Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

My sister in law flying today SNA-DFW-EZE with only 45 min connection&already delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My sister in law flying today SNA-DFW-EZE with only 45 min connection&already delayed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
When flying international, I try (within reason) to take a flight from origin to the gateway airport that leaves one other option to get me there if I have to bail on my original flight. In other words, if I'm flying AAA-BBB-CCC, I try to book where there's another way to get AAA-BBB after a time where it will be obvious that my original AAA-BBB flight isn't going to make it on time. Sometimes I have a long layover in BBB, but it saves on the stress.
Stewie Mac and jcatman like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Is SDC working with an international segment (other than LHR) in the itinerary? Pre-pandemic that didn't work (well, at least when I tried that was the explanation I was given).
Good point, I forgot that.

Can you stand by for an earlier flight with checked bags?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by caseminole
Well, yes, I agree, the travel agent should be on the hook, but if AA allows the booking, i think its shared responsibility. Yes, booked as a single itinerary
The agent is not on the hook for anything ( assuming the agent sold a through ticket ) ; the agent is just that, an agent. The airline is the one that decides what the connection time to be allowed is. The airline is the one solely responsible and accountable

There is nothing to share
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
They provided a hotel and meal voucher.

I tried to steer her to the DFW Marriott, but she said AA suggested the Wingate.

Perhaps the whole room comped not sure.
"Suggested". That's where they put us last year due to a 15 hour mech delay DFW-OGG. Total dump. Grand Hyatt would have been better.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
AA shares the responsibility in that they paid for a hotel room for the night and a meal voucher.

But it's up to the passenger to make sure that they are buying something reasonable. If they are fine with the 1 day delay, then fine, maybe it is reasonable. If not then they should have booked something else or changed it.
I agree 100%.

In this case, the TA and the passenger (also i forgot to mention she is with 3 teenage daughters) are all from Argentina.

Perhaps it shouldnt make a difference, and perhaps the TA knew better, but they dont travel a lot, so i think its just not something they even noticed.

They learned a valuable lesson though

I'll make sure they know not to do it next time!
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree 100%.

In this case, the TA and the passenger (also i forgot to mention she is with 3 teenage daughters) are all from Argentina.

Perhaps it shouldnt make a difference, and perhaps the TA knew better, but they dont travel a lot, so i think its just not something they even noticed.

They learned a valuable lesson though

I'll make sure they know not to do it next time!
Yeah I mean I definitely feel bad for them. Like I said earlier in the thread, not every traveler is savvy and has the experience that many people here do.

Honestly I would also blame the TA here. AA will sell the connection but they will warn you in red letters "note connection time". Did the TA warn them?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Good point, I forgot that.

Can you stand by for an earlier flight with checked bags?
If I remember correctly, only if you request the stand by when you check the bags in. I don't think a GA can/will do it for you.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by TWA884
Checking the schedule and flight status for both flights, AA2871, which was due arrive at DFW at 6:44 PM, arrived at 7:13 PM at gate B7 and AA997, which was due to depart at 7:30 PM, departed at 7:38 PM from gate A24.
Oof ... they didn't stand a chance. I hate that AA regularly runs IPD flights out of A.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Is SDC working with an international segment (other than LHR) in the itinerary? Pre-pandemic that didn't work (well, at least when I tried that was the explanation I was given).
Domestic to LHR worked for me a few weeks ago (didn’t take it), but will be giving it a try next week on a non-LHR international segment to see if I can shift my domestic segment back 90 minutes (fare difference was over $2k for the ideal flight).
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Domestic to LHR worked for me a few weeks ago (didn’t take it), but will be giving it a try next week on a non-LHR international segment to see if I can shift my domestic segment back 90 minutes (fare difference was over $2k for the ideal flight).
$2K! That's AA telling you to buy the short connection.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Well, yes, I agree, the travel agent should be on the hook, but if AA allows the booking, i think its shared responsibility. Yes, booked as a single itinerary

Just for fun, i just checked AA.com and was able to see the same itinerary; the connection time is 0:46, i dont know how to check the minimum connect time for DFW but if its 50 minutes, this didnt happen.

If you google "minimum connect time DFW" the first results says 0:50 minutes, but thats from a Flyertalk post and i cant see any link?
If sold by AA as a single itinerary, then AA is 100% on the hook here for making things right.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Keojisu
How many hours would you recommend? I'm flying from O'hare. Never been to DFW before.
Thank you
Which direction are you ultimately headed? For instance, when I booked for Dublin, I could either have gone New Orleans to Dallas then Dublin (better connection and flight times) or New Orleans to Philly, which I chose because there are more flights to Dublin from the east coast than from Dallas. This was in case I had to scramble for a flight in case of a cancellation….

I chose a 2.5 hour to 4 hour connection for my kids and for myself…
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
In general, I find the scheduled flight connections to be tight at DFW. Factor in the long taxi to the terminal and the typical need to take the train to a different concourse and most of my connections at DFW are boarding by the time I make it to the gate. It seems worse at DFW than ORD and other AA hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.