AA DFW-LHR flight delays

Old Jun 21, 22, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
AA DFW-LHR flight delays

So after my tranquil visit to the DFW FL last night I mosey over to gate 27 to fly AA 78 to LHR (about 30 minutes prior to departure). Knowing this flight doesn't have a good track record I was anxious and as I got closer to the gate I knew why....people were de-boarding. . The gate agent, mr happy, tells me there is a "tiny, tiny hole in the airplane. We are having an engineer coming over to look at it. He will probably apply this super tape that is good for 600 mph". Not having the strength, energy, or will power to even roll my eyes at this clown I just walk away and sit as the rolling delays start. By 1 am the gate agent says "please move to D23. There is a new plane and it's smaller so some of you will not be going to London tonight".
I see my 4J is still valid and anxiously look for a window but there are NO windows anywhere around D23 so I have no idea if it's a 772, 788, 789, or a 321 with drop tanks. We all walk down and wait for 10 minutes then everyone's text goes off saying new departure 7 am. LOL I had already been looking at options on EF and saw C space on tomorrow's (well tonight's) flights.
As I'm walking out the terminal I get immediately connected to an EXP agent. I thought I must be dreaming or at the very least back in 2016. Anyway I requested the 7.25 PM flight on BA but they wouldn't do it (our systems don't talk to each other) and settled for flight 80 with a crappy middle J seat and lost my 24 hours to pre-order.
As today rolls around I look at the flight history of 80. Not good actually and not feeling good already.
When you're only visiting your mom for a week just one day cut from my vacation is a lot.
I hope AA can get it right tonight.
I'm scarily reminded of my MXP flight in February but that was weather. I hope 2nd time is the charm tonight.
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Sounds to me like the gate agent had a good sense of humor.
xyzvlad and DrinkSlinger like this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:44 am

That's frustrating -- good luck, @enviroian
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Sounds to me like the gate agent had a good sense of humor.
I'm not laughing at 1 am in the morning after 2 hours of rolling delay.
Old Jun 21, 22, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Is there a reason you didn't get on your delayed flight? It left DFW at about 8:30am, and it is due to arrive at LHR at 11:17pm.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL78
Old Jun 21, 22, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Is there a reason you didn't get on your delayed flight? It left DFW at about 8:30am, and it is due to arrive at LHR at 11:17pm.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL78
With no trains running and my car service not available when arriving around midnight there is no way I'm taking the flight that left this morning.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
With no trains running and my car service not available when arriving around midnight there is no way I'm taking the flight that left this morning.
Looks like the Tube runs until midnight. I'd have gone and stayed somewhere close to LHR, just to get there, then gone into town or wherever the next morning.

Is your ticket paid biz, or did you use an upgrade instrument? That might make a difference on why they won't put you on BA, although it could just be the person you spoke with.

Good luck with your flight tonight.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like the Tube runs until midnight. I'd have gone and stayed somewhere close to LHR, just to get there, then gone into town or wherever the next morning.

Is your ticket paid biz, or did you use an upgrade instrument? That might make a difference on why they won't put you on BA, although it could just be the person you spoke with.

YMMV of course with just arriving there. I just don't want to jack around with LHR at midnight let alone take the tube into the city for an overly expensive hotel for 5 hours.

Anyway yes SWU on Y fare and realize why they wouldn't put me on BA but I had nothing to lose by asking. I know it kills AA to have to open their wallet but I tried and got stumped.
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:07 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

The tube is on strike as well today. I think that he did the right thing as getting from LHR must be a nightmare today and it is highly likely that there are few hotels to be had around Heathrow
BearX220, wrp96, ryanbriar and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
The tube is on strike as well today. I think that he did the right thing as getting from LHR must be a nightmare today and it is highly likely that there are few hotels to be had around Heathrow
Oh wow, that's not pleasant, especially if that heat wave is still going on in London. I was there once when there was a strike, and the tube lines that were open were so busy that we were packed in like sardines.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Oh, boy. That does not sound like fun at all. I know what you mean about having a week to spend with your mother, so one day taken from that vacation hurts. I am so sorry. Especially with all the messiness going on in London right now, traveling there is difficult enough. Anything that adds to the stress is just . . . Ugh. Thinking of you.
Old Jun 21, 22, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors SWA Hertz
Sounds to me like the gate agent is a clown.
Old Jun 21, 22, 1:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
....so I have no idea if it's a 772, 788, 789, or a 321 with drop tanks.
Don't be going and giving AA any new ideas on how to enhance the customer experience any more - they do a fine and dandy job of that without our help.
enviroian, wrp96, ysolde and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jtav559 View Post
Don't be going and giving AA any new ideas on how to enhance the customer experience any more - they do a fine and dandy job of that without our help.
I was waiting for someone to appreciate my 321 with drop tanks joke.

Old Jun 21, 22, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Find it hard to believe that AA couldn't rebook you on BA, their OW partner and one of two partner airlines you can do mileage+copay upgrades on, when your flight get canceled yet AA was able to put me on a UA (different alliance with no joint venture) flight when I was going to misconnect due to a delay.
asnovici and LowValueCustomer like this.

Search this Thread