Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Weren't we able to change the reservation name at one point?

Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton

Used to be I could go change the reservation from JFK-LAX to SOCAL or anything we wanted.

No more?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
No more for quite some time now.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Been absent for a few years now.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Must be that people abused it. Like they try and do with license plates.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

not sure what there is to abuse. changing the display name on the website only changed the display name - the record locator never changed
_kurt, ZenFlyer and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The ability was there...
...then it wasn't: AA.com "reservation name"—no longer can change it & workaround
...then it was again: Changing reservation name on aa.com returns 8 Mar 2017
...then it wasn't again: Change trip name... and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...pp-online.html

...which is where we are now. No changing trip names.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
not sure what there is to abuse. changing the display name on the website only changed the display name - the record locator never changed
i just mean people being crass. “JFEGGF” being converted to offensive words. I mean, there’s a snowflake somewhere that might get offended lol
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
The ability was there...
...then it wasn't: AA.com "reservation name"—no longer can change it & workaround
...then it was again: Changing reservation name on aa.com returns 8 Mar 2017
...then it wasn't again: Change trip name... and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...pp-online.html

...which is where we are now. No changing trip names.
I find that when connections are involved the trip name is not even consistent. I'm flying PHX-DFW-ICN and when I'm pulling up my trips it's labeled as PHX-DFW but when I pull up the trip on the web page (desktop version) it shows the trip name as PHX-ICN.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by the phoenix
i just mean people being crass. “JFEGGF” being converted to offensive words. I mean, there’s a snowflake somewhere that might get offended lol
The only person that would see it would be the person whose account it was and unlikely to offend him or herself. I would suspect that AA just didn't feel a need to maintain that function rather than that
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:38 pm

I finally got sick of this and wrote a greasemonkey script to replace the useless reservation name with the record locator. Since I'm new, I can't seem to post the link to the script, but here's the code. Someone with more reputation can link to domain=pastes.io/, path = raw/ohreaytel8#.user.js, which would allow someone with greasemonkey (firefox, where I tested) or tampermonkey (chrome, untested) to use it.
Spoiler

Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The only person that would see it would be the person whose account it was and unlikely to offend him or herself. I would suspect that AA just didn't feel a need to maintain that function rather than that
This. It isn't like the pretty name shows up anywhere or prints on your luggage tag.

I used to put inside jokes in them. They'd be meaningless and harmless to anyone who saw them (not that they would) but would give me a chuckle.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by fovc
I finally got sick of this and wrote a greasemonkey script to replace the useless reservation name with the record locator. Since I'm new, I can't seem to post the link to the script, but here's the code. Someone with more reputation can link to domain=pastes.io/, path = raw/ohreaytel8#.user.js, which would allow someone with greasemonkey (firefox, where I tested) or tampermonkey (chrome, untested) to use it.
Spoiler

Thanks for the effort. Not a techie but I hope someone here can make it operational.
ZenFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.