Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ending all service to ISP (Long Island-Islip) and ITH (Ithaca, NY)

AA ending all service to ISP (Long Island-Islip) and ITH (Ithaca, NY)

Old Jun 23, 22, 10:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by jamabam View Post
This is pretty disappointing news. I have a couple of ITH trips already booked for the fall. What normally happens in this case, will they flat out cancel and refund or will I be able to choose any alternative flights in nearby airports? I haven't received cancel/change notifications yet, will that happen automatically or is it better to call now before seats start vanishing?
AA should allow for changing to any AA airport within a 300-mile radius without refare once your reservation reflects the flights being removed from schedule.
jamabam likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:37 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by kochleffel View Post
The UA service at ITH is with a CRJ-550, that is, a CRJ-700 with many more premium seats. I'm not sure whether that's a great fit for the Ithaca market. I suppose that Cornell and IC faculty might be willing to pay for the seats; maybe students aren't a major share of the passengers.
Right. Other than start/end of semester times, students and family demand for air travel is probably minimal.
The busiest time is probably around commencement in May when hotels are at capacity with parents and family attending the celebrations.

I am not sure if faculty travels that much.
I know there are several bio techs, consulting and start ups that are Ithaca based and are probably the ones flying in and out of Ithaca on a regular basis.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
(Deleted.)

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 23, 22 at 5:28 pm
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by george 3 View Post
Your logistics are spot on but this is a hassle especially if you have luggage. You would almost be better taking the LIRR to Woodside and then taking Uber / Lyft to LGA.
While I would not recommend public transportation for someone traveling with bulky luggage, for someone with carry-on only, I don't see why the LIRR to Woodside to the (now free) Q70 would be any more of a hassle than the LIRR to Jamaica to the JFK AirTrain.
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
While I would not recommend public transportation for someone traveling with bulky luggage, for someone with carry-on only, I don't see why the LIRR to Woodside to the (now free) Q70 would be any more of a hassle than the LIRR to Jamaica to the JFK AirTrain.
I think it's a matter of personal preference - the difference between the AirTrain and the bus is the former has no traffic issues and the bus can be an issue. There is generally less crowding on the AirTrain.
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by george 3 View Post
I think it's a matter of personal preference - the difference between the AirTrain and the bus is the former has no traffic issues and the bus can be an issue. There is generally less crowding on the AirTrain.
Are buses in NY and Queens ever crowded? Not IME.
Subway, yes.
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Are buses in NY and Queens ever crowded? Not IME.
Subway, yes.
The Q70 (and M60 for that matter) absolutely do get crowded, especially if it's a bit of a delay since the previous bus. Unfortunately my experience is that the Q70 headways are never consistent per the schedule, which is every 8-10 minutes for most of the day. Last time I tried to take the Q70 from Woodside (I was on a <7> and the next (7) was 7+ minutes away), I waited over 15 minutes, and I'm convinced a bus was behind schedule and just skipped that pickup and went straight to Jackson Heights.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kochleffel View Post
The UA service at ITH is with a CRJ-550, that is, a CRJ-700 with many more premium seats. I'm not sure whether that's a great fit for the Ithaca market. I suppose that Cornell and IC faculty might be willing to pay for the seats; maybe students aren't a major share of the passengers.
I would expect many Cornell faculty to travel a lot, Ithaca College not so much. Cornell faculty would generally be unable to have premium cabin tickets reimbursed, but many would have elite status for upgrades.

Search this Thread