AA Plat Alaska Free Drinks in Y?

Old Jun 2, 22, 11:16 am
Original Poster

AA Plat Alaska Free Drinks in Y?

I don't usually fly AS, but I found myself on the west coast and needed to pop up to Seattle. Booked last minute so no premium seats available. But I did at least get the exit row. When the drink cart came around to my row the FA addressed me, and only me, by name and asked what I would like. (AA doesn't even do this in F most of the time so my ears perked up a little bit) I asked for a gin and tonic, reached for my wallet, and payment was refused. She said "it's on us". My two row mates only asked for a coke or something so I'm not sure if this something typical on AS? Or is there some AA Plat --> AS benefit I didn't know about? To the best of my knowledge, AS doesn't have a MCE style benefit in the main cabin with free drinks. But maybe I'm wrong.

Any ideas?

It's unfortunately "weird" when the slightest nice thing like a friendly FA and being called by my name, is shockingly pleasing and noteworthy. But hey, I'll take it over AA making me feel like i'm inconveniencing them by being on board.
Old Jun 2, 22, 11:42 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rhg247 View Post
But hey, I'll take it over AA making me feel like i'm inconveniencing them by being on board.
"Primarily on board for your safety"
Old Jun 2, 22, 11:49 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP
If you look at their membership benefits, Alaska offers a complimentary premium beverage or chocolate to MVP Gold and up. It seems that they extend this to AA Platinum and up (and possibly to all oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites?).
Kawliga and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 2, 22, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VFR View Post
If you look at their membership benefits, Alaska offers a complimentary premium beverage or chocolate to MVP Gold and up. It seems that they extend this to AA Platinum and up (and possibly to all oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites?).
Ahh, I think you may have cracked it!
And now that you mention it, she did also hand me a chocolate bar.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 22, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Did you hand her a Barclay's Aviator credit card app?
fotographer, Antarius and jtav559 like this.
Old Jun 2, 22, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Did you hand her a Barclay's Aviator credit card app?
Haha...nooo...we don't want to start encouraging that on AS!
AAway and Spiff like this.
Old Jun 2, 22, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA: CK
But hey, I'll take it over AA making me feel like i'm inconveniencing them by being on board.
But we are an inconvenience to them. Anything that distracts sky heroes from keeping us safe is an unnecessary danger.🙏
Old Jun 3, 22, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
"Primarily on board for your safety"
The fastest way to "inconvenience a flight attendant by being on board" is if you leave your window shade up on a transatlantic flight. Flight attendants insist on shades being lowered because that makes passengers more likely to go to sleep and not make requests of them. If passengers have the shades up and enjoy views of Greenland, then these passengers are more likely to make requests of flight attendants.
TheDudeAbides and njvandy like this.
Old Jun 3, 22, 11:49 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Ahh, I think you may have cracked it!
A free drink AND chocolate bar (when their perk says or)? WTG, Alaska!
rhg247, Flying for Fun and AAway like this.
Old Jun 3, 22, 10:10 pm

To the best of my knowledge, AS doesn't have a MCE style benefit in the main cabin with free drinks. But maybe I'm wrong.
AS does list complimentary cocktails, wine, and beer on their premium class page as an MCE style benefit.
Old Jun 4, 22, 5:17 pm

Thats pretty great to get it even when not in the Premium Class section.

Ive flown AS several times since they joined oneworld and each time at least one FA has said thanks for being an Emerald and thank you for your loyalty its a very nice touch. I wish they would make the upgrade process a little more reliable, Ive always had to contact an agent once Im in the upgrade window and/or ask at the gate to be re-added to the waitlist.
rhg247 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
To the best of my knowledge, AS doesn't have a MCE style benefit in the main cabin with free drinks. But maybe I'm wrong.
Booze is free in the Premium Class ("MCE") cabin regardless of elite status (but the chocolates are only given to the elites AFAIK). I'm not sure if they treat the exit row as part of that class though like AA does. On AA, you get free booze in the exit row regardless of your elite status - I'm not sure if that's the case with AS.
Old Jun 5, 22, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
I'm pretty sure this goes to all Sapphires and Emeralds in coach.

Search this Thread