Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change fees reinstated in some markets from June 8, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp

Was told twice today that AA reinstated change fees in some markets starting on June 8 and that it is now posted on the website, but I can't find it anywhere. Either way, it would have been nice for the agent to tell me there was a change fee added before she cancelled my previous itinerary. Worth noting my itinerary involves a leg on BA metal.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Was told twice today that AA reinstated change fees in some markets starting on June 8 and that it is now posted on the website, but I can't find it anywhere. Either way, it would have been nice for the agent to tell me there was a change fee added before she cancelled my previous itinerary. Worth noting my itinerary involves a leg on BA metal.
By whom? I can't find any reference to this. Was the BA leg marketed as AA or BA? And from where were you originating?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
By whom? I can't find any reference to this. Was the BA leg marketed as AA or BA?
Two separate AA phone agents, presumably on the platinum pro line. Itinerary wholly booked through AA, the BA leg is AA6999 from PHX-LHR.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
And you're originating in North or South America and aren't on a Basic Economy fare?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Correct, originating in North America and am on a Business fare outbound, economy return: SMF-PHX-LHR in business, LHR-JFK-MIA-GCM in economy. Previous itinerary was MIA-LHR in premium economy, same return.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
British Airways ended their book with confidence policy for tickets booked after 7JUN22; normal change fees apply after that date. Does the AA no change fee when originating in NA and SA only apply on AA operated flights?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
British Airways ended their book with confidence policy for tickets booked after 7JUN22; normal change fees apply after that date. Does the AA no change fee when originating in NA and SA only apply on AA operated flights?
EF is showing them on AA ex-UK fares starting on June 8th (50 GBP for Main/PE, 300 GBP for Business on non-refundable fares), but not on ex-US fares. You can do backdating ticketing issue date searches on EF to see when they were first added to fare rules. They are not specific to operating metal. One-way ex-US or roundtrip ex-US bookings would not be subject to change fees.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 13, 2022 at 8:54 pm
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Correct, originating in North America and am on a Business fare outbound, economy return: SMF-PHX-LHR in business, LHR-JFK-MIA-GCM in economy. Previous itinerary was MIA-LHR in premium economy, same return.
I'm guessing the issue is the LHR-GCM flight making ex-UK fare rules apply since you are not returning to the US/Canada.
ijgordon and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by dls25
I'm guessing the issue is the LHR-GCM flight making ex-UK fare rules apply since you are not returning to the US/Canada.
That makes sense as the most restrictive fare rules apply when applying multiple fare basis codes on one ticket. You probably have two one way fares on your ticket, and the fare rules for the LHR-GCM one way likely has a change fee. Check the fare rules of all the fare basis codes and see if any have a change fee.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Did you purchase this ticket after June 8th?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:12 am

VFTW has the (relatively sparse) "details" on this: https://viewfromthewing.com/american...ional-tickets/

Looks like they brought back change fees for (some? all? who knows) itineraries originating abroad.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
VFTW has the (relatively sparse) "details" on this: https://viewfromthewing.com/american...ional-tickets/

Looks like they brought back change fees for (some? all? who knows) itineraries originating abroad.
Change fees can be found in the fare rules (Penalties section). Not showing change fees on AA ex-Japan fares. ex-Australia showing $225 for coach fares and $400 for business effective July 1. ex-Singapore is interesting as coach is $275 and business class fare changes are $100.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:40 am

Sadly, the beginning of the end for the speculative travel planning party. 😢

Probably only a matter of time before Award Fees.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
Did you purchase this ticket after June 8th?
The original ticket, no*, it was purchased on June 2. Yesterday was when I called and made the "change", though it looks like they technically cancelled the original itinerary and purchased the new one that I'd held.

Given the current flight credit rules, could I have cancelled online and then used the credit to buy the new itinerary without the change fee?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't have had to do it online. They shouldn't have charged a change fee for changing a fare issued before June 8th as they were not in the fare rules for those fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.