Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

My sister in law flying today SNA-DFW-EZE with only 45 min connection&already delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My sister in law flying today SNA-DFW-EZE with only 45 min connection&already delayed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

Not sure why AA would even allow such a tight connection to be booked, but it looks like the 45 min connection won't happen since the flight is 30 minutes delayed.

Not sure for how long AA holds an international flight when there are other passengers on late incoming flights.

Will they generally hold the flight?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Unlikely AA will hold it unless there are a lot of passengers on your sister's delayed flight connecting to EZE or there are many delayed flights with a lot of connecting passengers to EZE.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Buyer beware. Proceed at your own risk.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Buyer beware. Proceed at your own risk.
Yeah I mean, I get that AA sells it and most flyers are not that savvy but it does say "note connection time" in red letters. I feel bad for her but in the end you need to take responsibility for reading everything and deciding what risk is appropriate for you. Booking a 45 min domestic connection to an international flight with no later options is probably not the best idea.

Most likely her trip is getting delayed by a day.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah I mean, I get that AA sells it and most flyers are not that savvy but it does say "note connection time" in red letters. I feel bad for her but in the end you need to take responsibility for reading everything and deciding what risk is appropriate for you. Booking a 45 min domestic connection to an international flight with no later options is probably not the best idea.

Most likely her trip is getting delayed by a day.
I’m not so sure that she doesn’t make the connection. I fly SNA-DFW on about 95% of my flights through DFW. While I always book at least a 2hr connection, I’ve not had a SNA-DFW delay of over 10 min in awhile. I’ll wager she makes it with 10 min to spare. Hope the Op posts the results. Cheers!
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tack
I’m not so sure that she doesn’t make the connection. I fly SNA-DFW on about 95% of my flights through DFW. While I always book at least a 2hr connection, I’ve not had a SNA-DFW delay of over 10 min in awhile. I’ll wager she makes it with 10 min to spare. Hope the Op posts the results. Cheers!
I've seen crazier stuff wrt connections made but if she really does land at T-15 there's a good chance that the door to her next flight is closed before she gets off the plane.

Hopefully she made it though
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Tack
Unfortunately she didn't have the same luck. The 1:37pm flight was delayed by about 30 minutes.

I thought they "might" hold it for them, as there's only one DFW to EZE per day, but they didn't and it was just not enough time (EZE 997 delayed by ten minutes but probably needed a 25 minute delay to happen)

Also, this was booked by a travel agency in Argentina.

Whenever I fly international, I ALWAYS give myself at least a 2.5 connection time. I'd rather have some built in cushion and since I l have lounge access it just makes sense.

When she showed me the itinerary I must say, I made the concerned face I just didn't want to scare her

Last edited by caseminole; Jun 12, 2022 at 9:43 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
Unfortunately she didn't have the same luck. The 1:37pm flight was delayed by about 35 minutes.

I thought they "might" hold it for them, as there's only one DFW to EZE per day, but they didn't and it was just not enough time (EZE 997 delayed by ten minutes but probably needed a 25 minute delay to happen)
Is AA providing lodging and meals, or are they claiming "weather delay"?
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hopefully she made it though
Checking the schedule and flight status for both flights, AA2871, which was due arrive at DFW at 6:44 PM, arrived at 7:13 PM at gate B7 and AA997, which was due to depart at 7:30 PM, departed at 7:38 PM from gate A24.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by guv1976
For an international journey, the Montreal Convention applies and it doesn't exempt weather in regards to damages for delays
guv1976 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
They provided a hotel and meal voucher.

I tried to steer her to the DFW Marriott, but she said AA suggested the Wingate.

Perhaps the whole room comped not sure.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For an international journey, the Montreal Convention applies and it doesn't exempt weather in regards to damages for delays
This is a bit of a tangent, but who enforces the Montreal convention? Say an airline disagrees with you about what is owed... who can you complain to? Will the DOT get involved? State courts?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is a bit of a tangent, but who enforces the Montreal convention? Say an airline disagrees with you about what is owed... who can you complain to? Will the DOT get involved? State courts?
In the few times when I have had an issue and it has tried to disclaim something, after writing in detailing its obligations, it has then paid out without an issue
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an examination of some court cases. Airlines are exempted if they take "reasonable measures" to prevent delays which courts have interpreted liberally.
https://www.floridabar.org/the-flori...al-convention/
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by caseminole
Unfortunately she didn't have the same luck. The 1:37pm flight was delayed by about 30 minutes.

Also, this was booked by a travel agency in Argentina.

Whenever I fly international, I ALWAYS give myself at least a 2.5 connection time. I'd rather have some built in cushion and since I l have lounge access it just makes sense.

When she showed me the itinerary I must say, I made the concerned face I just didn't want to scare her
Sorry to hear. Nothing more frustrating than missing a connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.