going via LAX this time)
- Best to recover in case of IROPS (both routes have a 4 or 5 hour layover so ample time)

Timing wise, the AA flight has the slight edge as the PHX departure time is only at 10a whereas the UA flight is at 7a - too early of a start but looking for better reasons to pick.

Thanks all
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
No matter what, either at PHL or SFO, after you've gone through US immigration you will have exited airside and have to go back through security. If you want to avoid this issue, then you're best bet would be an international flight into PHX itself (like the LHR-PHX flights). In economy, I wouldn't say either is better than the other, although I think UA might have a slightly better on time rate currently than AA but that doesn't say much. Neither will provide food in economy on the domestic segments - the PHL-PHX segment is a long time compared to the SFO-PHX segment.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If you were in Business, I would recommend the SFO connection on UA: that would maximize your time in a lie-flat seat, and minimize your time on a narrow-body aircraft.

In Economy, though, I think that I'd prefer the PHL connection on AA, so that I could get off the plane sooner and stretch my legs.

If you can afford it, I would spring for the extra-leg-room seats on either carrier; on long flights, they can make a world of difference.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:54 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Compare the cost of AA Premium Economy to UA Premium Plus (this is a level higher than Main Cabin Extra on AA and Economy Plus on UA). It's a long flight either way, but some people prefer just getting it all over with and taking the long(er) haul to SFO and then the quick hop down to PHX. If you're in a premium economy seat, it makes the trip more bearable.

If you're set on coach, then I'd still probably go for the UA routing and pay a little more for Economy Plus on UA and/or an exit row with the superior leg room.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
deleted

Last edited by aztimm; Jun 30, 2022 at 9:09 am
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
Do you have status on any alliance? Are you/will you be close to having any status? With a trip like this, it would be a shame to just throw away those miles/LP.

Along with AA and UA, I'd also consider BA. There are discounts with AARP (there are no age restrictions to join) and if you have the BA Chase Visa card (you don't necessarily need to use it to buy to get the discount). Those discounts can be stacked.
Both the AARP discount and the Chase/BA Visa card discount only apply to roundtrip travel originating in the U.S. So no help for someone originating in ZRH (whether traveling one way or roundtrip).
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Along with AA and UA, I'd also consider BA. There are discounts with AARP (there are no age restrictions to join) and if you have the BA Chase Visa card (you don't necessarily need to use it to buy to get the discount).
No, those discounts are for round trips originating in the US, whereas OP seems to be originating in ZRH.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I strongly prefer taking a long and short flight rather than two longish ones.

Otherwise, the two are much of a muchness, with neither treating non-elites with any form of respect.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
All other things being equal I would fly UA so I could enjoy soup at SFO Soup Company. When I used to live in PHX I would connect at SFO to get this soup sometimes rather than fly nonstop from phx to my destination.
757FO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.