FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Plat Alaska Free Drinks in Y? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2081542-aa-plat-alaska-free-drinks-y.html)

rhg247 Jun 2, 2022 11:16 am

AA Plat Alaska Free Drinks in Y?

I don't usually fly AS, but I found myself on the west coast and needed to pop up to Seattle. Booked last minute so no premium seats available. But I did at least get the exit row. When the drink cart came around to my row the FA addressed me, and only me, by name and asked what I would like. (AA doesn't even do this in F most of the time so my ears perked up a little bit) I asked for a gin and tonic, reached for my wallet, and payment was refused. She said "it's on us". My two row mates only asked for a coke or something so I'm not sure if this something typical on AS? Or is there some AA Plat --> AS benefit I didn't know about? To the best of my knowledge, AS doesn't have a MCE style benefit in the main cabin with free drinks. But maybe I'm wrong.

Any ideas?

It's unfortunately "weird" when the slightest nice thing like a friendly FA and being called by my name, is shockingly pleasing and noteworthy. But hey, I'll take it over AA making me feel like i'm inconveniencing them by being on board.

Antarius Jun 2, 2022 11:42 am

Originally Posted by rhg247 (Post 34301489)
But hey, I'll take it over AA making me feel like i'm inconveniencing them by being on board.

"Primarily on board for your safety"

VFR Jun 2, 2022 11:49 am

If you look at their membership benefits, Alaska offers a complimentary premium beverage or chocolate to MVP Gold and up. It seems that they extend this to AA Platinum and up (and possibly to all oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites?).

rhg247 Jun 2, 2022 11:54 am

Originally Posted by VFR (Post 34301582)
If you look at their membership benefits, Alaska offers a complimentary premium beverage or chocolate to MVP Gold and up. It seems that they extend this to AA Platinum and up (and possibly to all oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites?).

Ahh, I think you may have cracked it!
And now that you mention it, she did also hand me a chocolate bar.

enviroian Jun 2, 2022 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by rhg247 (Post 34301600)

Did you hand her a Barclay's Aviator credit card app?

rhg247 Jun 2, 2022 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 34301654)
Did you hand her a Barclay's Aviator credit card app?

Haha...nooo...we don't want to start encouraging that on AS!

BlooJoo Jun 2, 2022 1:38 pm

But hey, I'll take it over AA making me feel like i'm inconveniencing them by being on board.

But we are an inconvenience to them. Anything that distracts sky heroes from keeping us safe is an unnecessary danger.🙏

JoeDTW Jun 3, 2022 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 34301563)
"Primarily on board for your safety"

The fastest way to "inconvenience a flight attendant by being on board" is if you leave your window shade up on a transatlantic flight. Flight attendants insist on shades being lowered because that makes passengers more likely to go to sleep and not make requests of them. If passengers have the shades up and enjoy views of Greenland, then these passengers are more likely to make requests of flight attendants.

Kawliga Jun 3, 2022 11:49 am

Originally Posted by rhg247 (Post 34301600)
Ahh, I think you may have cracked it!

A free drink AND chocolate bar (when their perk says “or”)? WTG, Alaska! :D

ChillyDawg Jun 3, 2022 10:10 pm

To the best of my knowledge, AS doesn't have a MCE style benefit in the main cabin with free drinks. But maybe I'm wrong.

AS does list complimentary cocktails, wine, and beer on their premium class page as an MCE style benefit.

jamabam Jun 4, 2022 5:17 pm

That’s pretty great to get it even when not in the Premium Class section.

I’ve flown AS several times since they joined oneworld and each time at least one FA has said “thanks for being an Emerald and thank you for your loyalty” it’s a very nice touch. I wish they would make the upgrade process a little more reliable, I’ve always had to contact an agent once I’m in the upgrade window and/or ask at the gate to be re-added to the waitlist.

AAway Jun 4, 2022 5:33 pm

To the best of my knowledge, AS doesn't have a MCE style benefit in the main cabin with free drinks. But maybe I'm wrong.

Booze is free in the Premium Class ("MCE") cabin regardless of elite status (but the chocolates are only given to the elites AFAIK). I'm not sure if they treat the exit row as part of that class though like AA does. On AA, you get free booze in the exit row regardless of your elite status - I'm not sure if that's the case with AS.

ashill Jun 5, 2022 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by VFR (Post 34301582)

I'm pretty sure this goes to all Sapphires and Emeralds in coach.