Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ending all service to ISP (Long Island-Islip) and ITH (Ithaca, NY)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ending all service to ISP (Long Island-Islip) and ITH (Ithaca, NY)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for the update on the Q70 fare. It could be a PITA to get the fare ticket, particularly when getting the bus at LGA. On more than one occasion I had the bus pull from the stop as I was getting my ticket from the kiosk.

Next time I’m traveling with just a backpack I may give the Q70 another chance. The new Central Terminal is stunning and would like to see it again. Have they resolved the employee parking situation at LGA or are they still jammed onto the bus?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:58 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
DBQ gone also

Dubuque DBQ is being cut also.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by EXP100
I have to wonder once all the E145 go away if SBY will survive. The home of the original Henson Aviation acquired by Alleghany and a 145 maintenance base for years.
The maintenance base and the fact that Piedmont is HQ'd there is likely enough to keep that around.

Also, while not the biggest area, Salisbury is still a two hour drive to BWI and 2:20 to PHL. ISP is 40 minutes to JFK and 50 to LGA (granted, on a good traffic day) and does have public transit options. Likewise, Ithaca is an hour to SYR.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I have to wonder once all the E145 go away if SBY will survive. The home of the original Henson Aviation acquired by Alleghany and a 145 maintenance base for years.
Are these cuts coming about because of a phase-out of the E145? AA dropped ELM on the grounds that it was discontinuing use of the Dash-8, but upgraded ITH to the E145. The Dash-8 flights from ELM were always full, and I seem to remember that the break-even point for a Dash-8 was less than 50% occupancy.

The E145 question is particularly in my mind right now because one alternative for my MSY trip would be to fly from ROC -- but that's also E145 service into PHL.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: USA UAL DAL
For ITH, JFK isn't much longer a drive than EWR or PHL, and YYZ is not much farther (if at all, depending on what side of which lake you're coming from).
ELM is our closest airport and ITH is almost as close. When we relocated to the area I just assumed that ELM was private/corporate and National Guard only - I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong! Not so many years ago ELM was served by DL, UA, AA and G4 (now DL and G4 only).
Conveniently nothing ticketed with ITH at the moment so don't have to worry about changes to existing itineraries. Well, not about changes due to ITH getting dropped - there will be changes, right?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by babystepper
For ITH, JFK isn't much longer a drive than EWR or PHL, and YYZ is not much farther (if at all, depending on what side of which lake you're coming from).
ELM is our closest airport and ITH is almost as close. When we relocated to the area I just assumed that ELM was private/corporate and National Guard only - I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong! Not so many years ago ELM was served by DL, UA, AA and G4 (now DL and G4 only).
Conveniently nothing ticketed with ITH at the moment so don't have to worry about changes to existing itineraries. Well, not about changes due to ITH getting dropped - there will be changes, right?
In the olden days, Allegheny/US served both ELM and ITH from PIT with mainline jets, in a triangle route (PIT-ELM-ITH).

To my mind, JFK is a harder drive than EWR even if it isn't much farther, and YYZ even more so because of the complicated route from Elmira to Buffalo. The other consideration is that, for an international flight, you're probably arriving in the metro area during the afternoon rush hour. I have Nexus so the border crossing isn't much of an issue, and the Peace Bridge usually isn't congested in the middle of the day; I should think more about flying from YYZ.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Deleted
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Are these cuts coming about because of a phase-out of the E145? AA dropped ELM on the grounds that it was discontinuing use of the Dash-8, but upgraded ITH to the E145. The Dash-8 flights from ELM were always full, and I seem to remember that the break-even point for a Dash-8 was less than 50% occupancy.

The E145 question is particularly in my mind right now because one alternative for my MSY trip would be to fly from ROC -- but that's also E145 service into PHL.
Routes are being cut due to a combination of staffing shortages and operational costs. With fuel prices where they are the E145 becomes a very expensive plane to operate. Add to that airlines like G6 coming in and grabbing leisure travels heading south and the legacy carriers don't have a viable path to profitability on these thin feeder routes.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kochleffel
In the olden days, Allegheny/US served both ELM and ITH from PIT with mainline jets, in a triangle route (PIT-ELM-ITH).
At one point, it was AL408/409, IIRC.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Damn! There goes my chance of doing an Ivy League colleage mileage run on AA :-(

Cornell ITH
Dartmouth LEB
Harvard BOS
Brown PVD
Yale BDL
Columbia LGA
Princeton EWR
Penn PHL
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by salut0
Damn! There goes my chance of doing an Ivy League colleage mileage run on AA :-(

Cornell ITH
Dartmouth LEB
Harvard BOS
Brown PVD
Yale BDL
Columbia LGA
Princeton EWR
Penn PHL
Alas, while LEB was once served by US Airways Express, that service ended long ago. (I don't think that AA ever served LEB.)
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by guv1976
Alas, while LEB was once served by US Airways Express, that service ended long ago. (I don't think that AA ever served LEB.)
Yes, LEB was legendary! Never been and always wondered what it was like since I missed this opportunity several years ago:

FARE GONE! - US: LEB (Lebanon, NH) to just about anywhere USA Fares - $2-$22
guv1976 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:58 pm

AA City Cuts

Just how many cities will AA be cutting from their network? It sounds like these could be some very deep cuts across the country. Also, are nonstop destinations from ORD going to start drying up soon? I ask that because it seems like that’s where things seem to be headed these days. I feel like the Chicago nonstop destination offerings across both of Chicago’s airports could be dwindling significantly in the near future considering so many of these destinations are served by regional jets, which are being phased out and have no replacement whatsoever.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nwt0
Just how many cities will AA be cutting from their network? It sounds like these could be some very deep cuts across the country. Also, are nonstop destinations from ORD going to start drying up soon? I ask that because it seems like that’s where things seem to be headed these days. I feel like the Chicago nonstop destination offerings across both of Chicago’s airports could be dwindling significantly in the near future considering so many of these destinations are served by regional jets, which are being phased out and have no replacement whatsoever.
Regional Jets are not going away. Americans regional jet partners are buying new CRJ900s and ERJ 175s. What will be going away are the 50 seat ERJ145s. These are just getting too expensive to run with the increased cost of pilots and fuel and most are 20 years old or more. Look for cities that are primarily ERJ145s destinations to be axed next. There are a bunch of these across the PHL, CLT, ORD, and DFW hubs
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Given how a bulk of the flights from ISP are to Florida, I've always been surprised that AA could not make ISP/CLT work.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Did they ever try? I only remember ISP-PHL flights in recent years. That said, unless you can fly nonstop from ISP, you're just better off flying into JFK/LGA and driving, as it will probably be cheaper and faster than making a connection.
Originally Posted by Disarray
No, they never tried. AA inherited the ISP -> PHL from UsAir. I had heard rumblings of a flight from ISP to CLT or RDU from people who claimed inside information but nothing materialized.
US certainly operated ISP-CLT in the past (definitely into the 1990s, and perhaps into the 2000s although the route was discontinued well before the merger). It was one of the first flights I ever took as a young boy. AA also flew mainline ISP-RDU - well before the days of Southwest's sizeable presence at ISP.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.