Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Should Consider Lounge Line Skipping for CK (Delta Piloting)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Should Consider Lounge Line Skipping for CK (Delta Piloting)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. DL also offers SkyClub access as one of their choice benefits for Diamonds. That's probably the largest contributor to DL lounge crowding. That, and the fact that the new DL lounges are actually worth spending money to visit. Unlike most Admirals Clubs (or United Clubs).
AA offers the same as a loyalty choice award.

I'm sure that there are more Amex Plat holders then Diamonds
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
There were between 50-60k EXPs before the pandemic and a similar number of DL Diamonds. Some reports say there are well over 1M Amex Platinum cardholders in the US alone. It isn't hard to figure out why DL lounges are crowded.
dw, Spiff, ceebee100 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There's also a Delta co-branded Amex Plat that gives access. But it doesn't have many of the benefits as the regular Amex Plat.

Of course the Amex Plat is more popular than the Citi AA Exec. The Citi Exec is basically a discounted lounge membership and not much else. It's only useful for one airline. The Amex Plat is (IMO) the best travel credit card out there by a wide margin. You are not linked to getting benefits when you fly one airline. You get 5 pts per dollar on any airfare booked through an airline, and the points are transferable to a lot of airlines (including a few very valuable ones), you get lounge access in many airports regardless of the airline you are flying, and the IAP saves a lot of money if you buy international premium cabin tickets. There are also some hotel benefits that honestly I never use, but some people get good value there. You can also get discounts on just about any AA ticket.
But you don't get the AA LP multiplier with an Amex Plat
ajf87 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:57 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
There's also a Delta co-branded Amex Plat that gives access. But it doesn't have many of the benefits as the regular Amex Plat.
Yep. The co-branded Amex Delta Plat gives access for $39 (DL does not sell day passes to everyone anymore--you need the card) and the Amex Delta Reserve gives complimentary access.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm sure that there are more Amex Plat holders then Diamonds
So what? By definition, Diamonds tend to fly Delta, and frequently. Amex Plat holders may be flying any carrier, and when they do, will tend to access the CL, where they can guest their buddies for free. I'm sure many aren't even aware of the SkyClub benefit.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
So what? By definition, Diamonds tend to fly Delta, and frequently. Amex Plat holders may be flying any carrier, and when they do, will tend to access the CL, where they can guest their buddies for free. I'm sure many aren't even aware of the SkyClub benefit.
1. DL is one of the world's largest airlines and commands a significant market share in the US.
2. Even if most Amex Platinums are flying other airlines (I feel Amex Platinum cardholders skew away from the likes of Southwest, Allegiant/Spirit/Fronteir, but whatever), just 10% who regularly fly DL amounts to about double the amount of Delta DMs.
3. Delta SKs are much more numerous than ACs and they still have awful crowding problems. This is primarily due to them selling access to Amex.
4. There are 4x as many SKs as there are CLs. Most SK airports don't have CLs, so Amex Plat holders will "tend to access" SKs.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:44 am

We don't need a skip-the-line for CK. It's rarely a problem so we don't need a solution for it.

That said, I have had an agent open up a meeting room for me when the lounge was jammed, similar to how Amex has some reserved tables for Centurion members (well, at least they used to).
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by dave_261
We don't need a skip-the-line for CK. It's rarely a problem so we don't need a solution for it.

That said, I have had an agent open up a meeting room for me when the lounge was jammed, similar to how Amex has some reserved tables for Centurion members (well, at least they used to).
Opening a meeting room for you sounds like awesome customer service, that's great. Haven't been to DCA for a while, but the small lounge in the B/C pier was frequently quite crowded with empty conference rooms. Definitely providing an exclusive experience there, thumbs up to AA's lounge staff for accommodating you properly. Not unlike BA that opens the CCR for high-mileage (TP?) Gold+ members. Not completely the same either, but an interesting reference point nonetheless.

It's the little things and proper customer service gestures that make flying frequently either (1) a non-issue or (2) downright pleasant or (3) less miserable, depending on your particular situation and outlook towards travel. Nobody's asking for a private jet BBJ/G650 experience here (okay, some may recommend you do that when they have no clue about the cost difference, but still), it's a great willful gesture of AA.

Onto the thread's initial topic: I usually book flights for "off" times that don't always have busy FL or AC, so I can't really comment on the issues with lines that some of the posters here have dealt with. And since the B/C admirals club is closed in CLT at this time, I grab a bite elsewhere in the terminal and enjoy my time there without worrying about club access.

Long post / wall of text / but I hope that makes sense.

Very interesting read on this thread, for sure.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
But you don't get the AA LP multiplier with an Amex Plat
You mean the RDM multiplier? Because the Citi Exec card is still only getting you 1x LP per dollar spent, even if it’s on AA. So you’re missing out on an additional 1x LP, but that’s it. (And personally, I’d always take 5x MR over the 2x AA RDM from the Citi card or the 3x from the Barclays Silver. If an AA card gave 5x RDM then I’d probably use that sometimes, though.)
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
RED HIGHLIGHTS ARE MINE.

Remember, children: The purpose of the exercise is to arrive safely at your destination-all else is just gravy or castor oil.
Fly safely, all.
From these forums (and much of the bloggers), I've been under the impression that flying was some version of gaining various levels of membership within a (not very private) club. Doesn't matter where I am going. What matters is that I get Krug in F served by a flight attendant wearing white gloves before the plane goes weeeeee.
johnash, FlyingEgghead and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond

Of course the Amex Plat is more popular than the Citi AA Exec. The Citi Exec is basically a discounted lounge membership and not much else. It's only useful for one airline. The Amex Plat is (IMO) the best travel credit card out there by a wide margin. You are not limited to getting benefits when you fly one airline. You get 5 pts per dollar on any airfare booked through an airline, and the points are transferable to a lot of airlines (including a few very valuable ones), you get lounge access in many airports regardless of the airline you are flying, and the IAP saves a lot of money if you buy international premium cabin tickets. There are also some hotel benefits that honestly I never use, but some people get good value there. You can also get discounts on just about any AA ticket.
The downside of this is when you have to make changes to an Amex ticket - it's a nightmare. I recall EXP/CK can have AA take over the ticket (is this still a thing?) but for others, it is just a disaster dealing with Amex travel. YMMV.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

I just deleted a few posts from this thread that were reported by other FT'ers. Thank you for reporting them!

Please keep away from getting too personal.
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#gettingpersonal
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.

If this behavior continues, this thread will be closed.

Thank you.

/moderator
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
I remember when lounges were supposed to be a refuge from all the lines at the airport.

Clearly, we need a members-only club for travelers who want to get away from the chaos of the Admirals Club.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I remember when lounges were supposed to be a refuge from all the lines at the airport.

Clearly, we need a members-only club for travelers who want to get away from the chaos of the Admirals Club.
As Yogi Berra once said, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
roadtriper, jcatman and Spanish like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
While a nice thought has anyone encountered long lines at AA lounges? I've dealt with a big line at the ATL B SC but not once have I waited in a line to enter an Admirals Club or FL this year at any airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.