Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade with miles DFW-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage
Upgrade with miles DFW-LHR

If I upgrade using 25k miles and $350 from Main Cabin for a DFW to LHR flight (AA 80 - Boeing 777-300ER) - where the available purchased business ticket is "Flagship Business" - should I expect an upgrade to a "Flagship Business" ticket.
After doing this my itinerary just states "Business" - so I'm not sure if I get access to the Flagship lounge at DFW?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:01 am

You will get FSL access if you are confirmed in Business and have a Business BP

Originally Posted by robbymc
If I upgrade using 25k miles and $350 from Main Cabin for a DFW to LHR flight (AA 80 - Boeing 777-300ER) - where the available purchased business ticket is "Flagship Business" - should I expect an upgrade to a "Flagship Business" ticket.
After doing this my itinerary just states "Business" - so I'm not sure if I get access to the Flagship lounge at DFW?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, business class on any AA longhaul flight to Europe, deep South America, and Asia/Pacific = Flagship Business, regardless of whether the aa.com search results or e-ticket receipt or anything else specifically call out Flagship or not.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wish they would drop that silly and misrepresentative word “flagship”. Hell they dropped “luxury liner” years ago they can drop this.
BlooJoo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I wish they would drop that silly and misrepresentative word “flagship”. Hell they dropped “luxury liner” years ago they can drop this.
They need a way to differentiate between long haul business and business on a flight to, say, Mexico.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They need a way to differentiate between long haul business and business on a flight to, say, Mexico.
"Club Americas Business"
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Why? Most other airlines don't seem to find a need to do so on a booking page
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
There needs to be a Flagship for the Admiral to command. Personally I've always liked these nautical names. At some outstations, gate personnel still refer to aircraft as "ships".
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by vasantn
At some outstations, gate personnel still refer to aircraft as "ships".
Or BIRD! **tingle**
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why? Most other airlines don't seem to find a need to do so on a booking page
DL absolutely does. DeltaOne is a different column and/or label from First/Business. Not sure if UA does the same with Polaris.
I always thought these marketing names were gimmicky, but they can be helpful at defining what the actual product/service being sold is.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
DL absolutely does. DeltaOne is a different column and/or label from First/Business. Not sure if UA does the same with Polaris.
I always thought these marketing names were gimmicky, but they can be helpful at defining what the actual product/service being sold is.
It's a US airline thing (and BA). On LH, for instance, "Business" applies to long haul flat bed or a Y seat with blocked middle.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get that AA has to call their premium business class something clever to compete with DL and UA, but AA's problem is that the 'Flagship' crap is applied so inconsistently that they've just made things way more confusing than they need be.

Sometimes aa.com search results say Flagship and other times they won't (for the exact same flight), sometimes the rules for services like lounge access say you must be on a flight marketed as Flagship and other times they don't, and of course even if you do buy a Flagship flight the words Flagship are nowhere to be found on your email/e-ticket receipt or looking at your reservation at aa.com.

It's no wonder that we receive questions just like the OP's on a semi-regular basis about whether this flight or that flight is considered Flagship and whether it counts for lounge access, etc.
Geordie405, MarkY123 and scoonee like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The 1st 4 airlines that I checked - QF, NZ, AY and SQ - all just say business
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I get that AA has to call their premium business class something clever to compete with DL and UA, but AA's problem is that the 'Flagship' crap is applied so inconsistently that they've just made things way more confusing than they need be.

Sometimes aa.com search results say Flagship and other times they won't (for the exact same flight), sometimes the rules for services like lounge access say you must be on a flight marketed as Flagship and other times they don't, and of course even if you do buy a Flagship flight the words Flagship are nowhere to be found on your email/e-ticket receipt or looking at your reservation at aa.com.

It's no wonder that we receive questions just like the OP's on a semi-regular basis about whether this flight or that flight is considered Flagship and whether it counts for lounge access, etc.
What Flagship branded flight doesn't allow lounge access for J or F?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
What Flagship branded flight doesn't allow lounge access for J or F?
Any AA longhaul business class to Europe, deep SA, Asia/Pacific (and Hawaii now too I guess) is considered 'Flagship' and of course comes with Flagship Lounge access. But AA's marketing of 'Flagship' is terrible:
  • Search aa.com for JFK-LHR in business and "Flagship Business" is clearly displayed on the AA metal options
  • But search for JFK-CDG and Flagship Business is displayed for the AA metal nonstop, but not for JFK-LHR-CDG on the exact same JFK-LHR flight as above. I guess I get Flagship if I fly nonstop but not if I connect through London.
  • Regardless of which flight I book, Flagship Business is nowhere to be found now on my email e-ticket receipt or looking at my reservation at aa.com.
  • I go to the aa.com FL page to see what lounge I can use, crap, aa.com says FL access only for "Flights with Seats Ticketed as Flagship between..." I bought JFK-LHR-CDG, I guess I can't use the FL.
  • Or in the case of the OP you upgrade DFW-LHR to business and again Flagship isn't displayed anywhere but the rules say you must have a seat ticketed as Flagship to access the FL...

It's confusing and inconsistent but 100% par for the course with AA and aa.com marketing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.