Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ending all service to ISP (Long Island-Islip) and ITH (Ithaca, NY)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ending all service to ISP (Long Island-Islip) and ITH (Ithaca, NY)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamabam
This is pretty disappointing news. I have a couple of ITH trips already booked for the fall. What normally happens in this case, will they flat out cancel and refund or will I be able to choose any alternative flights in nearby airports? I haven't received cancel/change notifications yet, will that happen automatically or is it better to call now before seats start vanishing?
AA should allow for changing to any AA airport within a 300-mile radius without refare once your reservation reflects the flights being removed from schedule.
jamabam likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by kochleffel
The UA service at ITH is with a CRJ-550, that is, a CRJ-700 with many more premium seats. I'm not sure whether that's a great fit for the Ithaca market. I suppose that Cornell and IC faculty might be willing to pay for the seats; maybe students aren't a major share of the passengers.
Right. Other than start/end of semester times, students and family demand for air travel is probably minimal.
The busiest time is probably around commencement in May when hotels are at capacity with parents and family attending the celebrations.

I am not sure if faculty travels that much.
I know there are several bio techs, consulting and start ups that are Ithaca based and are probably the ones flying in and out of Ithaca on a regular basis.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
(Deleted.)

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 23, 2022 at 5:28 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by george 3
Your logistics are spot on but this is a hassle especially if you have luggage. You would almost be better taking the LIRR to Woodside and then taking Uber / Lyft to LGA.
While I would not recommend public transportation for someone traveling with bulky luggage, for someone with carry-on only, I don't see why the LIRR to Woodside to the (now free) Q70 would be any more of a hassle than the LIRR to Jamaica to the JFK AirTrain.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by guv1976
While I would not recommend public transportation for someone traveling with bulky luggage, for someone with carry-on only, I don't see why the LIRR to Woodside to the (now free) Q70 would be any more of a hassle than the LIRR to Jamaica to the JFK AirTrain.
I think it's a matter of personal preference - the difference between the AirTrain and the bus is the former has no traffic issues and the bus can be an issue. There is generally less crowding on the AirTrain.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by george 3
I think it's a matter of personal preference - the difference between the AirTrain and the bus is the former has no traffic issues and the bus can be an issue. There is generally less crowding on the AirTrain.
Are buses in NY and Queens ever crowded? Not IME.
Subway, yes.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Are buses in NY and Queens ever crowded? Not IME.
Subway, yes.
The Q70 (and M60 for that matter) absolutely do get crowded, especially if it's a bit of a delay since the previous bus. Unfortunately my experience is that the Q70 headways are never consistent per the schedule, which is every 8-10 minutes for most of the day. Last time I tried to take the Q70 from Woodside (I was on a <7> and the next (7) was 7+ minutes away), I waited over 15 minutes, and I'm convinced a bus was behind schedule and just skipped that pickup and went straight to Jackson Heights.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kochleffel
The UA service at ITH is with a CRJ-550, that is, a CRJ-700 with many more premium seats. I'm not sure whether that's a great fit for the Ithaca market. I suppose that Cornell and IC faculty might be willing to pay for the seats; maybe students aren't a major share of the passengers.
I would expect many Cornell faculty to travel a lot, Ithaca College not so much. Cornell faculty would generally be unable to have premium cabin tickets reimbursed, but many would have elite status for upgrades.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Funnily enough this is the second time AA has ended service from ISP. In addition to the former US route to PHL they're now dropping they used to fly ISP-BOS in the 2000s and dropped it in 2005-2006 or so.

I can't say I'm surprised by this. Once they retired the Dash 8s and CRJ-200s this might have been inevitable.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:54 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I wonder if AA has considered the direct bus option from ISP to LGA and/or JFK as they have for other markets like ACY-PHL.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, Starwood / Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Dubuque DBQ is being cut also.
Yeah this is a big disappointment. CID is 3 hours away. Maybe SY will take advantage and add a route.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I was up in the Finger Lakes area for a swim event a few weeks ago. Since I was from further away, almost everyone (who didn't know my plans) asked me how I got there. I have family in northeast PA, so I flew to AVP, did some visiting, then drove up with my sister and brother-in-law.

The event organizer lives near Watkins Glen, and I mentioned how AA was pulling out of ITH; she and several others commented how they would miss those flights. They said they would probably use SYR after that (they weren't confident that UA will remain, and that the prices will be competitive). They did mention that DL still flies to ELM, but the prices are ridiculous. They asked me how far it was from AVP, and the 2 hour commute didn't really interest them. There is sometimes a touch of traffic on I-81 through Scranton in that area too (although compared with elsewhere it is just a blip).

It had been a while since I had flown to AVP, and I must say it was so much easier than ABE or PHL, and the price wasn't bad either. AA has upgaged service between AVP and CLT; my flight was supposed to be an A319, but ended up on an A320 (and the agents said they sometimes see A321s). The agents were excited, as this year is the first time in over 20 years that AA (or US) has had scheduled mainline service from AVP. Now if only they would add a DFW-AVP flight I'd be a happy camper (I'm sure right after the LIT-NRT flight gets scheduled).
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
Now if only they would add a DFW-AVP flight I'd be a happy camper (I'm sure right after the LIT-NRT flight gets scheduled).
AA now has a DFW-SYR nonstop. SYR is just over a two-hour drive to Scranton. (About the same distance as EWR to Scranton.)

And I'm putting my money on XNA-NRT before LIT-NRT.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by guv1976
AA now has a DFW-SYR nonstop. SYR is just over a two-hour drive to Scranton. (About the same distance as EWR to Scranton.)

And I'm putting my money on XNA-NRT before LIT-NRT.
Wow, that's handy to know. I probably wouldn't purposely book it, but in case of IRROPS... Looks like DFW-SYR is only 1x daily, 7pm-11:14pm, return the next morning, 7am-9:30am.

From where I live, it is far easier for me to get to GRK, but there are only flights to DFW. I'd rather not double-connect, at least for a domestic trip, so I'll brave AUS to ORD/PHL/CLT for the 1-stop to AVP. But maybe DFW-AVP isn't as far-fetched as I thought.

When AA is out of ITH, perhaps things may look up at some other area airports.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by aztimm
The event organizer lives near Watkins Glen, and I mentioned how AA was pulling out of ITH; she and several others commented how they would miss those flights. They said they would probably use SYR after that (they weren't confident that UA will remain, and that the prices will be competitive).
If ITH goes down to 1 airline, that's quite a sad lesson to the state on overinvesting in airports. ITH just got a huge renovation. SYR feels underutilized too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.