Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

missed connection on award ticket, chose not to continue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2022, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Good Day!

We had an award ticket from PTP to MIA then MIA to BWI. The flight out of PTP was delayed. Then a storm at MIA caused us to sit for 2 hrs in the plane waiting for a gate. We missed our connection, like literally saw them close the doors on us. They didn't have another flight to the area until 2 days later, so we booked with another carrier on our own. They said to call an AA agent to get a partial refund. Since its an award ticket, is it worth calling? What would the refund be? Taxes on the second flight?
Old May 28, 2022, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Typically prorated on distance. So a roughly 40% refund of whatever miles you paid.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:27 pm

just guessing. But I am thi if. An award PTP MIA would be the same miles as PTP BWI, so I doubt you will get miles back. Maybe just a customer service set of Miles.

Originally Posted by nagemnna
Good Day!

We had an award ticket from PTP to MIA then MIA to BWI. The flight out of PTP was delayed. Then a storm at MIA caused us to sit for 2 hrs in the plane waiting for a gate. We missed our connection, like literally saw them close the doors on us. They didn't have another flight to the area until 2 days later, so we booked with another carrier on our own. They said to call an AA agent to get a partial refund. Since its an award ticket, is it worth calling? What would the refund be? Taxes on the second flight?
Old May 28, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by 777lover
just guessing. But I am thi if. An award PTP MIA would be the same miles as PTP BWI, so I doubt you will get miles back. Maybe just a customer service set of Miles.
I tend to disagree. I don't think they look at it that way. I base that on two prior experiences, one with US and one with AC. In both cases they offered a refund based on pro-rated distance. (In one case I negotiated a slightly better outcome.)
Old May 28, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by 777lover
PTP-MIA would cost the same as PTP-BWI on a sAAver award, but with web saver, I think it’s actually a debatable point
Old May 29, 2022, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll give them a call this week and post about the outcome
Old May 29, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
In a way it’s kinda odd how the options boil down to prorated miles, or opt to have them fly you back to origin and get all your miles back (via trip-in-vain).
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Just an update, called and the agent I spoke with said she couldn't do anything since it was an award ticket and that i had to reach out to the AA advantage customer service via email, but since we took part of the trip she didn't think there would be any refund.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, post flight issues are handled by Customer Service/Relations, which can generally only be contacted by the form on the website.

Telephone agents are reservations and only handle upcoming travel.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Ask AA about Trip in Vain. Not sure if this qualifies for it.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
[QUOTE=seawolf;34307397]Ask AA about Trip in Vain. Not sure if this qualifies for it.[/QUOTE

Definitely use the verbiage “Trip in vain”. This would work on a revenue trip that is interrupted. The question is whether it applies to an award flight.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[QUOTE=formeraa;34307479]
Originally Posted by seawolf
Ask AA about Trip in Vain. Not sure if this qualifies for it.[/QUOTE

Definitely use the verbiage “Trip in vain”. This would work on a revenue trip that is interrupted. The question is whether it applies to an award flight.
This doesn't seem to be a trip in vain. If my understanfing is correct the trip in vain provision would entitle the person to be taken back to the origin and refunded, It doesn't seem to allow for just travelling part of the way and getting a refund,
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 4:03 am

Programs: United Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by javabytes
Typically prorated on distance. So a roughly 40% refund of whatever miles you paid.
Had a similar situation as this last week. Revenue flight where we missed the connection on the outbound and opted to cancel the whole itinerary. Ended up receiving a partial refund roughly equal to the prorated distance flown. At least the refund was quick (received less than a week after the flight).
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I have twice invoked a "trip in vain," once on an award and once on a revenue flight. In both instances, I was made whole, meaning refunded the original price, as well as being flown back to my origin. On Delta, these words seemed to unlock a different computer screen for the agent. On AA, the Admirals Club handled the details without fuss.

First example was AA: MCI-CLT-PBI around 2016
Arriving in Charlotte, I misconnected and there were no seats to south Florida for the remainder of the day. But they could put me on the last jet back to KC, and they did. The AAngels got me the one remaining First seat back to KC. This was a J Class mileage award.

Second example was earlier, DL: DEN-ATL-BDL, around 2014. Similar story, but on a revenue ticket, also in domestic First. I was flown back that evening and had to chat with the gate agent a little, but was soon given the last seat in First on my way back to my origin, Denver. The person atop the upgrade waitlist looked pissed, but I had a paid First ticket, with whatever strange markings a trip-in-vain return endorsement also carries.

In both instances, the full original ticket price was also refunded (miles and money). It was if nothing ever happened, although I spent several hours flying around the country noshing on snacks and briefly visiting an overwhelmed hub.

Last edited by fastflyer; Feb 24, 2023 at 6:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.