Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship First Experience at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Flagship First Experience at JFK

I don’t have many opportunities to fly out of JFK. So when one came up, it was time to finally try Flagship First. I’m a lightweight when it comes to premium travel so this was a big deal to me. I was really looking forward to it.

This planning involved a lot of contortions as my husband wanted to fly out from EWR. So him and my son did United via EWR while I went through JFK. I also had to stay a night in my brother’s Long Island home as my flight was pretty early- at 6:30 AM.

When my brother dropped me off at the airport on 5/29/22, I saw the Flagship First Checkin sign outside- just as promised by various bloggers and vloggers that I had been reading. Weee! The journey had begun. But well, it was closed.. In its lieu was a Temporary Flagship First checkin counter- which really was just the regular counter to begin with. No worries. Moving on.

Next wrinkle- PreCheck was closed. That’s OK. Just showed boarding pass and still kept shoes and whatnots on. Then I saw my hand carry take alternative track for secondary search. But of course- why would that not happen to me?

In Flagship Lounge, was asked “Is Miss Imbisibol joining us at Flagship First Dining this morning?” Finally! Those were exact words the bloggers and vloggers said I would be greeted with! But I said no.

I said I wanted to take a shower first. So there I went and took a shower. Dyson hair dryer was broken.

I finally reach Flagship First Dining. Pleasant enough greeting. I asked for and received a booth. Asked for a Bellini. They don’t serve alcohol until 10 AM. I wanted to cry. But composure won, of course. Asked for green tea then, I did.

I had the cucumber and compressed watermelon- which was pretty good. And also the carrot and cream cheese sponge. I almost convinced myself that it went pretty well with the green tea.

Onboard, I was on 5F as I don’t like having anyone behind me. I had pre-ordered the salmon frittata. It wasn’t good. Also had two glasses of Cuvée. I managed to fall asleep for a couple of hours.

At SFO, I had to claim my luggage, take Air Train to Terminal 3, wait 3 hours, then board my homeward flight to PDX via United. Yep, all these to experience Flagship First.

But hey, I’m not complaining. I think that yes- I probably would have had a better experience were my flight later in the day. But good, bad, or middle of the road experience- I would never have rested until I actually tried it first hand. And besides, if I had let my saner personality prevail and just flew out of EWR, I would still be fighting with it today.

Bottomline: I’m glad I experienced it- or at least some aspects of it.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've flown FF a few times, JFK-LAX, SFO-LAX, MIA-LAX.

For MIA-LAX they gave me a brief runaround about FF checkin, I'm not sure why. Although it really wasn't that big a deal. What WAS a big deal was that my flight was at 1:35 and FF dining didn't open until 1:00. I actually sat behind someone who said he had scarfed down a lunch after they opened and was the last one on the plane. He was younger and more mobile than me, so I'm glad I didn't try.

I don't really fly for the food, so I can't comment about the onboard food. But there was only a microscopic difference between the J and F seats on the 77W, and really none on the A321T.

The FL was closed in LAX, and I'm not sure whether there even was one in SFO. However I did get FFD on JFK on both the outbound and the return. Like many things I am reminded of the Dom DeLuise line as Caesar from "Mel Brooks History Of The World Part I" when he is presented with a bathtub as a gift from one monarch to another - "Nice. Not thrilling, but nice."

These were all deeply discounted trips, the MIA-LAX was about $1000 and the two from/to JFK around $1200ish. I wouldn't even think of booking them at current prices. I might spend an SWU on one, except that the Flagship Biz tickets I have booked are for red-eyes LAX-MIA,and I'm not sure it's worth it basically just for FFD at LAX - which whenI was there last, wasn't even open.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Sorry to hear it. But to be honest, it’s about the lie flat seat and extra room. Occasionally you will be surprised on the upside but don’t expect it. FFD is nowhere nears as good as a better restaurant in NYC
Markie likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:31 am

I totally agree about a later flight.. Most of my flights to LAX or SFO are in the late afternoon as I can take full advantage of the FFD experience at JFK
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:18 pm

Sounds like "a la carte" dining and table service no longer in the JFK F.L.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by imbisibol
I don’t have many opportunities to fly out of JFK. So when one came up, it was time to finally try Flagship First. I’m a lightweight when it comes to premium travel so this was a big deal to me. I was really looking forward to it.

This planning involved a lot of contortions as my husband wanted to fly out from EWR. So him and my son did United via EWR while I went through JFK. I also had to stay a night in my brother’s Long Island home as my flight was pretty early- at 6:30 AM.

When my brother dropped me off at the airport on 5/29/22, I saw the Flagship First Checkin sign outside- just as promised by various bloggers and vloggers that I had been reading. Weee! The journey had begun. But well, it was closed.. In its lieu was a Temporary Flagship First checkin counter- which really was just the regular counter to begin with. No worries. Moving on.

Next wrinkle- PreCheck was closed. That’s OK. Just showed boarding pass and still kept shoes and whatnots on. Then I saw my hand carry take alternative track for secondary search. But of course- why would that not happen to me?

In Flagship Lounge, was asked “Is Miss Imbisibol joining us at Flagship First Dining this morning?” Finally! Those were exact words the bloggers and vloggers said I would be greeted with! But I said no.

I said I wanted to take a shower first. So there I went and took a shower. Dyson hair dryer was broken.

I finally reach Flagship First Dining. Pleasant enough greeting. I asked for and received a booth. Asked for a Bellini. They don’t serve alcohol until 10 AM. I wanted to cry. But composure won, of course. Asked for green tea then, I did.

I had the cucumber and compressed watermelon- which was pretty good. And also the carrot and cream cheese sponge. I almost convinced myself that it went pretty well with the green tea.

Onboard, I was on 5F as I don’t like having anyone behind me. I had pre-ordered the salmon frittata. It wasn’t good. Also had two glasses of Cuvée. I managed to fall asleep for a couple of hours.

At SFO, I had to claim my luggage, take Air Train to Terminal 3, wait 3 hours, then board my homeward flight to PDX via United. Yep, all these to experience Flagship First.

But hey, I’m not complaining. I think that yes- I probably would have had a better experience were my flight later in the day. But good, bad, or middle of the road experience- I would never have rested until I actually tried it first hand. And besides, if I had let my saner personality prevail and just flew out of EWR, I would still be fighting with it today.

I am surprised FFD was even open for a 6:30AM departure. Booking an early AM or late PM flight, certainly limits the experience. I believe the 9:30PM departure from JFK-LAX does not serve dinner in F or J, but a snack.
Markie likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgasser
I am surprised FFD was even open for a 6:30AM departure.
FFD being open was a non-negotiable that I took into account with that flight. I can’t recall exact time now, but it opens at either 4:00 AM or 4:30 AM.

I was the first one in FFD. After about 20 minutes, a single male came in. Few more minutes and gaggle of quite loud 3 females came in.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Generally, a super early morning departure isn't going to be the best place to try our a US carrier's premium product, unfortunately.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by imbisibol

I went out the way too my first time. Little I knew I would be flying that route many times for work in the ensuing years, in both Business and First. A great way to cross the country, although AA service could be so frustratingly variable at times!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.