Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Mileage Awards Doubled In Price(?!)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:46 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Except for all the business saver fares to Europe for 57.5k miles and to Asia for 60k.

This works out well though. You keep complaining that they are worthless, and I'll keep redeeming for long haul business class travel at saver rates.
You make it sound like AA pesos are valuable.

Please help the OP out and suggest a bookable reward redemption at a good price in July or pre August 15 for Rio, Boston, or NYC.

No, you don't get to choose October for the trip.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmw
You make it sound like AA pesos are valuable.

Please help the OP out and suggest a bookable reward redemption at a good price in July or pre August 15 for Rio, Boston, or NYC.

No, you don't get to choose October for the trip.
No, you don't get to try to book a trip at peak travel time a couple of weeks before departure and then compain that the miles are worthless because there's no saver space left.

The problem is not that the miles are worthless, the problem is that the request is unreasonable.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:01 pm

I have had some success finding reasonably priced (i.e., consistent with what used to be normal pricing) fares using AA miles, but only if planning far ahead (e.g., Thanksgiving) or if waiting until 0-2 days before traveling. Probably not that easy for a family to go on vacation with 3 hours notice, but that seems to be the only way to fly someplace without selling an organ this summer.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlc201
I have had some success finding reasonably priced (i.e., consistent with what used to be normal pricing) fares using AA miles, but only if planning far ahead (e.g., Thanksgiving) or if waiting until 0-2 days before traveling. Probably not that easy for a family to go on vacation with 3 hours notice, but that seems to be the only way to fly someplace without selling an organ this summer.
Or book your summer vacation before summer arrives?

It's summer. It is now too late to be booking summer travel using miles. It's probably too late to be booking using cash too. The time to book this was February or March, maybe April. That's not exactly "far ahead", especially for award travel.
EXP100 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:27 pm

1. OP opens rant thread.
2. OP gets informed advice/explanations relevant to their issue.
3. OP ignores said advice/explanations and continues the "woe-is-me" tack.
4. As they are wont to do, FTers begin to ignore the OPs original complaint and delve tangentially into the metaphysics of award availability.

That's entertainment!
moondog, GaryZ, slpybear and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 3:44 pm

I've been traveling to Brazil annually for 10 years. Never had a problem locking down reasonable Biz class redemptions(57K +/-) before dynamic pricing began. I begin looking around 8 months in advance because I typically visit during Feb. The last 2 years have been brutal. I was lucky enough to find an outbound flight for 71K but that 'Web Special" rate on return flights(DCA) has dried up. Nothing for less than 115K now, deep into next year. Alaska, BA and JAL partner awards are NON existent. The good old days are def gone....

Last edited by Oprime; Jun 18, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oprime
Alaska, BA and JAL partner awards are NON existent. The good old days are def gone....
The fact that you type NON in all caps doesn't make you right.

I'm in the middle of booking a JL business class award now.
moondog likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The fact that you type NON in all caps doesn't make you right.

I'm in the middle of booking a JL business class award now.
Thats awesome.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Oprime
JAL partner awards are NON existent. The good old days are def gone....
15/11 has 1st class LHR-HND
14/11 has business class HEL-HND and CDG-HND
12+13/11 have premium economy CDG-HND HEL-HND
11/11 has FRA-NRT in business class

Not sure how that equates to NON existent
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
15/11 has 1st class LHR-HND
14/11 has business class HEL-HND and CDG-HND
12+13/11 have premium economy CDG-HND HEL-HND
11/11 has FRA-NRT in business class

Not sure how that equates to NON existent
I just held a DFW-HND round trip in J. Just need to call the EXP desk to add the domestic segments (saver F space is available but it won't show it on the website) and then I can ticket it.

Sure glad I was able to use my worthless miles to book non-existent space...
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:56 pm

On May 27, I redeemed an award ticket one way MSY-DUB for 30k miles flying May 29 in economy.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by drazin
there are zero flights available to be booked at any price via partners BA for American and Air Canada for United like there used to be (had to search multiple days, but you could find them—now nothing).
To me this is as annoying as the increasing cost of flights booked with AA miles, although I appreciate many people won't have BA or AC miles to spend (and I only do because of previously canceled flights that I'd booked with those currencies). I will occasionally find a UA flight available via AC (PVR-LAX in Y last November being the most recent...) but I can't remember the last time I saw an AA flight bookable with points via BA.

The most annoying situation was the other day, however, when my wife and I between us had just enough miles for an award booking, I bit the bullet and paid to transfer just enough from my account to hers, only to find once I'd booked my ticket the price went up by 1,000 miles.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by merlin90
To me this is as annoying as the increasing cost of flights booked with AA miles, although I appreciate many people won't have BA or AC miles to spend (and I only do because of previously canceled flights that I'd booked with those currencies). I will occasionally find a UA flight available via AC (PVR-LAX in Y last November being the most recent...) but I can't remember the last time I saw an AA flight bookable with points via BA.

The most annoying situation was the other day, however, when my wife and I between us had just enough miles for an award booking, I bit the bullet and paid to transfer just enough from my account to hers, only to find once I'd booked my ticket the price went up by 1,000 miles.

get on the shopping portal And get to buying lol
EqualOpp and VegasGambler like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Dropping in to be that annoying guy that says everyone in this thread is right: AA awards are being devalued overall in recent months/years, and are particularly brutal right now even factoring in seasonality, etc.; and at the same time, it's also true that there are awards out there for those of us obsessive enough to find them (which takes more OCD than it used to). Now that I've hopefully peeved everyone off... have a great evening all, and enjoy the holiday weekend!
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by merlin90

I think that happens a lot with web special awards. I booked an award ticket for 8500 miles, and the price immediately went up to 9500. Then I booked my friend on the same flight and the price immediately went up to 10500.

I also noticed (when the price was 8500) that booking for 2 was 18k (9000 each). So they don't charge the higher cost for both; they average them.

If you want to see if the price of a web special will go up after booking a ticket, check the price of 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.