Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Adult+child mixed cabins, stickers, upfaring & FF programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

A slightly complicated question:

I’m trying to earn BA tier points by flying an AA domestic itinerary of two or three short segments along with a child companion who doesn’t need to earn any points and for whose ticket I’d like to spend as little as possible.

I’m AA Gold (OW Ruby) and have a load of stickers I’d like to use up.

My first thought was to book us on one PNR both into economy and register for an upgrade using my stickers for both. But that’s mean I’d have to then somehow swap my AA number for my BA number before boarding and I also wouldn’t get the maximum possible tier credit for the segments since it’d be an X (upgraded economy) not a paid premium fare class.

Child companions have to be in the same cabin. Is there any way I could buy a domestic business class (or instant upgrade) fare class for myself and somehow end up with the child in the same class on an economy ticket using my own stickers to upgrade?
Old May 24, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, stickers are no longer needed for elites, and will be going away for companions later this year (and converted into loyalty points).
I wouldn't expect a Gold companion upgrade to clear in general so I don't think any of what you propose is really a viable option if you want to fly first class and get the extra TPs. Ditch the kid or buy them first class also.
USFlyerUS and S80 like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
My first thought was to book us on one PNR both into economy and register for an upgrade using my stickers for both. But that’s mean I’d have to then somehow swap my AA number for my BA number before boarding
This will risk being denied or having the upgrade rescinded, per the T&C:
You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage® number to obtain AAdvantage® program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades...
Old May 24, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
This will risk being denied or having the upgrade rescinded, per the T&C:
I'd be more worried about AA's potential future response if you get away with it too many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.