Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How do I know which is the marketing airline for flight booked through OTA Cheapticke

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I know which is the marketing airline for flight booked through OTA Cheapticke

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: KFEG, OZ *G

Dear all
I need some help.
I booked a flight from Cheaptickets.
It comprises of a flight on JAL and one on AA.
Now, how do I know which is the marketing airline, as I understand that the mileage accural for Oneworld is based on the marketing airline? (Do correct me if I am wrong)
Thanks all
Old May 31, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The marketing airline should be whatever flight numbers are on your email confirmation. So if it shows flight JL9876 and JL5432 then it's marketed by JL, etc.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:16 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
If you look up your booking on AA.com, it should say the flight numbers (e.g. AA 8476 vs JL 8).

There is a chance that the flights have different marketing (e.g. JL out and AA back).

oneworld does base mileage accrual off of the marketing carrier.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: KFEG, OZ *G
Thanks guys
I tried using the booking reference on AA.com and it doesnt work.
No issues when i logged on to JAL
So i presume must be JAL as marketing
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dunkmycar
Thanks guys
No, just because you can pull up the flights at JL doesn't necessarily mean it's JL marketed. If you have flights on both JL and AA then you should have both a JL record and an AA record, you most likely just plugged the JL record into aa.com (which wouldn't work).

What does your email confirmation say?!
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
If this is ticketed on AA stock and they do not consider it a special fare and has the fare details, wouldn't it just earn points etc based on fare paid?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dunkmycar
Thanks guys
On your TICKET the airline flight numbers would match the marketing carrier. If your ticket says a flight is JLxxx, then JL is the marketing carrier for that flight
The booking number working on a site means it is probably ticketed by that carrier, but that doesn't make it the marketing carrier
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mcgahat
If this is ticketed on AA stock and they do not consider it a special fare and has the fare details, wouldn't it just earn points etc based on fare paid?
No – what matters is the flight numbers (the marketing airline, which is not the same as the ticketing airline). AA flight numbers will earn by price, whoever issued the ticket and JL flight numbers will earn by distance, whoever issues the ticket.

Of course, AA-issued tickets will generally use AA codeshares whenever they can, but not all flights have codeshares and if you ask nicely AA will give you non-codeshares (not sure if you can get AA to give you codeshares on AA metal - does anyone know?)
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Of course, AA-issued tickets will generally use AA codeshares whenever they can, but not all flights have codeshares and if you ask nicely AA will give you non-codeshares (not sure if you can get AA to give you codeshares on AA metal - does anyone know?)
If the fare and routing rules allow it, it will - have to do it over the phone rather than appearing as option online ime
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
No – what matters is the flight numbers (the marketing airline, which is not the same as the ticketing airline). AA flight numbers will earn by price, whoever issued the ticket and JL flight numbers will earn by distance, whoever issues the ticket.

Ok, so that is good to know. AA pretty much defaults to AA flight numbers on the web and in the app I dont think there is any way to change to allow for partner flight numbers versus the AA flight numbers. That is good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.