Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket where segment was canceled

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Award ticket where segment was canceled

Does anybody know what the AA policy is for award tickets on partner airlines when there are schedule changes?

The background: I have an Australia trip coming up in November. I managed to find a business class saver award ticket for two flying SYD-YVR-SEA. I was really excited to find this availability and don't want to do anything that could risk it being canceled, because the odds of me finding another one are basically zero. The SYD-YVR leg is on Qantas and the YVR-SEA is on Alaska. Things ticketed about 4 months ago, but then Alaska changed their schedules, and the second leg does not exist. The last flight out from YVR-SEA on Alaska leaves 2 hours before I am scheduled to arrive. There is a flight out the next morning that I could make if I added an overnight layover.

I called AA, and was pretty surprised when the agent basically told me there was nothing else available that day and nothing she could do, you're on your own. Either cancel the flight or find another way home. She wouldn't book me on the next morning alaska flight. Is this normal policy for award tickets? Is this just a matter of calling back later to hope for a different agent? I suppose it's also possible that Alaska will add another flight from Vancouver to Seattle, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: ba silver
As you are connecting through Canada our bill of rights applies.

As far as Canadian law is concerned both airlines are jointly responsible. AS is legally required to transport you on their next flight in your ticketed cabin. If they cannot do so with six hours they are legally required to reroute on any airline.

Get a copy of the law online when you travel. The problem in these situations is either the airlines are not familiar with the law or don't care, hoping the passenger gives up.

Hopefully this will change once the CTA starts issuing the massive fines against not only airlines, but in some cases employees who refuse to assist passengers and book them on flights that they required to do so.

This means that right now your only option would be to buy a ticket from YVR and then sue them or go through the CTA.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I suggest checking aa.com to see if there is award-seat availability (even in Economy) for the next morning's YVR-SEA flight on AS. If there is, the agent should be able to rebook you on it; if there isn't, ask the agent to have AA's oneworld liaison to reach out to AS about opening up award seats on that flight. If the AA agent refuses to do that, call AS, and ask if they can open up two award seats on the morning flight; if they do, immediately call AA, and ask AA to book them for you before someone else grabs them.

Given the frequent long hold times when calling AA during the day, if you first have to contact AS, I would suggest doing so late at night.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bork
Does anybody know what the AA policy is for award tickets on partner airlines when there are schedule changes?

The background: I have an Australia trip coming up in November. I managed to find a business class saver award ticket for two flying SYD-YVR-SEA. I was really excited to find this availability and don't want to do anything that could risk it being canceled, because the odds of me finding another one are basically zero. The SYD-YVR leg is on Qantas and the YVR-SEA is on Alaska. Things ticketed about 4 months ago, but then Alaska changed their schedules, and the second leg does not exist. The last flight out from YVR-SEA on Alaska leaves 2 hours before I am scheduled to arrive. There is a flight out the next morning that I could make if I added an overnight layover.

I called AA, and was pretty surprised when the agent basically told me there was nothing else available that day and nothing she could do, you're on your own. Either cancel the flight or find another way home. She wouldn't book me on the next morning alaska flight. Is this normal policy for award tickets? Is this just a matter of calling back later to hope for a different agent? I suppose it's also possible that Alaska will add another flight from Vancouver to Seattle, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
It's standard policy if there's no saver award space. The overnight layover is not a problem as long as it's under 24 hr.

You could try pushing but for such a short and cheap connector flight I don't see the point. Personally I would just pay to fly YVR-SEA. Will you really save much money if they book you the next day? Remember that you will have to pay for a hotel if you take an overnight layover. These flights seem to be available for $173 CAD ($137 US) just about every day in November, and you are not limited to AS.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: ba silver
By law both the issuing airline are required to rebook on the next available flight. AS must offer seats on their next available flight no exceptions.

Its clearly in the CTA bill of rights. I would not wait for the next day though as the OP is required to be rebooked on any flight after six hours.

I know what I am talking about. Seven months ago my AA award flight was cancelled out of YUL. The was no way the phone agents were going to put me on non-OW. I simply showed up at the AA ticket counter showed them the law from one of the pamphlets on their counter. The agent said she knew the law, made a phone call and I was rebooked on AC.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all who have replied. I did not know that this bill of rights even existed, but it certainly seems to apply in this case. Looks like Alaska is obliged to rebook me on a competitor for the same day since their next available is 15 hours out. I just need to make sure this happens in a way that doesn’t jeopardize the first leg of my award.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's standard policy if there's no saver award space. The overnight layover is not a problem as long as it's under 24 hr.

You could try pushing but for such a short and cheap connector flight I don't see the point. Personally I would just pay to fly YVR-SEA. Will you really save much money if they book you the next day? Remember that you will have to pay for a hotel if you take an overnight layover. These flights seem to be available for $173 CAD ($137 US) just about every day in November, and you are not limited to AS.
I think that under the Montreal Convention, the airline would be liable for costs due to the delay since "The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers" - regardless if there is a Canadian law that requires that the airline rebook on next flight, why pay the CAD173 rather than have the airline pay?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,

At the end of the day it’s HUCA to find the right agent and DYKWIA
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:51 pm

OP, do you specifically want to fly on Qantas? If not, given you will misconnect due to the schedule change, you should be able to ask AA to rebook the entire inbound trip on any AA Prime flights without needing award availability.
i.e. You can ask to be rebooked on AA 72 (SYD-LAX). AA 72's scheduled arrival at LAX is at 6:05AM, allows for easy connection to any of the AA flights going LAX-SEA that day.

Last edited by Ragnarok; Jun 5, 2022 at 8:00 pm
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
By law both the issuing airline are required to rebook on the next available flight. AS must offer seats on their next available flight no exceptions.
The AS flight is issued by AA on their own ticket stock. Is it not AA's responsibility to rebook?

I have a BA codeshare operated by AY and the AY flight canceled, I didn't call AY for resolution; BA resolved it.

James
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
As you are connecting through Canada our bill of rights applies.

As far as Canadian law is concerned both airlines are jointly responsible. AS is legally required to transport you on their next flight in your ticketed cabin. If they cannot do so with six hours they are legally required to reroute on any airline.

Get a copy of the law online when you travel. The problem in these situations is either the airlines are not familiar with the law or don't care, hoping the passenger gives up.

Hopefully this will change once the CTA starts issuing the massive fines against not only airlines, but in some cases employees who refuse to assist passengers and book them on flights that they required to do so.

This means that right now your only option would be to buy a ticket from YVR and then sue them or go through the CTA.
I don't think Air Passenger Protection Regulations make both airlines jointly responsible to reaccomodate. Only AS is liable to arrange alternative transportation which is not happening until day of departure. There is no requirement that rebooking needs to happen in advance.

Under APPR section 2 (2)
https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regul.../FullText.html
Joint liability

(2) However, if one carrier carries passengers on behalf of another carrier under a commercial agreement, the carriers are jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable to those passengers with respect to the obligations set out in sections 7, 22 and 24, or, if they are more favourable to those passengers, the obligations on the same matter that are set out in the applicable tariff.
Section 7 is in regards to posting notice at airport.
Section 22 is in regards to seat assignment for those 14 and under.
Section 24 is in regards to musical instruments.

Its clearly in the CTA bill of rights. I would not wait for the next day though as the OP is required to be rebooked on any flight after six hours.

I know what I am talking about. Seven months ago my AA award flight was cancelled out of YUL. The was no way the phone agents were going to put me on non-OW. I simply showed up at the AA ticket counter showed them the law from one of the pamphlets on their counter. The agent said she knew the law, made a phone call and I was rebooked on AC.
As indicated above, that is not what the law requires. Obligation to rebook is only on AS.

Thank you all who have replied. I did not know that this bill of rights even existed, but it certainly seems to apply in this case. Looks like Alaska is obliged to rebook me on a competitor for the same day since their next available is 15 hours out. I just need to make sure this happens in a way that doesn’t jeopardize the first leg of my award.
AS is not going to rebook you until day of travel. APPR is poorly written when it comes to interline travel and does not take in account the real world and how the industry operates.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The AS flight is issued by AA on their own ticket stock. Is it not AA's responsibility to rebook?

I have a BA codeshare operated by AY and the AY flight canceled, I didn't call AY for resolution; BA resolved it.

James
AA is not required to rebook as stated above. They will try to rebook if AS makes award space available (via OW desk). Their only real obligation is refund.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
OP, do you specifically want to fly on Qantas? If not, given you will misconnect due to the schedule change, you should be able to ask AA to rebook the entire inbound trip on any AA Prime flights without needing award availability.
i.e. You can ask to be rebooked on AA 72 (SYD-LAX). AA 72's scheduled arrival at LAX is at 6:05AM, allows for easy connection to any of the AA flights going LAX-SEA that day.
This is your best option IMHO -- ask AA to rebook on all AA prime flights.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Do you think that they would actually open up business award space on that flight to make that change? I'm not married to Qantas, they just had the saver J award that is really hard to find.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
why pay the CAD173 rather than have the airline pay?
Because it's by far the easiest option and I would rather pay $137 then go through the hassle of any of the other options suggested.

How many hours on hold, how many phone conversations, and how much paperwork are we talking about filling here? How much is your time worth?

If we were talking about thousands of dollars (or even many hundreds) my answer would be different.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Do you think that they would actually open up business award space on that flight to make that change? I'm not married to Qantas, they just had the saver J award that is really hard to find.
Yes. AA will rebook on AA operated flight in situations like this. They can request but can't force AS to open up award space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.